“There are other Chinese restaurants out there” 2 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Szechwan Village Chinese & Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Chicago, Illinois
“There are other Chinese restaurants out there”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Ordered some carryout from this restaurant at the recommendation of the hotel staff. Was glad I wasn't eating in because it had a very uninviting atmosphere, and only one couple was dining in. The food wasn't very tasty, it was pretty bland, I had empress chicken and it wasn't very spicy. My coworker had orange chicken and disliked it so much he didn't even eat half of it. There are quite a few other Chinese restaurants in the area so I would recommend trying one of those instead.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 23wearytraveler23

Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“I love ALL Asian food, but this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

this is the only Asian restaurant I've ever been to that I didn't even want to eat the food. I just love Asian food and am curious how they can make it so bad. Szechwan is my favorite chinese so I gave it three attempts...never again!

1 Thank alisaMeg
Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great authentic Szechwan food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

This is definitely the best Chinese in Iowa City area. I've not terribly impressed with the Thai and Japanese food - it's okay, but there are better (try Thai Flavors for great Thai food in IC). But the Szechwan Chinese can't be beat. If you really like spicy food, you will LOVE the Hot Oil Beef off of the Chef Specialties menu - and it is seriously spicy! On the opposite end of the spicy spectrum, I enjoy the Chicken and Broccoli - lots of quality fresh broccoli, white meat chicken in a mild but tasty white sauce. I also love their Shrimp Fried Rice. I've noticed some reviews report problems with delivery, but our experience has been all good. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars, is that the Thai and Japanese food isn't top notch. Stick with the Szechwan selections off the Chef's Specialties, and you'll be very happy.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sick-of-cheap-hotels
iowa city
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lot of turmeric powder in their food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

I love Chinese, Thai, Korean food. since this restaurant has all these cuisines, i go there a lot. the food is spicy and tasty!
the only problem is, LOT of turmeric powder is used in their food.
so if you are okay with it, you wil love the chineese food and thai food here.:)
beware, the ppl work there, demand tips and i have learned from friends that they charge excess tips.make sure you save your receipts.

1 Thank 1283pre
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Authentic and fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2008

I have traveled the world pretty extensively including Japan, Thailand, Korea and many other eastern and Pacific countries. Whenever in another country I try and eat as the locals do. One telling factor of any restaurant with an area theme is how many of the customers are from the area the restaurant represents. My wife and I have eaten at the Szechwan Village several times and every time the restaurant is at least filled with 50% first generation Asian and Pacific clientele. The food is much more authentic than any other Chinese restaurant I have eaten at in the area. The vegetables are always fresh and the food is always fantastic. Portions are large and the family that runs the restaurant if very friendly. If you get a chance definitely try this restaurant.