“Great value/Comfortable stay”

Holiday Inn Express Coralville
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Coralville
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We stayed only one night but found this hotel to be very comfortable. The bed and pillows were great, as were the towels.
Only one suggestion: To be more "green" and make a more satisfying experience at breakfast, use stainless flatware. The little plastic ones are not great.
Thanks for nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2009

From check in to check out - everything was great. We arrived on a Monday night and stayed through Friday. The staff was super friendly. The breakfast was great every morning and the managers reception was good too. All the extras you get with your stay made things very comfortable. - A tip - If you happen to be in town for a hospital visit please mention this. There's a pretty good discount involved.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mars2009
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Fantastic hotel, I've stayed there a couple of times. Courteous staff, attention to detail, and the best part of it (for me at least) was a nice breakfast. Great way to start a day :). The WIFI is free and pretty fast too.

Only hitch was there was no TBS available on my first two trip, in the third trip, I did find TBS, maybe they added that later.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2009

Thank You for your review of our hotel, I will share it with our staff. We did upgrade our cable system and now have TBS along with 70 other channels, including HBO.

Reviewed September 22, 2009

I only spent one night, but I would have liked to stay longer! The room was large and tastefully decorated. The bed was very comfortable. I love Holiday Inn Express towels - they are the best in the business. Good breakfast. My one and only complaint is about the very thin, frayed bath mat. Everything else was great.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Igavegoldieaway
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We recently completed a two week family vacation and this was our hotel for the last night of the trip and was the worst hotel experience of the whole trip as well.

I have never given a hotel a 2 rating until now. It was a whole bunch of little things and the attitude of the staff that drove the rating down. As we were driving from the area, I made a list of all the problems and my opinions so that I could write a full and complete review. I have reviewed many properties and have never felt compelled to make a list or write notes, that is how strongly the bad taste from this hotel hit me.

Here we go:
First, the good things:
1.) The location is very good. A mall next door and lots of food and other shops all around. Most within walking distance. (or carryout back to the hotel to eat in the breakfast area.) It is easy access off the freeway and back on. As we were leaving on Saturday, a car accident had the interstate closed just where we were supposed to get on.... we were able to shortcut through the mall and hotel parking lots and found another ramp to the freeway further down and avoided a long delay. The location of this hotel made this possible.

2.) The breakfast is excellent. Plenty of choices and the hostess kept all filled. Scrambled eggs, sausauge patties, sausage gravy, cheese omlets, biscuits, toast, cinamon rolls, cereals, hard boiled eggs, fruit and milk and juices. The breakfast area is too small however. We will discuss that in the negative section.

3.) Check in was easy and you receive a gift bag with bottled water, an apple and rice krispie treat. Another bottle of water was waiting in the room. Check out is also easy.

Now the negatives:
1.) We did not make advance reservations since we didn't know how far we could get. I did not have internet access to check Trip Advisor or book the room. We called this hotel when we were about 90 minutes and inquired if they had rooms and were told yes. My wife was making the phone call and told the clerk that we had AAA membership. She was quoted a rate of $128.90 per room with that discount. I thought that was high, but we didn't want to risk not getting a room or calling around and so we took it. After all the taxes, the total came to $144.37 per room which is really overpriced for any hotel of this level. Not a good value.
When I got to our room and was able to access the Holiday Inn Express website, I looked up the price of the room for Friday night (the night we stayed) since it was still early enough to do so.... What did I discover... the rate on the HI Express website was $10 a night cheaper for the room than I was paying! So basically, if I had stopped at a rest area or truck stop with internet service, I could have booked the 2 rooms cheaper than by calling them direct! What a rip off.

2.) The bathroom in our rooms was small. Not as small as another HI Express we stayed in, but smaller than the Hamptons. The counter space in the bathroom was the smallest of all the hotels.

3.) The carpet in our room was somewhat sticky. The carpet in my parents room was not. The hallways were clean and well maintained.

4.) Ice machines: There are normally only 3 ice machines in this hotel... one on the first floor, one on the second floor and one on the fourth floor. (if you get a room on 3 or 5 you have to go to another floor.) To add to this problem, the fourth floor ice machine (the floor we were on) was broken. Everyone on floors 3-5 had to go down to 1 or 2 for ice on the single elevator (more on that huge problem later). Granted Ice machines can break and the sign said they were waiting for parts.... but why not switch the first and fourth floor ice machines?? The first floor of this hotel has very few rooms but yet they get an ice machine??

5.) The Air Conditioner in our room was extremely loud when it turned on and off. Everytime it turned on... it woke you up. The Air Conditioner in my parents room smelled like something was burning when they first turned it on. They called the front desk: "oh they smell like that sometimes when you first turn them on and they haven't been used in a while....let it run and the smell will disapate."

6.) The pool was very nice.. .but my wife and daughter could not get the door to open to the pool. Another family also tried while my family was at the door and they too could not get into the pool area. (It was 9:00 p.m. and a boy and his father were swimming but would not come to the door to let the others in.)

7.) The handicapped parking spaces were directly in front of the entrance. Very nice, but they put two or three regular spaces between the handicapped spaces and these spaces would normally block the ramps leading from the spaces to the entrance. We were lucky, there was a group of motorcycles that were parked in these spaces while we were there and so access to the ramp was available.... but if cars had been parked here, it could have been a problem.

8.) The walls must not be very thick. For the first time in several nights of hotel stays, we could hear people in the room above us. We could hear voices from the hallway and we could hear other bathrooms water being turned on and off. Never expected that for a hotel that charges as much as this hotel, a Motel 6 maybe...but not for this price.

9.) The Breakfast area was extremely small for the number of rooms in this hotel. The breakfast areas in four other hotels that we stayed in (including two other Holiday Inn Expresses) were larger and those hotels had less rooms. Finding a table was difficult and many people simply left the room to go back to their rooms to eat. (some people didn't clear their plates and trash and so you didn't know if they were done or not which added to the problem)
The line for the breakfast is not very well laid out. They have the toasters and bread areas off to one side and the rest of the bar along the main wall. The number one place where the line became non moving was in front of the coffee and tea area on the main wall. (Obviously because many people were filling mugs or adding sugar or cream...which is not a problem). A better set-up would be to switch the toast/bread area and the coffee/tea area. That way a back-up at the coffee area, which is normal, does not adversly affect the main parts of breakfast.

and finally, the one major thing that turned me off the hotel:
10.) There is only ONE small elevator for a very large, five story hotel. There was always a wait to use the elevator and it was very frustrating.

The final straw came when we were taking our luggage to the car. We loaded all of the luggage from both our room and my parents room on one luggage cart. (since only 2 carts were available for the whole hotel.). We pulled the cart to the fourth floor elevator lobby and pushed the call button. The first time the doors opened, the elevator was full of people and their luggage...can't get on that one. Doors close and we push the call button again, the next time the doors open, same thing. Third time... same thing. (this was because everyone was checking out around the same time which is natural)

Then the most upsetting thing happened on the fourth time the doors opened and on the elevator was a cleaning lady with two cleaning carts. I said "are you going up to 5 because if so I will ride up and bring the elevator back for our luggage?" She said: "I am going from the fifth to the second floor to clean the hallway. and there is no room on here for you" and closed the door. The fifth time, the doors opened, the elevator was full of guests again. I had just about had it at that point....standing there with my elderly parents, 12 year old daughter and a full luggage cart, I was ready to go to the Manager.

Then the sixth time the doors opened, a young boy was on the elevator with an empty cart that he was taking to the fifth floor for his family. He said: "I have seen you waiting here a long time, do you want to put your cart on here with mine so the elevator doesn't fill up? What a great kid! He then pulled his cart out so that ours could go in first and he could put his in second and be able to get it out on five. While we were making the switch, the doors began to close and it took all my strength to keep them open while we manuvered both carts on the elevator. (the elevator alarm bell also began to go off but I didn't care at this point.) We rode the elevator to the fifth floor with the young man (we are talking a12 year old probably...very polite) and he got off. We stopped back at four to get my parents who were still waiting by the elevator.

When we got to two, the doors opened and the same cleaning woman who was on the elevator wanted back on with her stuff. "I have work to get done she said." I told her there was no room and to let the door close.

When we got to the first floor, there was a line of people waiting to go up in the elevator. (Obviously it had been a while for them too and one person even commented how bad it was for only one elevator.)

As we rounded the corner with our cart there were several cleaning women standing there with carts of towels and sheets. As we walked by, I heard one say to another: "some of these people need to carry their luggage down themselves, we need to get our stuff upstairs so we can get to work." Another cleaning lady said: "yeah, don't they know we have work to do?" I almost stopped to confront them and remind them that the hotel is for the guests and the guests should have priority on the elevator, but I thought better of it. I was extremely mad at the near 30 minute wait to bring our luggage down.

My question in all this is simple.... WHY ARE THE EMPLOYEES USING THE ELEVATOR TO MOVE CLEANING ITEMS DURING THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE DAY??? (Check-out). It was around 8:15 a.m. when we were attempting to come down. Why can't the cleaning supplies, towels and sheets be moved up to the respective floors prior to 6:00 or 7:00 a.m.??? Why do the hallway floors have to be vacummed at 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. in the morning.... why not do those floors around noon to 2:00 p.m. when not many guests are in the hotel and there is not much call for the elevator.

One small elevator for a five story hotel is bad enough... but to allow the employees to use it for their supplies during the busiest time of the day is just poor planning and poor management.

My experience at this hotel will make me think twice about all Holiday Inn Expresses in the future. I think I will stick more to the Hampton Inns when available. (there is a Comfort Suites across the street from this hotel as well which would stil be close to all of the shopping and dining.)

I have never been disappointed in a hotel as much as I was in this hotel. This is the only hotel or restaurant of my entire 2 week trip that I have to give the red thumbs down sign to.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank JECOhio
ChrisPhillipsAGM, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Coralville, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2009

We would like to thank this guest for providing such elaborate feedback regarding their stay. These compliments and suggestions will be shared with all of our team members. The early morning hours can be very busy at our hotel, as there are simply a lot of guests using all of the hotels services, and there are typically 5 or 6 housekeepers who need to navigate their way around the hotel as well. A busy hotel housekeeping department will have the challenge of not being able to start work too early because of noise concerns and the fact that most rooms are not vacated much before 8:00 am. With our hotel being located right at Coral Ridge Mall, we also have a lot of guest who request early check in times, and we work hard to try and meet all of these requests. Our elevator does get pretty busy at times, and we are always grateful to our guests for their patience, and our staff is coached routinely on providing the best guest experience possible.

I’d like to thank this guest for staying with us and for providing such detailed feedback regarding their stay. Thank You

Reviewed May 12, 2009

My wife and I were visiting grandchildren for 2 days. We usually stay in the big name, upscale hotels, but after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I choose Holiday Inn Express. Having never stayed and a HI Express, I wasn't sure what to expect. Was I surprised! This hotel offers everything you could possibly want. Everything from large, soft towels, a refrig, microwave, comfortable bed with soft clean-smelling sheets, wi-fi, wonderful breakfast buffet, exercise room, pool, convenient vending and ice machines, close parking, next to many restaurants and a mall .... need I say more? Do not hesitate, stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Coralville.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnacquercus
Reviewed May 7, 2009

Just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Coralville, on a business trip. The woman at the front desk so so cheery and helpful and she brightened my day! Great location, I was able to walk to the mall, and to dinner, it was a beautiful evening. Thanks Holiday Inn Express! I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business