“Really Nice Stay!”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Iowa City, Iowa
“Really Nice Stay!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Really nice staff, great beds, and very pretty decor! Awesome concierge floor, one of the prettiest concierge rooms for having breakfast, sunlit and a great breakfast! The location of this hotel is very nice for shopping at the Coralville mall and seeing a movie. Close to decent dining also. I would give this place a five in a heartbeat if it was cleaner, its not filthy or anything close, its just sloppy...The elevator doors and panels need to be wiped down daily and the housekeepers need to take a swifter and dust under the place where the desk and the TV stand come together...Its the first thing you see when you sit in the chair in the room, tons of dust, and its not appealing or healthy for breathing in allergens.

Room Tip: Concierge floor is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 11, 2012

If you are traveling to the University of Iowa and need a place to stay, this is a good choice. It is easy to find from the expressway, has predictably good "Marriott standard" rooms for the business traveler, and there is a self-parking garage just at the edge of the property that is easier to deal with than many hotel parking facilities. The setting is a bit odd, since the surrounding area looks like an industrial park that has been leveled and then had some tony touches added, but if you are just looking for a decent place to have a business meeting or stay while visiting the university, this will certainly work.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I redeemed a free night rewards certificate for Easter weekend for my family. We were on the 4th floor about 4 rooms away from the elevator.

TIP: Do not accept a room close to the elevators. While they are not loud, if you are on the same side as the elevator shaft, you can here it every 30 seconds when you are trying to sleep--a faint noise but all the more annoying when trying to sleep.

Also, the walls and doors are like paper when it comes to noise cancellation. I seriously recommend the owners install an additional sliding door between the restroom and the beds--this should help.

Did not sleep at all.

Staff was quite nice upon checkout, but when I told them how noisy it was due to the elevator and other hotel guests, they gave an insincere apology that you give when you are afraid of additional confrontation.

There should have been compensation--of any size. A simple free parking credit would have been acceptable. Now I will not patronize this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room near an elevator--6 rooms away minimum or you will hear what sounds like a dist...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here on a short business trip recently. The hotel is almost new, located close to the highway in a new business development. There are at least two restaurants in close walking distance, besides the hotel's offerings. Others have commented on the classy premises so I won't except to say it is very nice.

The room was also very good with new, high-grade furnishings, pleasant decor, excellent art (none of the standard Marriott pieces used here) and granite tops on the dresser and side chest. There is a modern technology hook-up to allow computer in-put to the nice sized flat screen TV and the internet service (free) was fast enough to allow me to watch Netflix. The air handling system works well and the staff is very friendly.

I had a serious problem with noise, being able to hear my next door neighbor talk on the phone to his wife and kids, talk back to the TV, practice his sales presentation out loud, etc. This is really unacceptable at a hotel of this standard.

The room was cheap, so I turned the fan up to high to drown out some of the noise, turned the TV to a blank channel & cranked up the static to create more white noise, covered the screen with two towels, and waited for him to go to sleep. Eventually he did.

Not so sure I'll come back. Maybe with a corner room I'd have a better shot at a quiet night.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room that is adjoined to another under any circumstances other than family or a s...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Illinois
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night & I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. The location & hotel itself is very nice, but the service needs a little work. The lady who checked us in was very nice, but got nervous when I told her my parking pass would not work in the garage. She acted as if she didn't know what to do & even didn't remember giving me one, which only happened about five minutes ago. She finally told another lady & she fixed the problem with an apology...great customer service on her part!

As we headed to our room on the 7th floor, we noticed dirty linens & trash outside several rooms...this was 7:30 at night. I'm sure this is not Marriotts policy to leave the hallways in such a manner.

Last but not least, we ate at the Evergreen Grille & the food was good, but our waiter was the slowest. The restaurant was not busy at all & it took him forever to get our drinks & food. Not sure if he was new or what, but didn't set well with us.

I rarely give a bad review on here, but the service at this hotel is not what I expected from a Marriott, which I'm an Elite member. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, based on my experience, but it seems popular in the Iowa City area.

• Stayed March 2012
council bluffs, IA
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Have stayed at this Marriot many times and it is usually a great experience. This trip had requested a room with 2 beds as I was sharing a room with a male friend. Got to the hotel and were told by front desk staff that we were in a room with a king bed and there were no other options. And that while we had reserved a room with two beds that was more of a request not a guarantee. So they brought up a very uncomfortable cot for one of us to sleep on. It was a busy weekend in Iowa City and the hotel was fully booked, I just felt like the confirmation number with our reservation that clearly had 2 beds on it would have actually reserved us the room as requested. They were very accomodating when we decided to check out a day early a few hours after check out time and head home. The hotel is beautiful and immaculately clean. I would stay here again as long as I don 't have to sleep on the sad little cot again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stay at Marriott regularly for business travel so I earned a free night which I used at this property while visiting my niece at University of Iowa. I would have to say if I were considering staying at this hotel for personal travel the price quoted would factor strongly in my decision. I noticed rooms going for $169/night during my stay. Add that to the ridiculous $8 parking charge (in 12 years of business travel have never seen a parking charge for a hotel that's not in a downtown area) and with tax this would be close to $200/night. I'd look around if it were me. Rooms and lobby I'm sure are nicer than some of the nearby hotels but location is very close to other options and there was really no extra service considering this was a full service hotel. I barely saw a staff member anywhere including behind the front desk each time I walked through the lobby. I would say that I would stay there for business except as a female I would have some reservations about parking in that garage at night by myself. In summary as I said in title - if the price is close to nearby hotels then for sure pick this one but I can't say it would be worth 50-100 more per night.

Room Tip: Even thought it's close to the river the front desk person said that side of the hotel doesn'...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elisabeth3720
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Hampton Inn Iowa City / Coralville
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City

Been to Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!