“Nice ambiance for a buffet”
Review of Heritage Buffet

Heritage Buffet
Ranked #103 of 145 Restaurants in Council Bluffs
Cuisines: American
Description: Located at the Ameristar Casino.
Description: Located at the Ameristar Casino.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Better than average ambiance for a buffet, attractive stations, but mediocre food. By comparison, Horseshoe's buffet had better food but not the cozy atmosphere.

1  Thank playabonita

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Heritage buffet is wonderful. The buffet features a wide selection of meats and many other choices. The atmosphere is delightful. We would reccomend the buffet and always watch for buffet promotions.

1  Thank michael s
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Heritage Buffet, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Hey Michael, thanks so much for your recommendation! I'm glad you had a delightful experience at our buffet and I hope you can dine with us again soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

A friend and I had not been in a few years, back when it was $11.99, now it is $16.99 on week nights. For a dollar more on Saturday and Sunday evenings they serve Prime Rib, which might be a good deal if the Prime Rib is any good. Not expecting Prime Rib, I hoped for at least a decent roast beef or carved turkey, but no such luck. What they served was a beef brisket with the entire fat cap left on! Three+ inches of fat and an inch or so of meat. Serving good brisket is an art-form, this was a disaster.
The mashed potatoes were so runny, almost lumpy soup, I would have been embarrassed to serve them. I passed and opted for some cheesy shredded hash browns which were okay, but even Hy-Vee's are better tasting with some original thought given to their recipe.
Sampled a Garlic Cream Cod that was a little too heavy on the garlic. The breaded Tilapia was good as was the fried Zucchini.
The fried chicken (possibly broasted) was perhaps the best thing on the buffet. The skin was nice and crispy without being greasy and the meat was juicy and tasty although perhaps a bit overly salted in the seasonings; but I don't pay anywhere near $16.99 for even the best broasted/fried chicken in town.
With plenty of options I wanted to sample a little more. For Chinese fare their Mongolian Beef had plenty of spice with lots of mushrooms and bamboo shoots, but a little short on beef (perhaps it had been picked through, but then should have been refreshed). The onions and peppers were a little soggy, but that's to be expected on a buffet. The General Tsao's Chicken was also good, nicely battered and fried enough to give a little crunch. Next to the steamed and fried rice they offered a red chiles sauce which was a bit tame and a good authentic hot mustard, the kind where just a little really opens your sinuses, kudos.
I passed on the Mexican fare expecting nothing special and ended with a slice of white pizza that had obviously been sitting far too long, the toppings were okay, but the crust was dried out, tough and chewy.
They do offer made-to-order pasta dishes with an assortment of options, but by then I was saving room for dessert; I should have tried the pasta. I searched for a signature dessert, but didn't find it. They offered a large assortment of pies and cakes, bananas foster, a fruit crisp, and lots of mini desserts for sampling. We settled on the minis - a Creme Brulee, a chocolate mousse, German Chocolate cake, carrot cake and chocolate chip cookies. The cookies at least were freshly baked, the rest possibly fresh out of a box, nothing special to be sure.
I don't mind paying good money for good food, but this was some adequate and mostly disappointing.
The non-alcoholic beverages are included in the price, or as my friend put it, "they charge for coffee and tea whether you want them or not."
To top it off, we get a server, their only function is to bring beverages and clear plates, whom we are expected to tip. Self-serve beverages and a few bussers might save some overhead. I have seen full-service restaurants run with far less staff running around.
Although I found the brisket and the mashed potatoes inexcusable and the desserts uninspired, overall it is just an average buffet and over-priced for what was offered. The weekends and Sunday Brunch might be a better deal. All told with tax and tip it ran $20+ a head - far too much to leave somewhat full, but decidedly unsatiated.
With so many good restaurants in town, it is not likely that I'll be returning anytime soon.

Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Heritage Buffet, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

We really value our guests feedback, as we are continuously striving for improvement. I’m sorry if you were not completely satisfied with Heritage Buffet. We will pass your feedback along to our chef and we hope you come back to give us another try. Thanks for sharing your review.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The food here is well prepared and taste great. There are several ethnic foods, such as Chinese, Italian, etc. Huge variety of desserts. My only complaint is that this place is very expensive. I ate here on a Sunday night. The cost was $17.99 plus tax for a total of $19.25. For just one person, too. Come and enjoy great food, but be prepared to empty your wallet.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

$16.95 for dinner.........advertised steaks and shrimp but they were not offered. Wait staff was rude. Good food other than that. Should charge $11-$13 a person.

Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Heritage Buffet, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

I’m sorry you were not satisfied with your experience at Heritage Buffet. We do serve prime rib and shrimp on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and crab legs on Fridays as well. Therefore, our buffet pricing on the weekends is more than during the week. We value all of our guests and their feedback, therefore, we are sending you a private message requesting your contact information so that we can further discuss your dining experience.