“Nice Smaller Museum”

Union Pacific Railroad Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our museum has chronicled more than 150 years of American railroad history through unique artifacts and immersive interactive games. Admission is free.
Chicago
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice Smaller Museum”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I didn't know much about the railroad history so I found this fascinating. There is another very nice display at the Welcome Center. I came to Council Bluffs to stay while visiting Omaha and found so much to do in Council Bluffs. I had no idea of the history of that river community. Going to a museum isn't everyone's cup of tea and usually not mine but I am glad I went there. By the way, my 11 year old grandson was with me and he found this museum interesting!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Imelda74

Elyria, Ohio
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Some historic gems in this museum”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The museum is not as large as I thought it would be, no locomotives or train cars sitting outside, but inside it is a gem. Very good display of items related to Pres Lincoln and the building of the transcontential railroad. Second floor has more railroad information, including a chance to sit in the cab and run some of the rail lines.

The docents are top notch, one I meet was a former park ranger, another had been an engineer and all loved the railroads.

Free but a donation is requested.

Visited October 2013
Ankeny, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A great way to spend a few hours”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Well kept museum that has lots of hands on activities for kids and adults alike. Staffed by volunteers that are very willing to answer questions. We really enjoyed the dining items, old menus and pricing for the dining trains and the President Lincoln items. I would recommend it to families. The grandparent's enjoyed it the most :) $3.00 recommended donation which was well worth it.

Visited September 2013
Clive, Iowa
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A pleasant afternoon”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

The museum is in a beautiful Carnegie Library building. I found the top floor display of rail travel and all the "stuff" extremely interesting.

Visited September 2013
Russell, Kansas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome Museum”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very educational and family friendly. Free will donation to enter. Two stories of history about the Rail Road.

Visited August 2013

Been to Union Pacific Railroad Museum? Share your experiences!