“NOT a "Normal" Motel”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Coralville
Springtown
“NOT a "Normal" Motel”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place is more for long-term residents. I didn't see *anybody* else bring luggage. One guy was napping on a couch just inside, a desk lady was processing ?medical paperwork for someone, other folks were being served a hotdog supper in a soup-kitchen-like fashion. The room was fine. The people working seemed very nice. It just was still uncomfortable to me. Also, it is non-smoking inside, but dozens of folks blocked the entrances smoking by every door. The parking lot had lots of workman trucks and local people cars, not the packed minivans of travellers. It just was NOT normal! But, if this is what you need at a juncture of life, I am sure they would welcome you. Bless them.

• Stayed June 2013
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We do a certain amount of long term stays, due to our proximity to the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics and the Veterans Hospital. Many guests require long term stays, however not all. Some of our guest are like yourself and only stay a night or two. We do welcome a variety of guests....from hospital guests to guests working in the area to folks just passing thru the area. I guess I don't know what a" normal" traveler would be. We do offer a complimentary grill out every Wednesday night as well as light dinners other nights. Our guests really appreciate the extra amenities we offer, especially the fresh baked cookies!!! We are 100% smoke free, but, do allow smoking outside the building. We are welcoming to all guests and hope that you will try us again sometime!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed over on way to Des Moines, got room for $40 on hot-wire and it was worth it. Yes it is old and in need of updating, but it was quiet and comfortable enough. Needed new pillows, gave us neck aches, but bed was nice. Went for a swim at 11 pm which was a nice way to wind down after road trip, again needed updating but was nice enough. The seem to talk a lot about 'non smoking', but we walked through clouds of smoke in the hallways on our way to the pool, so I don't think it was enforced. Breakfast was honestly the worst hot/cold breakfast we had in years, need to revamp it some too. But free is for me. :) over all was worth exactly what we paid for it and would use it again.

Room Tip: Ask for river side room for less noise from late night restaurants.ask for extra pillows, bring own...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your opinion. We recently completed installing all new furniture in the rooms. So, we are continually updating and making upgrades. If your travels should bring you our way again, please just request extra pillows or different pillows, we are more than able to accommodate your needs. I am thinking that perhaps you missed our breakfast?? That is an area that we get many positive comments in ....guests love our made to order fresh hot waffles or pancakes. Plus, the fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, English muffins and biscuits/gravy are solid hits as well. We are 100% smoke free, we do allow smoking outside of the building and do our very best to enforce that at all times. I hope that your travels will bring you our way again. Again, thank you for your feedback!
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff help us checkin quickly and get different rooms because I didn't book correct number of guests and we needed two beds in each room(2 rooms). The staff was really accommodating. Rooms were a bit small in this dated, but clean hotel. Breakfast was an expanded continental buffet, mediocre at best. I wouldn't want to spend my vacation here, but it was clean, quiet, had courtesy staff, and was an outstanding value booked through hotwire.com

I will stop here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking time to let us know how your stay with us was!! Thank you for noticing our excellent housekeeping staff....they do keep us clean and tidy!!! At Heartland Inn, we strive to provide the best customer service possible and we appreciate you noticing the accommodating staff. We do hope that you will stop by again!!!
Hazel Green, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I have been staying off and on since 2008. At one stretch almost a year due to his job. We have traveled extensive and thus far this is the best hotel yet. The management and staff make the stay like none other. Where can you get free shuttle, breakfast, and evening meal with Wed. night being a cookout...all included with your room! After our last stay a thank you card almost beat us home. What other hotel does that? It is very clean, new furniture and new carpeting thru out. It is also close to some great shopping, what a bonus!

Room Tip: Rooms to the back have a great view of the river but I also like the front to see so I can see what...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive review!!! We certainly appreciate the feedback!! We do try to make you feel right at home. AND, thank you for noticing the new furnishings!! I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the great breakfast we offer and the grill out too!! It is just so rewarding to make guests feel at home!!! We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again soon!!!
Iowa
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and very clean. The check in was quick and efficient.

The directions to the elevator was vague, so I ended up dragging my suitcase back and forth down the hall until someone took pity on me and showed me where the elevator was located. No sign showing, so for you info, it is past the side entrance and halfway down the hall on the right side.

They offered ham and cheese sandwiches for the evening meal. Just OK Breakfast was better with a little guy that was a cleaning fool. He was all over the place cleaning up the messes and cooking the pancakes.

The room offered a little fridge and microwave in the room. Very handy for more than one night stays.

They offer free rides to the hospitals too. Nice service for people with family members who are ill or recovering.

I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Good luck finding the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed May 2, 2013

From the time I called in for reservations with Eric, and I checked in..everyone gave the BEST customer service. We were welcomed with smiles and I hope your drive was okay, to a wonderful Wednesday Night BBQ of Hot Dogs, Brats and Burgers on the grill. One of the wonderfull ladies printed of the TV schedual for my girls, and another Lady Told me how to Contact the Vital Records department.EVERYONE I came into contact with gave some of the best customer service I have ever seen. Working in Customer Service myself, I noticed how they all went out of there way to make my stay better. As Visiting the Hospital is not stressful enough, having not to worry about my stay was a HUGE relief..Definatly will stay again and recommened to all who go to Iowa City to stay here....

Thanks Heartland Inn.. SallyWohlstadter and Girls...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Westside, Iowa, United States
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here for my cousins wedding, and opted for the Jacuzzi suite since it was only a bit more than the standard room. WONDERFUL full sized Jacuzzi! The bedding however was less wonderful. Flat pillows and our blanket had a whole in it. Contental breakfast was wonderful.. They even had an attendant making fresh pancakes and waffles. They also served soup in the lobby which I thought was a nice touch! If we go to Iowa City again we'd probably stay here

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi! It was worth it!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbie B, General Manager at Heartland Inn - Coralville, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Ashley,

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you enjoyed the whirlpool suite!! The suites are definitely the way to go!! I do apologize for the bedding issues. We are anxious to correct any problems you might encounter during your stay, should you travel our way again, please just let one of our Guest Services Representatives know and the problem will be addressed immediately. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy the fresh pancakes and waffles.....I agree, they are yummy!! We hope to see you again in the near future!!
Thank You!!
Debbie Bullion
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coralville
Baymont Inn & Suites Iowa City / Coralville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Coralville - Iowa River Landing
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
Sheraton Iowa City Hotel
#2 of 6 in Iowa City
Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Iowa City/University Area
Holiday Inn Express Coralville

Been to Heartland Inn - Coralville? Share your experiences!