“Wasn't too happy”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Morton Grove, IL
“Wasn't too happy”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I didn't have a reservation: the rack rate is much higher then the advance purchase rate, which I thought was too high for a place of this caliber in this location. The room was clean enough, but smelled like smoke (even though a non-smoking room); some of the outlets didn't work; the staff was indifferent to their jobs at best, and the included breakfast was a joke.

Overall, if you'r paying $50-60/night, it's fine, but if you're paying more, there are better options at the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Super 8 Iowa City/Coralville, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear egswanso ~

Our apologies that you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. We would have been happy to match the rate you saw on line. Just let my staff know where you saw the rate, we can look it up, and match it for you. The west ends of the hotel as well as the entire second floor are non smoking rooms. These rooms should not have a smoke odor in them at all. There are 4 outlets above the desk. 2 of them are controlled by the light switch by the door.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt my staff seemed indifferent about their job and our breakfast was a joke. I have not seen that in my staff and I appreciate you letting me know. As for breakfast, I apologize if we were out of anything. I have addressed breakfast opportunities with my staff recently and I am here most days during breakfast and I am sorry I missed you.

We have talked about your feedback as a team and I want to assure you that we're committed to our guests every day.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. It is my hope that you will give us another chance! Please contact me personally if you have any more feedback for me or if I can help in any way.

nthurston@kinseth.com
319-337-8388

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Iowa
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Our usual B&B was booked so we chose to stay at Coralville’s Super 8. We booked a King room and found it to be clean and comfortable. There was even a comfy recliner, perfect for watching TV. The bathroom was brightly lit and spotless. One cute little touch: bath mat origami! They operate on a green principle, whereby you can opt (we did) to reuse your towels and simply have your bed made (rather than with new sheets). The bed pillows were plump and full and the mattress was comfortable. The air conditioner worked great—hot days, cold air! Coffee was available in the lobby at all hours; in fact, we went down to enjoy an evening snack with friends and asked the desk clerk if there was coffee—he said if there wasn’t, he would make fresh pots (reg & decaf) right away. The apple and orange juice machine was also operating at that time. The desk clerks were friendly and were helpful in providing directions to Iowa City attractions, supplying us with a map of downtown Iowa City and marking routes. Also, for those traveling with pets, this is a pet-friendly motel and there is a dog park nearby.

The motel offers breakfast but we found the offerings to be skimpy. The first morning we arrived at 8:30 and found the only things available were the 3 cereal dispensers, 2 partial loaves of bread and a line of guests at the waffle machine. No pastries, bagels, fruit or anything else you find on the standard motel continental breakfast; it looked like they ran out (full house that weekend) and didn’t make an effort to refill. We ate breakfast elsewhere and didn’t bother checking the 2nd morning, went out then, too.

The wi-fi wasn’t working the weekend we stayed. The staff wasn’t sure whether the problem was with the hotel hardware or the provider so we were unable to use our laptop. They did adjust our bill when we checked out, giving us a 10% reduction.

We would stay here again. The motel was clean, comfortable, easy to find and the rates are reasonable. The wi-fi problem was probably a one-time glitch and hopefully, in the future they’ll make sure they have enough breakfast to last the hours it is offered.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear JinIA ~

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found it to be a great alternative for your B & B! We are so glad you enjoyed the recliner!

I do apologize for the breakfast and the internet opportunities that we had during your stay. I have addressed the breakfast opportunity with my staff and it has been resolved. As for the internet, our provider did some updates in our area and for some reason we did not sync back up.

Thank you so much for your kind words! My staff and I hope to see you again soon!

With highest reguards,

Mo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on 6/16/12. The room and bathroom were very clean. Provided a good nights rest at a very reasonable price. We went for breakfast around 8:30 Sunday morning the breakfast area was understaffed, no milk or yogurt, no one to be found for help. I will stay there again when in the area but we will have breakfast earlier. In my opinion a much better value and cleaner than the overpriced HIE and FI in the same town .

Room Tip: Top floor was very quiet. Have breakfast early.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Robrite59 ~

I am so glad you had a great stay with us! I do apologize that our breakfast area was not stocked when you arrived. I have addressed this with my staff and taken care of this opportunity for improvement. Most days I am personally here for breakfast so I am sorry I missed you!

Please say hello the next time you visit! See you soon!

With highest reguards,

Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 23, 2012

we drove from indianapolis, indiana, to sacramento, california, and stayed at super 8 each night. i would recommend this hotel to everyone. the prices were great, the rooms were clean, and the beds gave us a great night's rest.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marijane s
NykoleThurston, General Manager at Super 8 Iowa City/Coralville, responded to this review, May 28, 2012

Dear Marijane S ~

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at our Super 8 in Coralville! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us to everyone.

On behalf on the Super 8 in Coralville team, we would like to thank you! We greatly appreciate your kind words and we thank you for helping us spread the word about our hotel to other travelers!

We hope to see you again soon!

Iowa
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Since this overnight stay was paid for by the government I didn't really expect much to begin with. We had two beds in a room on the 2nd floor at the end of the hall. The room seemed clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was cleaner than many high priced hotels that I've visited. I appreciated that the heat/cooling unit had a setting that allowed the fan to stay on all night. It's a nice way to block out noise from the street or hallway.
They are still using only flat sheets to make the beds. I like a bottom sheet that I don't have to keep tucking back in all night. They need to make more of an effort when first making up the beds or just invest in some fitted bottom sheets.
We didn't try out the breakfast. I'd go back again if it's free but if I'm paying I'd keep looking.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AmericanJaanee

Dear AmericanJaanee ~

I would like to first say thank you for your compliments to our hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the comfortable beds and the fan control option on the air conditioning unit. We do pride ourselves on cleanliness and guest service.

I sincerely apologize for there only being flat sheets on your bed. That is certainly not our standard. There should be both a fitted and a flat sheet. I want to thank you for bringing this to my attention and please know that this opportunity has been addressed with my housekeeping staff.

It is my hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with the excellent overall experience we are capable of. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to help you with accommodations on your next visit to the Iowa City/Coralville area!

Mn
Reviewed December 12, 2011

No clerk at front desk when we arrived around 7 pm. Note said to pick up phone to call him. He arrived promptly, but was visiting with someone who followed him to the front desk where the 2 conversed the whole time we were checking in.
Hotel room was dated but the bathroom was extremely clean. For the price and good location, I was thinking- not bad at all! Until I pulled down the bedding. The underside of the bedspread was filthy with what I hope was dirt. There was also a long black hair on the blanket. The final straw was the fact that there was no mattress pad on the bed, just the sheet directly on the mattress. Lots of hallway noise, we just left the heater run on low all night. The next morning, I handed the comment card to the new clerk and told her the bedding needed to be cleaned. She replied that they try to clean the bedding at least once a month on a rotating basis! No way could I stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Dear amismom ~

On behalf on the Super 8 in Coralville I want to thank you for the comments you provided about your stay in December, and apologize for what was clearly an unsatisfactory stay. We are extremely disappointed that we let you down.

Your first impression of the cleanliness in the room was certainly our standard. However, we dropped the ball on the comforter and 100% on guest service as well as giving you the wrong information on proper procedure of cleaning the comforters.

We have talked about your feedback as a team and I want to assure you that we are committed to making sure this does not happen again.

I do hope you will reconsider and give us another chance to serve you. I'm sure that your next stay will be much more delightful if given the opportunity.

Again I apologize and I appreciate your feedback.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I've stayed here twice and would stay here again. This appears to be a popular hotel for I-80 travelers stopping for the night and sporting events. It seemed pretty clean but aesthetically very basic. Room rate was good. Staff was friendly. Room furnishings are of the vinyl oak woodgrain style and room had an older tube TV. The first time, internet seemed faster than second but was free and a breeze to log in and stay logged in. The first time, my room was on second floor, adjacent to lobby and inner stairway and lobby conversations could be heard and stair noise was pretty loud but it stopped around bedtime. A previous guest had thrown a soap wrapper up on top of the shower enclosure and it had been left there by cleaning staff.

Room Tip: Stay away from the stairway if you can.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Dear tripledec ~

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay in November at our Super 8 in Coralville! We are thrilled that your stays with us have been super and to have you as a return guest and look forward to serving you in the future!

I appreciate you letting me know of opportunities to improve as well. I have communicated your feedback to my staff. Thank you for helping us!

Please say hello on your next visit!

Super 8 Coralville, IA Pride Property
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
AmericInn Coralville
AmericInn Coralville
#16 of 21 in Coralville
Comfort Inn & Suites Coralville

Been to Super 8 Iowa City/Coralville? Share your experiences!