“Nice but noisy”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Minneapolis, MN
“Nice but noisy”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here on a short business trip recently. The hotel is almost new, located close to the highway in a new business development. There are at least two restaurants in close walking distance, besides the hotel's offerings. Others have commented on the classy premises so I won't except to say it is very nice.

The room was also very good with new, high-grade furnishings, pleasant decor, excellent art (none of the standard Marriott pieces used here) and granite tops on the dresser and side chest. There is a modern technology hook-up to allow computer in-put to the nice sized flat screen TV and the internet service (free) was fast enough to allow me to watch Netflix. The air handling system works well and the staff is very friendly.

I had a serious problem with noise, being able to hear my next door neighbor talk on the phone to his wife and kids, talk back to the TV, practice his sales presentation out loud, etc. This is really unacceptable at a hotel of this standard.

The room was cheap, so I turned the fan up to high to drown out some of the noise, turned the TV to a blank channel & cranked up the static to create more white noise, covered the screen with two towels, and waited for him to go to sleep. Eventually he did.

Not so sure I'll come back. Maybe with a corner room I'd have a better shot at a quiet night.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room that is adjoined to another under any circumstances other than family or a s...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Illinois
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night & I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. The location & hotel itself is very nice, but the service needs a little work. The lady who checked us in was very nice, but got nervous when I told her my parking pass would not work in the garage. She acted as if she didn't know what to do & even didn't remember giving me one, which only happened about five minutes ago. She finally told another lady & she fixed the problem with an apology...great customer service on her part!

As we headed to our room on the 7th floor, we noticed dirty linens & trash outside several rooms...this was 7:30 at night. I'm sure this is not Marriotts policy to leave the hallways in such a manner.

Last but not least, we ate at the Evergreen Grille & the food was good, but our waiter was the slowest. The restaurant was not busy at all & it took him forever to get our drinks & food. Not sure if he was new or what, but didn't set well with us.

I rarely give a bad review on here, but the service at this hotel is not what I expected from a Marriott, which I'm an Elite member. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, based on my experience, but it seems popular in the Iowa City area.

• Stayed March 2012
council bluffs, IA
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Have stayed at this Marriot many times and it is usually a great experience. This trip had requested a room with 2 beds as I was sharing a room with a male friend. Got to the hotel and were told by front desk staff that we were in a room with a king bed and there were no other options. And that while we had reserved a room with two beds that was more of a request not a guarantee. So they brought up a very uncomfortable cot for one of us to sleep on. It was a busy weekend in Iowa City and the hotel was fully booked, I just felt like the confirmation number with our reservation that clearly had 2 beds on it would have actually reserved us the room as requested. They were very accomodating when we decided to check out a day early a few hours after check out time and head home. The hotel is beautiful and immaculately clean. I would stay here again as long as I don 't have to sleep on the sad little cot again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stay at Marriott regularly for business travel so I earned a free night which I used at this property while visiting my niece at University of Iowa. I would have to say if I were considering staying at this hotel for personal travel the price quoted would factor strongly in my decision. I noticed rooms going for $169/night during my stay. Add that to the ridiculous $8 parking charge (in 12 years of business travel have never seen a parking charge for a hotel that's not in a downtown area) and with tax this would be close to $200/night. I'd look around if it were me. Rooms and lobby I'm sure are nicer than some of the nearby hotels but location is very close to other options and there was really no extra service considering this was a full service hotel. I barely saw a staff member anywhere including behind the front desk each time I walked through the lobby. I would say that I would stay there for business except as a female I would have some reservations about parking in that garage at night by myself. In summary as I said in title - if the price is close to nearby hotels then for sure pick this one but I can't say it would be worth 50-100 more per night.

Room Tip: Even thought it's close to the river the front desk person said that side of the hotel doesn'...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elisabeth3720
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is the best place I have stayed in the Iowa City area! I am so glad I booked a room here at last minute. The place is "gorgeous"! The entrance is so welcoming and colorful. The room was top notch like other Marriots I have stay in. It matches the Chicago and Colorado Springs downtown hotels. Alex at the front desk was more than helpful. Thank you for great service Alex! We booked on line and got a great price right from Marriott. No hiddens fees!
I had a great workout in the gym. Machines, free weights, mats and treadmill.
I recommend this "HOTEL" to everyone!
I should have stayed here before and not those other places...
My new 5 star in Coralville, Iowa See you again in April
Next weekend going to Dubuque,Iowa

Room Tip: facing the river on the 5th floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank patti1230
Management2006, General Manager at Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and your kind comments concerning our hotel and the service you received. Alex continues to provide our guests with Marriott's Spirit to Serve and I have shared your comments with him. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had an extended family stay here in December. We found the rooms quite nice, and the restaurants were fine. But the staff was truly outstanding. They were attentive, responded to questions and requests with great patience. We also appreciated the Iowa Writers Room-- an extension of the Coralville Public Library, complete with a gas fireplace. The location is very convenient, and the views of the river lovely. I recommend the hotel for the facilities but most of all for the great staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank VivaMexicoLiz
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel especially the service you received. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will visit us again when your travels take you to the Coralville/Iowa City area.
Iowa
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I attended a convention held here Jan 2012. This is the third time in 6 years same location. Always a great experience. Very clean, rooms are nice sized, quiet . Elevators are always available with in seconds and are quiet. Food is priced fair considering convenience. The bar area gets crowded and noisy but it is easy to just pick up a drink and sit elsewhere if privacy is what you are after. Lot's of areas to sit and talk , not just in a little lobby area. We receive a 15 % discount because we occupy 150 rooms. But at full price of 125.00 this is way better that some of the surrounding discount hotels. Parking is 8.00 but hotel will take care of this fee if you just ask. Nice location just off of I 80 but set back so no road noises. Good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Iowatravelman
Many thanks for staying with us and providing us with feedback from your experience. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will continue to stay with us when your travels take you to the Coralville/Iowa City area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 7 in Iowa City
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area

Been to Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!