“Satisfactory”

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Johnston, Iowa
“Satisfactory”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Negatives: parking lot congested with local businesses, breakfast area located right inside entry
Positives: rooms were clean, updated items
So-So: hallways clean but stairs were a mess with mud chunks

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Beth,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Usually parking is not quite so busy, but you are correct in your observations about the nearby restaurants...which can be great if you are hungry!! I do apologize for the location of the breakfast area, It is a multi-functional area for the hotel with guests just plain hanging our there each evening....so it does come in handy being close to the lobby. Our proximity to the huge construction project at the University is the reason for the mud that we are experiencing. We have several construction companies staying here while building the new University of Iowa Children's Hospital....and with the snow melt comes the mud! Thank you for staying with us...we do appreciate it and hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you to our area!!
Debbie Bullion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
North Liberty, Iowa
Reviewed March 22, 2014

There is a reason this is one of the least expensive places to stay. The hotel is worn but renovated, the rooms are clean but even though renovated still show some age as does the jammed parking lot. Staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is not much but fine for the price of the room. It seems to be the hotel of choice for construction workers. The word that comes to mind to describe this hotel is marginal. The doors are thin and the halls can be noisy. It does the trick and the savings is nice beyond that there is not much more to say.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Brassmat,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. We are a work in progress and are still doing some renovating. Heartland Inn is the closest hotel to the Univerisity of Iowa Hospital and Clinics and they are building a brand new children's hospital, hence the presence of construction workers. It is quite the huge project and has brought many specialized workers to our area. I am glad that we were able "to do the trick" and save you money at the same time!! Thank you once again for letting us know about your stay and I sincerely hope you will stay with us again sometime!!

Debbie Bullion
Colorado City, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I want to tell you all a story. My mother was transferred from our local hospital in Texas to the University of Iowa hospital to receive cancer treatment, and the process has been one of the hardest things my family and I have ever had to go through, until I got to the heartland inn. I was greeted by a young man by the of Jonathon who promptly checked me, but what made an impression on me was how kind and curious he was. The entire time he was talking to me it felt like I had known him since I was a young boy. He was asking me questions about how her treatment was, and later that afternoon when I came down for soup he remember my name and asked how my room was. Anyway, long story short, I was at the hotel completely exhausted and he personally brought me up extra pillows and cookies that night around 8 that night, (because they where out before), and checked on me to see how I was doing. I've stayed at many, many hotels before, and some are nicer than this one, but never, ever in my entire life have I been treated better by someone at the front desk, than I have from that young man named Jonathon. If only I could have said thank you one more time, or had a way to let him know that if it wasn't for him, my entire week would have never been the same. He brightened my day and the next day, when I was checking out, the young lady at the counter who checked me out showed me the same courtesy.

Now for the room:
The bed was comfortable
I had fresh coffee in the morning which was nice
The bathroom was extremely clean

If you are looking for a place to say in Iowa City I recommend the heartland inn to anyone and everyone. It is now my preferred hotel of choice, and will never stay anywhere else when I have the choice!

The staff is unbelievable. The only complaint I have is that the other lady at the front desk who was checking in another guest while I was getting checked in smelled like smoke, and later that night seemed rude when I asked her about the shuttle. Other than that, every single person on there staff is amazing, and I'm sure she is too! Thanks so much heartland inn, you'll forever be remembered.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Corbin C
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Corbin C.,

Thank you so very much for the wonderful testamonial!! Jonathan is just learning the ropes here!! It is just great to hear that he is making such an outstanding impression on our guests!! At Heartland Inn, we strive to make our guests feel at home , especially when they are here under stressful circumstances. I am hoping that things are going better for your Mother. I am also glad that Jonathan was able to be of assistance during what is such a difficult time. The best compliment we could ever ask for is to get a recommendation like yours!! Thank you so very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sure that you are beyond busy at this time and have many other things to do,so we appreciate you taking the time to write us. Take care now!! Sincerely, Debbie Bullion , General Manager
Banning, California
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Bad News: the hotel is somewhat dated.

The Good News: Great complimentary breakfast; free dinner; free shuttle to University Hospital; friendly staff; free Wi-Fi plenty of places to eat (Old Chicago, Peking Buffet, Hardee's, Sparti's Gyros, Petra Falafel House, et al.).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RobertPC118
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Robert,
Thank you for your recent review. We are working our way through renovations and hopefully when you return, we will look a bit more updated. I really like the "Good News" part of your review!!! I am so glad that you enjoyed all of our extras!!! We really appreciate the compliments...especially coming from a seasoned traveler like yourself!!! The Heartland Inn staff hopes to see you again soon!!!! Sincerely,
Debbie Bullion, General Manager
Torrington, Connecticut
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was blessed on December 31st to be treated with respect and kindness by Justin, the gentleman handling the night shift. I came to the hotel at 2am after the death of my sister, no luggage, no toiletries, emotionally and physically exhausted. Justin was very kind by offering me any toiletries in the "secret" basket - and provided information on the closet drugstore if I needed anything else. All I can say, was at that time, having someone show me kindness and express their sympathy was outstanding. Thank you, Justin, and staff for who you are and how you treat your guests. ~~~ Lana Crouse

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Lana,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that we could (in a small way) positively impact a very sad time for you. I have passed your comments along to Justin. It always makes everyone on staff feel rewarded when a guest notices our special touches. Also, let me express from everyone on staff, our deepest sympathies for the loss of your sister. We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully under better circumstances. Sincerely,
Debbie Bullion, General Manager
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This is our favorite place to stay when visiting for a football or basketball game. If you can brave the cold you can walk to the arena. The deluxe king room is great for additional room. Staff friendly, room clean - didn't eat breakfast - too crowded.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Bearsfan78,

Thank you so very much for another review of our hotel. It was probably a very brisk walk to the Arena!! We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Heartland Inn again while staying in our area. Hopefully, the next time you come to a game, it will be warmer!! AND, hopefully, the breakfast room won't be so busy and you can enjoy a fresh, hot made to order pancake or waffle. Thank you again for your stay and we will see you soon!!
Debbie B.
Tryon, North Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel because of the location, close to Iowa City Medical Center Hospital. My brother was having surgery, and I needed to be close by, being I was his care giver. I was so impressed with the courtesy shuttle service. They were caring, patient, prompt, and always ready to help and accommodate. With snow and wind, they never missed a pick up. The hot breakfast was the best, with an array of foods offered, especially the fresh Belgium waffles. Evening lite dinner with fresh cookies was a welcomed treat. My room was cozy, warm and the pillows and bed comfortable. I also enjoyed the fire in the fire place. I definitely recommend this friendly hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Carol1545,

Thank you for choosing Heartland Inn during you recent stay in our area. We always enjoy receiving compliments from our guests....thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so very glad that you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service , especially since the weather was so wintery while you were here!! Those Belgium waffles and fresh baked cookies are a real temptation!! Again, I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with Heartland Inn. Also, thank you for recommending our hotel to others in your review, we do appreciate it!!
Debbie B.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Quality Inn Coralville
Quality Inn Coralville
#9 of 21 in Coralville

Been to Heartland Inn - Coralville? Share your experiences!