“Best Western Cantebury Inn and Suites in Coralville, Iowa”

Best Western Cantebury Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed March 19, 2014

LOVE, LOVE this hotel!! We've had a long term stay, and it's great. Location is great. Close to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Close to Coral Ridge Mall, which has lots of great stores, a movie theatre, a Children's museum and a beautiful skating ring inside the mall. Nice food court and some other great restaurants nearby. Iowa City's world renowned Pedestrian Mall is wonderful and a few minutes away. Iowa City library, which is large and beautiful is on the Pedestrian Mall Hotel itself is lovely and has rooms with different themes to offer.. Rooms are kept very clean. Great, big and clean pool, with an area of tables and chairs. Very relaxing to sit there. Breakfast every morning has lots to offer. Downstairs is House of Lords restaurant, which is also very good. Staff is wonderful, Very helpful and accommodating. Rates are excellent and very competitive. This will always be my go-to place in Coralville, Iowa City and the surrounding areas. A gem and a great find!!! One more thing, over the past thirty or more years, I have travelled quite a bit and this hotel really stands out! Check it out. You will love it too!! G and M

Room Tip: Lots to different themed rooms. Some with whirlpools. Great for business travel, singles, couples an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RainbowRose2022

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Although a bit dreary looking in the decor and hallways, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. Decent hot breakfast, a bit more than your average hotel breakfast. Overall its a good place to stay, with a nice heated pool and quite rooms. Will stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My fiance and I stayed at this Best Western as a quick get away for his birthday. It caught my eye because of the theme and the fact that there were smoking rooms available. Many people would complain about the fact that they allow it, but there are people out there that still smoke. I was amazed at the room when we arrived. I wish the TV was closer to the bed because we usually sleep with the TV on, but it was a quick move and we were set. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a getaway that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. We will go back again and again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Overall very good experience. Hotel was clean. Older but clean. Staff went above and beyond to make sure our needs were met. We ate dinner in the restaurant/lounge. They have a good selection and feed was good. Quaint atmosphere. Everyone should experience the lounge. Our favorite part.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My company has it's employees stay here whenever we are in town. I've stayed at the Best Western Cantebury Inn many times, sometimes for a month. Great location, clean rooms, nice pool, friendly staff, and it was going through a renovation the last time I was here in early January, 2014. The renovation did not affect me nor did I hear the work being done at any point.

If you're traveling for business, the hotel does offer a nice discount if you're on file with them. It is about two blocks from the Iowa River Landing area and the Iowa River Power Restaurant (awesome Sunday brunch), not to mention the University of Iowa is around the corner. Everyone I've mentioned this place to seems to know where I'm talking about but has never stayed there. I highly recommend it! Side note: the restaurant downstairs (not owned by the hotel) is good for drinks but the food is ...meh.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outer perimeter rather than poolside tend to be quieter and larger.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2014

After a very long ten hours on the road we arrived at the hotel around 9 o' clock in the evening. This Best Western has the decor of a "castle". The Lobby has three "thrones" in if if you care to sit down. A good idea because the desk boy had to help the poor fellow try for the third time to get into his room. The bar restaurant which charges $15.95 for fish and chips using cod was in the basement. Who wants to eat in a basement- not even a medieval knight - of that I am sure.
Be warned there are no elevators- but there is a bathroom labelled "damsels in distress" for you to use. This is an old motel- not as old as a knight in shining armor would have used, but old.
The room was worn and dingy and I had a tough time finding the light for the table- as is turned out it was by the bed. Who would have thought? No lid for the ice-bucket- a fridge that mad me realize the food and drinks would have been better off left in the cold car. curtains that barely closed and a heating system that made a loud on and off noise all night - so I did not sleep. There was no duvet- I had to lay my down coat on top of me. There were three shabby quarter sized pillows- What is with all the hotels using these wee pillows? To be honest the pillows looked as if someone had already slept on them- I brought my own.The coffee maker looked so old I didn't not bother to use it. But ovecourse there was an enormous iron - I guess I could have been ironing all night as the 1970's heater fan kept me awake.
The sink was right at the front of the room as you opened the door. The tiny bathroom was right beside the bed. Of all the hotels I have stayed at - this was the Worst bathroom of all. You had to fight to shut the door and try and fit into it. Like Twain said - there was not enough room to swing a cat- in this case .. a mouse. When I turned the bath on, I was drenched by the shower, there was no hot water and the "white" towels were dingy and gray and were not enough for 2 people- I had to ask for toiletries. The tub was ridiculously tiny and the floors were old and the caulking was melting. Even the toilet paper was of the worst quality.
In the morning they had the breakfast area shut before the posted 10 a.m. closing time. There was no coffee station or the increasingly popular and common acidulated water in the lobby. And yes not a sight of cookies anywhere or even the Sunday paper.
Staying here made me really question what is going on with Best Western. Their hotels can at times have quality but the last three visits have been uncomfortable sleepless disasters- time to try out the Quality Inn.
I am a travel blogger and I intend to keep telling you like it is on the road- read more at buckysview.com.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the first floor- away from the knightly labeled public toilets. Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Great place to stay..Rooms were very clean and comfy. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was okay. Typical hotel breakfast. Would recommend to any types of travelers. Convenient Off interstate and fast food close.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business