“Very disappointing - overpriced for what you receive”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Minneapolis, MN
“Very disappointing - overpriced for what you receive”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Spent two nights here on a business trip - our corporate select hotel in the area. I will stay elsewhere on my next visit. Rate of $134/night is way overpriced for this property. It is a basic suite set-up, but is furnished with lower quality technology (Hisense and Dynex flat screen TVs). Wireless Internet was extremely slow and my iPad stuggled to stay connected. While the location was convenient to my office, it is located north of I-80 and thus is a bit out of the main commercial area for restaurants. There are other newer properties just south of I-80 that would be better options at this price.

Room Tip: At a different property!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Carroll, Iowa
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have previously stayed at this property and was anxious to stay here again. However, it seems like it is going downhill. First of all, we weren't greeted as members of their club, whereas the first time they even had our last name on a sign greeting us when we checked in. We were given an upgrade to a suite, but it was right at the top of the steps, so anyone talking too loud in the lobby would have been heard. There were spiderwebs in our bedroom area and I had to kill a bug in the bathroom right when we checked in. The rooms were nice and big and I thought the bed was comfortable, although my daughter had slept on the pull-out couch and said it definitely wasn't. My bed had sheets on them that literally looked like there were urine stains on them. I would have asked for new ones, but we were very tired after having car trouble and didn't even check in until late that night. We aren't big breakfast eaters, so I can't rate that. The only other complaint is that it really smells like smashed lady bugs as you are walking in the motel! My daughter and I both commented on that!

Room Tip: Make sure there are clean sheets and ask for a room away from noise! Ask if the fridge has a freezer...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Kapmom,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay with us. Your comments and concerns are important to us and we apologize for any inconvenience. With our guests’ feedback, it allows us to take action and make any necessary changes and or improvements to the hotel to make it better for you and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time.
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I visited my granddaughter at the halfway mark between Normal, Ill. and Boone, IA. I made a reservation at the Country Inn & Suites so my daughter could visit with her boyfriend and I could take my granddaughter shopping at the Coral Ridge Mall. We went to dinner at The Olive Garden and brought back her leftover pizza to warm up in the microwave later. There was a refrigerator in the room. The microwave literally blew up with smoke billowing everywhere. I took my granddaughter's hand and called to a staff member in the hallway to get the manager. The night manager arrived, asked me what I "did wrong" and after opening all the windows as I strongly requested, proceeded to open the microwave door wide open!! Smoke now completely engulfed.the room .and we had to leave for a while. They did not offer us another room, and said they were all booked up when I asked .. When we returned, the room was aired out enough to stay. The next morning's continental breakfast, was less than desirable also. The "fresh " fruit was warm, soggy and certainly not fresh. The orange juice from the dispenser was also warm. Upon checkout the actual hotel manager denied that there was anything wrong with the microwave. By the way, when all that smoke billowed in the room the night before, the sprinklers did not go off either! I do not recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Ileen E,
Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so sorry for the problems that you incurred from the microwave and apologize for any inconvenience this may caused you. We appreciate your feedback regarding this matter and the breakfast. We are always trying to find better ways to make this service better. Thank you so much for your time.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I one night on our way back from Mt. Rushmore to Michigan. The hotel staff was very nice, but when the reservation was made, I was told it was $20.00 for the dong and it was $30.00. The room was large and clean. The breakfast was nice and they had real plates and glasses. The kids enjoyed it. There is also a Culver's Custard and Butter Burgers beside the hotel. I would recommend the hotel to anyone dirving in and out of the area.

Room Tip: Large rooms and nice front desk staff. They do charge for pets.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear Steinbrenner,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. Thank you for all of your comments and concerns. We would like to apologize for the confusion about the pet charge. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused you. We appreciate all guest feedback. We use the feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Generally speaking, Country Inn and Suites is one of my favorite motel chains. However, our recent stay in Coralville was certainly not up to the standard I've come to expect from Country Inn and Suites. The rooms were small and rundown and not as clean as I would hope. The vent over the shower had dirt/dust hanging from it. The towels were very thin and the paper products very scratchy. The motel did not appear to be old, yet ceiling tiles were sagging in the bathroom. The bathroom fixures were cheap and not holding up well. While the lobby was inviting, the man at the desk when we checked in had a very sloppy appearance. His uniform shirt was oversized, untucked, and several buttons were unbuttoned. The first room he sent us to had not been cleaned since the last guest. I called and he quickly placed us in another room, but his appearance combined with walking into a dirty room started us out on the wrong foot.
The breakfast was very good as is the norm at Country Inn and Suites: sausage, eggs, potatoes, waffles, etc. Great coffee! However, the breakfast attendant was wearing jogging pants and a t-shirt with another business' logo on it, and her less than professional appearance contributed to a luke warm view of our stay. Would not recommend this motel.

Dear Nomad062,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Thank you for telling us about your concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. We appreciate all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary improvements to the hotel to make it better for you, and for future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2012

been a loyal customer, first time to stay in country inn & suites hotels as well as the one in Coralville, Iowa. What a pleasant surprise! Not only a very reasonable price (40% cheaper than Holliday Express), but a larger room and better breakfast!

A suggestion the lady who was in the check out desk (she appeared be a manager, we chatted on the morning of July 3): A bathroom renovation might be needed as some spots showed 'old' marks. But bathroom was clean, just not match to the standards of the suites rooms. Also, change the web site about the soup offer in the later afternoon. Also Kitchen needs some updates

Dear Familyroadtrip50226,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your first visit to the Country Inn. We hope you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments and concerns. We appreciate all guest feedback. Thank you you so much for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Minnesota
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I would find it hard to beat this room for the price paid. The location was near the University of Iowa, about 3 miles away. It was easy to locate, right off the freeway. The room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. Shopping and restaurants were nearby if desired. My second floor, west-facing room gave me an excellent view of the sunset and incoming storm. I did not partake of the complimentary breakfast due to early commitments. The a/c was a little noisy, but powerful. The staff was friendly, the building and grounds were well-maintained and clean. This is not a 5-star hotel, but if you want a nice, clean room at a decent, fair price, it is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Storm-spotters, and weather buffs: get the upper floor, west-facing rooms; you can see for miles and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank beerwhisperer
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Coralville, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear beerwhisperer,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We have passed the concerns about the air conditioning on to our management. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. Without customer feedback we would not be able to make the necessary changes to make our service better.

Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.