“Adequate sleeping room while travelling”
Review of Colfax Inn

Colfax Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Colfax
Reviewed May 14, 2014

On a long road-trip across I-80, decided to stop for the night here. Was a basic, adequate hotel. Got a good rate. Staff indicated they used to be a Comfort Inn (?) but now are independently owned. Rooms were passable but not all that clean (carpets not vacuumed, dust on the dresser, sheets had cigarette burns in visible areas) but the bathroom was clean. I was a little irritated there was no hair dryer or lights in the vanity light bar above the sink. There was a small refrigerator and a microwave in the room, but we didn't use either. Beds were super comfy, hotel was quiet, common areas were clean. The room had a window we were able to open, which was nice for fresh air. This hotel does not have much around - only a McDonalds and gas station across the street. The next morning we went down for free breakfast, which didn't consist of much, but it was clean. My hubby was loading suitcases in the car, and left the door propped open, and I was still in the room putting away my computer, and cleaning staff walked right in the room without even knocking. I found that a little rude, and asked him to leave and come back after we checked out. I went to check out and there was a hand-written piece of paper on the desk that said "if you are checking out, please sign your name and your room number and leave key - staff is busy elsewhere." I waited around for a couple minutes, thinking surely someone would walk by, but nope. Finally, I reluctantly wrote down my name and room number and threw my keys over the counter, and hoped for the best. No errant charges on my credit card (I checked over the next week). All in all, a decent stay if you need something on I-80 while travelling.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is the fourth time we stayed here and the past three were marginal experiences at best. The fourth on May 1st was terrible. We arrived expecting a pool and wi fi. As usual the pool was under repair and the wifi out in our room. When entering the room the tv was not working right, the hair dryer was missing, all vanity sink lights were missing and the Kleenex dispenser was empty. The pm manager was surprised to see this but he did fix some of the issues. We had booked a non-smoking room but the room had a strong smoke odor and it could not be ventilated out because there was no bathroom fan. The manager said the smoke probably drifted down from the second floor?? The guest above was loud until 2am so I went to see the manager. No one was at the front desk so I rang the desk bell and no response. I then noticed a sign to call an extension which I did but no one answered. I tried contacting the number three times over about half an hour but still no response so I went to the contact room which had a do not disturb sign on the door. I finally went to the noisy room and dealt with the situation myself. We basically got no sleep that night. When I spoke to the am manager about some form of refund due to a totally unsatisfactory stay, he said he had no authority to do so. I asked him to contact the boss. The boss indicated there would be no compensation whatsoever. The am manager said maybe he could get us a discount on our next stay! I informed him that if his boss was not willing to work with a repeat guest over the current matter, we would not be back. Please do yourself and your family a major favor and do not stay at this establishment!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

You would likely get more sleep in the parking lot sitting in your car. The pool has been closed for months and months and months according to reviews on this site and my April 2014 visit. The elevator is broken and the whirlpools do not work either. There is NOTHING about this hotel that is redeeming. The rooms, in fact, WERE NOT CLEANED. They put fresh soap and shampoo but cleaned nothing -- even the sheets hadn't been changed. The last guests wine was in the fridge, the sink and faucets were filthy, the mirrors were smudged and dirty. It was horrible! Unfortunately I was here for a seminar and had no choice but to stay. I "slept" with the light on and needless to say it was fitful. The security is non-existent, the breakfast is poor, at best -- although I wouldn't have eaten anything that would have been cooked as this was the most unclean, horrible place I have ever, ever stayed. The ONLY redeeming quality was that the staff really tried to be helpful but they obviously were not doing their jobs. Even more distressing I overheard the staff talking to a telephone caller and saying, "well let me see if someone else's credit card number wasn't deleted when they cancelled and we can make your reservation under that credit card number." OH MY GOSH!

Room Tip: Upper floors are smoking rooms, lower floor bathrooms smell like smoke from upstairs.
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The gentlemen upfront was great, friendly and was helpful! However, the pool is closed, the elevator doesn't work. Then internet is sluggish at best. The bathroom wasn't clean, had hair all over the tub from the previous renter. I suppose is not bad if your just staying for 1 night just to sleep while making a pit stop for some shut eye. But if your staying for a week or more for work, terrible choice in hotels.

Room Tip: Go to Microtel Inn, they have great rooms, great price, great internet. Only downfall is the lack of...
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Dec 19, 2013 and had a really nice time. The room was huge (see pics). I had the king size room which had a king bed, full couch, coffee table, desk, mini frig and microwave. One of the largest rooms I had experienced in all of my hotel stays. The bed felt great. Very comfortable. When I checked in, the gentleman at the front desk mentioned several nice restaurants in town which were good. I checked out one of them (Poppys) and had a great meal at a very reasonable price. The breakfast in the morning was very good. Hot waffles, assortment of breads/muffins, juices, coffee etc. (See pics). There must have been 8-10 tables in the b'fast area so at least 30-40 people could eat there at one time without any problems. So hotels I have stayed at in the past only had a few table, so seating was an issue. Not at this hotel. The pool area was closed during my stay. I asked the front desk lady the next morning why it was closed and she said due to maintenance. I plan to be back in the area in a couple of weeks and will be booking this hotel again for that stay. For the price, it will be my hotel of choice whenever I am in this area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2013

When we arrived and entered our room, it was very clean. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. The pool area was closed due to a heater being out. We were able to enjoy breakfast before our day started. They had cereal, coffee, tea, bagels, donuts, toast, and waffles. I would have liked to see some yogurt, fresh fruit and juice. The room didn't have an alarm clock, but told the gentleman at the front desk. There was very good water pressure. There is a McDonald's and subway within walking distance. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just passing though and I booked this place on a travel site. I asked if there was a tub suite available and I upgraded.

Room was very clean and the tub was fantastic. (room 126)
The bed was a very comfortable king size. This room had a microwave and small fridge but an ancient tube-TV...Hey, it has a hot tub...why are you watching TV?

We liked it so much that on our return trip we stayed there again in the same room.

Pool wasn't available (under repairs?) so that was a bit of a bummer.

Right across the street is a gas station with a McDonalds and Subway within walking distance if you need a bite to eat.

The free breakfast was ok. Cereal, waffles, bagels, some fruit.

Free internet.

Room Tip: Room 126 is a hot tub suite. I think the 2nd flood is mostly smoking as I could smell a heavy smoke...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ewestpfahl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colfax
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton
Best Western Holiday Manor Newton
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#5 of 8 in Newton

Been to Colfax Inn? Share your experiences!