“Best place to stay in the area”

Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We go back to Iowa City/Coralville a few times a year and this is our favorite place to stay for a variety of reasons. It has always been clean and quiet. Room service staff impeccable. Pool area clean and the water is warm.

We usually pay extra to stay in a suite and those happen to be on the concierge level where you need to swipe a key card to get up there. On the weekends, the concierge lounge is closed, which is a bummer. But we noticed on our last weekend stay, you didn't need to sweep the card to get to the upper levels. I asked the front desk, and they said that security is turned off on weekends since the lounge is closed. So the lounge is the only thing they are limiting access to. Well, another benefit of the concierge level is security. Mainly it decreases the chances that groups of kids/teenagers/drunk wedding guests end up on a floor that isn't theirs and are noisy. I don't want the feature to go away just because the snacks aren't sitting out and need protection.

My other complaint is the our breakfast in the restaurant. The eggs benedict sauce was flat. Our server young and not very well trained. An error on our billing for breakfast because there was some discrepancy between what the computer said and the menu. Then don't just bill me higher without discussing. Having said that, after reviewing them on the Marriott site, the manager did e-mail me and ask for feedback. I find this level of service and communication amazing.

Overall, minor complaints in a well maintained and comfortable setting. Will be staying there again. The only thing that would make it better is if it were on the ped mall downtown. But then again, it would also make it noisy and it is so easy to get around town (10 minutes to anywhere) location is not a problem.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Management2006, General Manager at Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Coralville Marriott and providing us with feedback on your experience. We appreciate the nice comments concerning the cleanliness of your room and have shared that with our housekeeping team. I have also shared your comments about the service and quality of food you received in the Restaurant with our Executive Chef for immediate followup and additional training of staff. We hope you will visit us again when travelling to the Iowa City/Coralville area.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel provided a very enjoyable stay after a long driving on Interstate-80. The room was very clean, the hottub is very relaxing. Breakfast is extra and expensive, also $8 parking is charged. Location is super if you need to stop from I-80 and hit the road again next morning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at the Coralville Marriott. We appreciate your kind comments and have shared it with our team members. Please visit us again when your travels take you to the Iowa City/Coralville area.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel has been great to me, my staff, and clients every year! Our little company handles transportation for a hugh client and the Marriott Coralville staff always treat us with 5-Star service. From helping us with parking areas for our vehicles, to giving us a heads up when one of our VIP's are coming to the car from meetings. While waiting, the hotel staff has even asked our drivers if they'ed like a cup of coffee when standing in the lobby. I work on standby for a VIP during their stay and they always try to put my room on the same floor. I could go on, but you get what I'm saying. From business travelers, celebs, or even a chauffeur like me, this hotel IS a great choice!

Room Tip: I am use to being on the 8th floor facing the front (west) of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a new and well fitted hotel that has views of the river and some comfortable public rooms including a library. However the check in desk staff are unwelcoming (I have stayed five times and had the experience every time) and they just want to get your number checked off and you moved out of their face. Rooms are comfortable and up to Marriott standard; restaurant and breakfast bar are standard "all American" and "healthy". Wine bar lacks atmosphere and has poor and uncomfortable seating around the walls, but is passable.

It is not acceptable for a hotel in this place to charge $8 a night for parking in a semi covered lot about 200 yards away when you have to walk through howling sub zero temperatures in three of the twelve months. Give us a break.

Room Tip: Depends what you want. A river view is good in spring; views on the other side up to Coralville rea...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 1 night on a driving trip. We are used to higher end corporate hotels and this hotel fit that description. The staff was friendly, efficient and professional. The room was comfortable, quiet and well appointed--we were on one of the top 2 floors. Access to I-80 was quick and easy. We were surprised to find a new development right outside the hotel that included several nice restaurants--sushi, brew pub and upscale American bistro--that we could walk to. There is an $8 overnight parking fee (in & out anytime) for self parking in a nearby covered garage which is city owned. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed at this Marriott for one night in December and it couldn't have been nicer. The building, the room, the service, and the conference area were superb. Even though I didn't have a chance to use it, I would have liked to spend some time in the library room near the lobby for quiet reading. Would definitely return here if ever in the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Make no mistake, the quality of this Marriott compares easy to a Westin, I've stayed there 3 times. Great service at the front desk (the college kids are well trained) , luggage assistance and room service. Although I've paid more than what this Marriott charges per night in various parts of the world (like Maui) , I can't justify the cost in the middle of Iowa. At a minimum, these are Chicago prices. Doesn't make sense. Give me walking access to Navy Pier, Solder Field, Wrigley, Untied Center, Sox Park or the Theater District and I'll not complain about the room rate per night. OK - you're close to Target, Wal-Mart and Applebees - give me a break. I'm headed to the Holliday Inn Express next time. Nearly $400 per night is unreasonable - sorry.

Sorry Marriott - you can't Charge Maui prices in Iowa.

You get a 4 for quality but a 2 for price; Thats why I rank you a 3.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Scott805
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area

Been to Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!