“A very nice place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Kansas City, Missouri
“A very nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have stayed many times at this Courtyard, on our way to parts north to visit relatives. It is consistently clean, comfortable and friendly. The rooms are nice appointed, with plenty of conveniently placed outlets for charging electronics, and free Wi-Fi. The pool and patio area are nice and well-kept, with plenty of seating outside. The new lobby is beautiful and comfortable.

Since they have switched over to the "Bistro" for food service, however, the breakfast has been somewhat chaotic. It is not really clear where one is supposed to stand to order, or what one can have if breakfast is included in the room price. Having to stand at the counter to order makes for some confusion and is much slower than the old breakfast buffet. This is not a complaint about this specific hotel, as Marriott has apparently made this change in other Courtyards. I just don't think it was well thought out in terms of flow and organization. It is nice to have food service available, but as others have mentioned, we've checked in around holidays and found the Bistro closed in the past.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the first floor have access to the pool area directly.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am happy that you enjoy staying at our property and we are pleased to be your hotel of choice when traveling through the area. I will share your comments with the members of my team. I apologize for any frustration that our conversion to the Bistro may have caused. We really like the changes we have made and are always looking for better ways to serve our guest. I will take your comments and work with my staff to make this experience better for out guest. Once again, thanks for your sharing your comments and concerns and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Thanks
Jeff V.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

A nice place to stay.
They have a Bistro, but it was closed on Memorial Day. Guess it was because of the lack of guests.
Rooms were just fine, but the hotel is a little out of the way.
A long walk to the elevator.
Itty is a "Gotta Goo"kinda place.
IHG
Rube

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that the Bistro was closed the evening you stayed. Due to the low occupancy we allowed some additional staff members to take time off to enjoy the holiday. I hope you were not inconvenience by this. I hope on your next trip to the area, that you make the Courtyard West/Clive your hotel of choice.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

OK, I am in Des Moines generally once a week for a day or two. I enjoy staying at this Courtyard. Everyone knows me and genuinely cares about the guests.
The rooms are fine. The pool and spa are available and never are crowded. The management team and staff work very hard to make the facility spic and span.
Everyone says hello as you walk through the halls. I guess it just plain works.
The team I work with stays there all the time. Given a chance to try another location, they are very happy where they are.
At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I will pass your kind words on to my staff. We take pride in making our guest feel at home and do our best to ensure that our facility is clean and comfortable. I am truly blessed with a staff that cares and enjoys serving great people like your self. Since you are a regular guest I am sure you are aware of how much we appreciate your business and enjoy seeing you each week.
Albia, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked a room that said it was a King bed and a sofa sleeper. I have a family of four, so I assumed that "sofa sleeper" meant a loveseat size that would sleep my 2 kids. When we got in the room, the "sofa sleeper" was actually a chair that pulled out. I asked for a rollaway bed and was told that I couldn't have one in that kind of room. They just told me "Sorry". The next morning, they offered us a Starbucks for the trouble, but we had already bought one, so it was a little late. I was just frustrated that I didn't get what I payed for.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and I am sorry that you feel that you were some how deceived when you booked your reservation. Our Sofa beds are a standard size that you would find in most hotels. They are a size larger that a Twin and just a few inches smaller than a full size bed. I am also sorry if that is how the desk staff responded to your request for a rollaway. In most cases there is not enough space remaining once the sofa bed it set up in the room for an additional rollaway. In the future please feel free to contact a member of management if your are dissatisfied.. If there is anything that I can do for you please let me know.
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Love the hotel! Very polite and helpful staff. Nice bistro (I am a vegetarian and they made specific dinner on arrival since most items I could not eat). The guy working in the mornings remembered my specific coffee order each morning when I arrived. One item I didn't like...Bath Towels were like sandpaper and thin. Other than that...excellent stay. Beds were awesome and I think my insomnia was cured this week.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thanks for shaing your comments with us. I am happy that you enjoyd your stay. I am pleased to let you know that Courtyard has changed the type of bath towels we are using in our guest rooms. The new style is larger and more plush. We are just starting to get them in now and hopefully will have them in every guest room over the next few months.
SW Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I first found a coupon on a Des Moines tourism web site to get a room here for $75. I called Courtyard a week before to make my reservation. I told them about the coupon and I was told that offer was only good for walk-ins on the day you stay. I was told to keep the coupon and bring it with me. I did. When I showed up and showed them the coupon, they didn't honor it. I was told that the deal was not available that night. Limited availability was stated on the coupon, but when I was told to bring it how could I not assume they would take it, especially after I told them a week in advance what night I wanted to stay? I really wish deals like this would state the specifics so people know in advance how and when they can use it. I stayed at the Courtyard anyway. I didn't want to drive through metro-Des Moines looking for a better deal. The room at Courtyard was clean and nice even after I what paid. Pool was good. The hotel was quiet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JohnSWIowa
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with me. I apologize that the staff misinformed you about the coupon. The coupon rate is based on availability but can be booked in advance. If there is anything I can do for you feel free to contact me directly. I am gald you still chose to stay with us and that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks again for your comments. I will share this with my Guest Service Attendants to ensure nothing like this happens again in the future.
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff can make or break a hotel in my opinion. Check in was smooth, help at the front desk was wonderful. The rooms were very clean. We had to get rooms at the last minute so I didn't expect much, so I was pleasantly surprised. The price was very reasonable even though there was a convention it town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for choosing Courtyard. My staff and I are happy that you enjoyed stay. Please give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#12 of 49 in Des Moines
La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive
Sterling Hotel and Suites

Been to Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive? Share your experiences!