“Beware special event cancellation policy and misinformed hotel staff”

Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Beware the "Special Event " Cancellation policy of this hotel. Booked for a football game weekend this fall was quoted over the phone the standard cancellation policy by person booking our rooms...two days later credit card billed, called to ask why found out accurate cancellation policy......now only option is to dispute with credit card company..... no more Marriott for the family of a frequent business traveler.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank angel92ks
There are newer reviews for Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed January 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott over New Year's weekend. We were in town for a wedding at the nearby Brown Deer Golf Club. The hotel was very nice, modern and overall very clean. The rooms were well appointed and furnishings very comfortable. They even had free champaign available to the guests while we waited to check in. I doubt they do this all the time, but it was New Year's Eve.

We had a couple of minor concerns however. First when I tried to park our car for the evening in the parking ramp, the card reader wouldn't accept the card the gave us at the front desk. It didn't work for the guy behind me either. Had to find an employee manually open the gate. Parking also seemed a little unreasonable for Iowa. $8.00 for one night. There are no other real parking spots available anywhere near the hotel if you don't want to pay the $8.00. I just thought that it was a little high, considering this is Iowa, but I guess when you have the market cornered, you can price what you want.

When my wife I and took separate showers in the morning, we had little to no hot water. We didn't call the front desk to bring it to anyones attention, because we just wanted to get going. We spoke to several other family members who stayed at the hotel and they said their water was fine, so maybe it was just a problem in our room #440.

Overall the stay was good. Nice comfortable bed and nice big HD TV certainly helped.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed here with some friends over Labor Day weekend. We changed our minds at the last minute to have the room changeda and were accomodated with no trouble at all. Others have written about the parking, we had a pass and didn't have to pay anything other than $2/day...not sure why everyone else had a problem. My wife is from the area so I know some of the politics...that land used to be old industrial area and is revitalized now with the hotel and parking ramp. The city owns the ramp and the hotel got built by separate developers. I'm sure the hotel gets a tax break but the city will nail you for parking. It's just one of the things an outsider wouldn't know...take it in stride, the land around that area had strip clubs and bars before...it's much nicer now!
We had a fantastic room, nice view overlooking the fountain and pond. We enjoyed a nice breakfast brunch in the attached restaurant. We all used the exercise equipment and pool which were all in brand new condition. The rooms were clean and the stay was really what I would consider perfect. I'm so glad the area has a nice hotel now.
For a little cheaper option the Comfort Inn on the other side of Coralville is nice too (haven't written a review because when we stayed there it wasn't even completely open yet)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott over Thanksgiving Weekend. The biggest problem I had with the hotel is the parking. The fact that you have to park outside and walk a pretty good distance to the hotel should be bad enough, but then on top of it they charge you $8.00 a day for the inconvience. The lobby was nice, there a a fire place by the elevators which was a warm touch. The front desk staff was average. The bartender was very helpful and nice and was able to serve Starbucks products. The room was very small, we had spent our first two nights at the Riverside Casino hotel, and I wished we had not moved, but I wanted to try the Marriott. The bed was comfy. The room decor was nice. The smoke alarm has a very bright green light that blinks all night. The water pressure in the shower was not great but it was okay. The pool area was okay, the pool was a good temp, but the hot tub water level was very low and be careful because the floor in the pool area is very slippery both my husband and I almost fell on the floor when getting out of the pool. I don't plan on returning.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank travelersfromIndy
Reviewed November 30, 2007

So gross. We switched rooms 3 times and were completely disgusted with what we saw. There was hair in all of the beds we saw (4 out of 4). I shouldn't have done it, but I wiped the bathroom floor with a wet towl. The towl was black with hairs all over. And I don't think the tub has ever seen cleaner - or the floor a vacuum. The hotel may be fine for the average person, but if you care about cleanliness AT ALL, you will be completely grossed out.

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank StotheC
Reviewed November 22, 2007

This hotel is nearly brand new. Marriott does an excellent job keeping their hotels uniform.

The hotel lobby had an enclosed library, and fancy woodwork throughout. The front desk staff seemed friendly and professional, even though they had to put up with many drunk football fans.

No complaints about the room. It was quiet, clean and bright.

The hotel is in an old industrial area that the city is trying to rebuild. There is nothing within walking distance, but just a few minutes by driving it.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Favre440
Reviewed June 24, 2007

This is a new property, well staffed and maintained, and with accomodations and service one would find in higher priced properties in much larger cities. I would stay here again any time I was in Iowa City/ Coralville.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Holiday Inn Express Coralville

Been to Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!