Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Check in was fast and easy and staff was very kind !!
(BED WAS A LITTLE TO FIRM FOR US BUT THAT IS SO SUBJECTIVE..)
Wonderful dining in there many restaurants and superb buffet..
The Casino is the best ..More comps and bigger payout's than I have seen from any Iowa Casino.
ALSO LOTS OF INTERESTING THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA BETWEEN COUNCIL BLUFFS AND
OMAHA.. SHOPPING/ ZOO / PARKS ETC.

Room Tip: higher floors have a better outside view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank howard m
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thanks, Howard, for staying with us and for posting your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation and hope you can visit again.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is my very first review ever of any hotel.... And sad to say it was not good at all!

When we arrived at ameristar in council bluffs Iowa to check in it was a Saturday afternoon about 4pm and there was only 2 front desk people working and my wife and I along with others waited almost 15 minutes to check in, when we finally did get to the front desk we weren't welcomed and the girl really was not friendly.. I told her I was excited because my birthday was in a few days.... She didn't say anything at all she just said your room number is 323 gave us 1 card for my wife and I and that's it..... My wife said could she please have a card also and the lady acted like it was a big deal!

We finally made our way up to our room with NO offer of help at all.... We got to our room #323 and I noticed when we walked in it smelled very stale like a musty smell, when getting settled in I noticed there was a couple black long hairs one on the pillow the other under the comforter, there was also many fiber prints on the tv bezel and both the side bed table and the dresser on which the tv was on.

Going in to use the restroom I noticed another strand of black hair stuck to the bathroom door up high.. And what appeared to be a few stubble hairs by the sink from someone who had shaved, we were going to go downstairs and say something however the way we were treated when we were checked in was unpleasant so I did not . We left for a while and came back to meet our friends in the lobby area of the hotel for dinner.. We wanted something fast and not to heavy so we went to the little perkins/Dennis type diner for food.... When we walked up we were asked how our night was going.... However there was a waitress I never found out her name Caucasian maybe 23 years old or so with black hair and a blonde streak that seemed very irritated to have us eating there... Unsure if she was upset at a worker or ready to go home, we ordered some sodas and the pibb extra we ordered tasted funny our friend let his soon to be wife taste it she even said it was off tasting.... Our friends had the chicken Noodle soup and both said it was very very salty.. 1 friend ordered the sunrise burger and said it was pretty good a little over cooked our other friend got the chicken fingers and she said they were just ok, my wife and I shared the fish and fries and for I believe was 12.99 we got 3 small pieces of fried fish and about 20 French fries....... The fish was over cooked and so were the French fries... Needless to say it was not a big hit......

We went out for a while and came back with our good friends from out of town, we went up to the room to relax for a bit and talk before we headed downstairs to the casino, immediately upon walking into the room our friend said yuck your room smells like my grandma's house old and musty, it was embarrassing! I tried turning on the lamp next to the bed and the light bulb blew also, we sat and talked in our room for a while and then proceeded downstairs to the casino area which is even for a once in a while smoker very very very smokey... We stayed for a while and then our friends left and we we went back upstairs about 1am......on our floor it was very loud with people laughing and a little what sounded like a drunk man yelling.... Finally got to sleep and then went downstairs to check out.... We were going to tell the front desk about the TERRIBLE first stay HOWEVER AGAIN only 2 front desk people working.. So we just dropped our keys and asked the valet for our vehicle...... We waited a good 15 minutes for it........ I left ameristar very disappointed and feel there was many things that could have been better........ Hopefully a manager will contact me... If not this will definitely be a NEVER stay again and only have unkind things to say about this property........

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Honestreviewofstay
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

I'm so sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your recent experience. We work hard to provide a quality stay and service to our guests, and I'm sorry if we fell short this time. We would definitely like to follow up with you, as we are continuously working to improve. Please feel free to send your contact information to atyourserviceCB@ameristar.com and we would be happy to contact you. Thanks for taking the time to post your review and we hope you give us another try.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel, it was wonderful, all of the staff were more than accomodating, I was impressed with lack of cigarette smell, the room was spacious, VERY clean, the buffet was really good, pool was great, the lobby is probably the nicest lobby I have ever seen, it was like a small city, very much different than others I have seen. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Can't say about other rooms, we had a king bed room, it was large, comfortable and CLEAN. One th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeanaC985

Thanks so much for staying with us and for sharing your review, Deana! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Overnight Stay in King Jacuzzi room for 34th Anniversary.
Check in with Jo-Ann (?) was very pleasant.
Room was very clean, well appointed, comfortable bed.
Room service delivered the wine and snack tray right on time.
We decided on our evening meal at Bourbon and BBQ, glad we did as the line to the buffet was almost out the door! I had the halibut special and would not recommend it. The crab bisque soup was very salty. Our service was OK but did observe two other servers making talking at length with a couple of tables near by.
Casino was fine, had a late snack at the bakery which the server was very good and the coffee and carrot cake was fine.
Staff we encountered in walking thru your facility were always greeting us which showed very good training and they should be recognized for making one feel welcome and appreciated.
Overall a good stay but would not recommend Bourbon and BBQ based on our experience.

Room Tip: River view if available is nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thanks, Don, for sharing your review and for visiting us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, however I'm sorry you were not satisfied with your experience at Bourbon's. We value our guests’ feedback and we would like to follow up with you; please feel free to send your contact information and details about your visit to AtYourServiceCB@ameristar.com.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Always a fun location. When staying in the hotel it is top notch. Rooms are clean, big and well furnished. The food is always great whether in the Buffet or other venues. The gaming offers a great variety and there are always a wide selection of new slot machines.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Have never had a bad one.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My Mom and I spent 2 nights at the Ameristar Casino and Hotel. The hotel was excellant and the staff were all very helpful. We both remarked that the staff was the nicest we have come across in our travels for quite a while. The casino staff was also very helpful. I won, but my Mom lost, but we will be staying there again soon!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Julie, I'm glad you and your mom enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

The ameristar is a fantastic place to stay. The.rooms are clean and beautiful. Thr staff is very nice and helpful. The food at the resturants was really good. We have been coming here for about 10 years and are never disappointed with this hotel. In fact we have come to the same resturant here for breakfast, for as long as we have been coming to ameristar. We love it amd advise it to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for posting your review. We appreciate your loyalty through all these years and are glad you enjoy coming back to visit.