“Very nice stay for my first with this brand”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Colfax
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I came into this Microtel while road tripping through this area. I had received a tip to try this brand. I knew nothing about it, but wanted to try. I stopped in this lobby and asked the person on duty if she could "sell her brands to me" and she gladly obliged me. I decided to give it a try, and had a coupon from the travel guide and had a great stay. Very cozy and clean. Smoking rooms available. Very friendly and helpful staff. They have just what you need without the expensive frills you don't need. They are located off the highway for easy access, but surrounded by corn (for great pics). There is food and gas nearby. They seerve a continental breakfast and have pop machines and vending too. Ice maker. All that you need to get through the night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel was more than adequate for what we needed.as we tried to reserve something on line in Des Moines the previous day however no luck. The setting for the hotel is quite unique for a West Coast boy as the cornfield surrounding the hotel gave it a very rural Iowa look. The room was very comfortable, we had a Queen Jacuzzi suite, very spacious. Even-though the hotel is close to I - 80 we heard little to no highway noise, heard more thunder than vehicles. If you are looking for a place to eat locally drive into the town of Colfax, about 1 mile, and visit Georgio's Pizza. We had the House Special with extra cheese and it was served very hot and was absolutely fantastic and reasonably priced. The service was very good and the, I am assuming, owner/manager was very friendly. I would recommend this hidden gem of a pizzeria off the main thoroughfare.

Room Tip: If you can reserve on - line they web deals(at least this one did) as well as AAA discounts.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The road noise is there but who cares when your getting a fresh room. I called ahead of time to make sure my age wouldn't be a problem, which I was treated very good by Thresa from the beginning (whom answered the phone and checked me in) I was very comfortable carrying on a conversation with her. I was issued my electronic room key to #104... Thats when i walked in:

The room was fresh and bright, no stanky odor. The freeway is right next to my room which is a downside, but honestly, i can't really hear it that much except when 10 semi's go by in a row like they JUST did. The room was already cool, which was rocking! Its clean, has a decent size TV with great picture quality. The bathroom is very clean, fresh for my shower. The only downside was the shower got super super slipery when wet, but be careful and you'll be fine. No complaints at all. I stayed here due to the horrible ratings of the Colfax inn next door.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Being in rural Iowa, the hotel is literally surrounded by cornfields. Overall the hotel was great and in true Microtel form had a great bed, like sleeping on a cloud. Room was clean and orderly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This hotel was ok, but not spectacular by any means. The room was clean, but I must have had the same room as Nicole T did, as it was right beside the elevator. We were on the back side of the hotel and were probably too tired to hear traffic but there was very limited furniture in the room and the bed was around the corner from the a/c unit so we had to turn it to freezing to get any air. If you are just going down the road from point a to point b, you can survive one night here. As for the breakfast, it was a waste of time unless you love cereal and you were expected to purchase oj or apple juice from a cooler in the lobby. There was a McDonald's close by and the service at that particular one was good and the coffee and breakfast fresh. The employees spend alot of time standing out in front smoking cigarettes so if you need one, that is where to look. It smelled disgusting entering the building when it is all supposed to be non-smoking only. I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get on the back side as the freeway is on the front side. It's a LITTLE quieter. Don...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Found this hotel by chance after trying for several hours to get a room (College World Series was in Omaha and area hotels were booked solid). Very tired after all day driving. Facility did not appear to be busy (parking lot almost empty), room was clean, bed was comfortable and the staff were friendly. Typical continental breakfast - limited choices.
About 9PM heard a dog barking and whimpering so I looked outside (1st floor room) to see if a dog had been left in a car - the noise stopped. Went to bed and after 10PM heard the dog again. I looked out and saw nothing but the noise continued. Checked the parking lot with the night manager - found nothing. Returned to the room and my wife said it sounded like it was coming from next door or above us - manager said he would check. A short time later the manager phoned to say it was above us and the dog was whinning and scratching at the door. He contacted the patrons and they said they would return shortly. They returned at 12:30 AM and the dog stopped but they stomped around the room for a couple of hours - perhaps to thank us for our concern about their dog. Very poor sleep because of the disturbances. I should have asked to change rooms but then again the manager should have suggested it since he knew the noise was bothering us.
If there is any sign of smoking in a room there is a $200-$250 cleaning fee. How about a $200-$250 pet disturbance fee as well - and the $ gets deducted from the bill of those other patrons who were bothered. I love dogs but I do not like irresponsible dog owners who think that paying a $10 pet fee gives them the right to do whatever they want without a care as to how it affects others.
I think this hotel is probably much better than what I was shown during my brief stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floor on the side away from the highway - may be less noise but more imp...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ontario88
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The hotel was very clean, but it was very noisy. You could hear the highway traffic all night and we had a room above the laundary and next to the elevator so there was very little sleep. Breakfast was ok nothing special. Was a fine place for one night but wont stay again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 213!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colfax
Colfax Inn
#5 of 8 in Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Hampton Inn & Suites Altoona - Des Moines
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton? Share your experiences!