“Great hotel, very friendly staff”

Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Oreana IL
“Great hotel, very friendly staff”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here to celebrate Christmas with family. The woman at the front desk was wonderful! The lobby is very chic. The rooms were nicely decorated, the bed was very comfortable. I loved the shower pressure , very, very good. One thing I was not fond of was the vanity was small,a little inconvenient with two people in a room. Otherwise , the room was great. Did not have the opportunity to experience the pool or breakfast as my husband became ill during our first night. I was very impressed with the man at the front desk who was very friendly and helpful , even at 3:30 a.m., and directed me to a Walgreens that was open 24 hours. I'm sure he was amused by my bedhead , but kept his composure. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you when you return to the Des Moines area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed November 26, 2012

4.8 stars from me. So So close to a 5 which I rarely give. We stay 260 nights a year in hotels. This place was perfect for us and the rooms are well thought out, bright, plenty of plugs for electronics etc., fast and free wifi, quiet, great desk and chair, properly working heat/ac, comfortable beds, clean and new and completely remodeled, flat screen tvs with lots of channels, great lobby and nice pantry food/drink selection including beer wine. I would love to have given a 5.0 star rating buy my 4.8 rating is for two reasons. 1) Only given about a third of a roll of toilet paper with no back-up roll. Strange. 2) there was no Do-No-Disturb sign in the room so we had to deal with knocks on our door TWICE. I could have not been lazy and called the front desk for a sign or told housekeeping to lay off but I was lazy. I'll stay again and if all is the same plus you give me some toilet paper and a DND sign then you'll get my elusive 5 star review. If my review is helpful to you please click and tell TripAdvisor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank azstampcoin
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with the members of my staff. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was chosen for price, room layout, and amenities: indoor pool and hot tub, fitness center. And a bistro serving Starbucks and breakfast in the A.M. And dinner and drinks in the PM.

Complimentary coffee disappearing mid-morning was the only drawback.

Staff was consistently cheerful, helpful and professional. Lobby and room are updated and very clean!

We will be back next time we visit our friends in Des Moines!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for chossing Courtyard. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

MI
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is an old Courtyard on the outside but wonderful on the inside. My wife and I really liked all the new improvements in the room and the lobby turned out nice. We have stayed in this hotel many times before and I must say the renovation was overdue. When we came down for breakfast in the morning is where things got interesting. No one was at the front desk and the nice lady taking the food orders and working the restaurant had to “man” the front desk as well when the phone rang or someone wanted to check out. Someone from housekeeping in “scrubs” tried to help as much as possible. The restaurant was a mess due to lack of attention as was the lobby. We got our order in while no one was in line (at the front desk or restaurant) and were treated to a nice breakfast. Others coming after us were not so lucky. My guess is this is a good place but they were short staffed by at least two people the Sunday morning we were there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank your for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your comments regarding the staffing. I will share them with the other members of the management team. We are aware of some of the staffing issues we have had and are makeing the proper adjusments to ensure situations like this do not happen in the future.

Thanks for choosing Courtyard!
Iowa City
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed one night while traveling for work. This is a decent hotel and I would stay here again.

What I liked about the hotel:
*Clean and comfortable room - nice bed
*Room was quiet - on 3rd floor facing the courtyard. They had a nice thick curtain that made the room very dark
*Free wi-fi, worked okay
*Though not a new hotel - it was updated and clean and felt like a decent place.

There was no free breakfast. Service and value - average. Nice courtyard for the warmer days. Snacks and some food available at hotel - other restaurants close by.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the area.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here overnight on a short business trip. Location is pretty convenient for business on the west side. This is an older facility that is currently undergoing a freshening up on the first floor, contractors are everywhere - and very polite. My room was fine with a great bed, nice furnishings (except for botched wallpapering) and pleasant decorations. Wi-fi was fast enough to watch movies without an issue. Common areas were fine.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank timminn
Jeff V, General Manager at Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I am glad to hear that your stay in Clive was a pleasant one. I am also happy to let you know that the wallpaper has all been replaced as part of our revonation, which will be complete this weekend. All of our rooms and common areas have been completely renovated and look amazing.
We hope you will come back to see all of the changes. Please let us know if there was anything else we could do to make your stay exceptional. We make it a priority to constantly improve on our guest services.
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was having a hard time finding a room in Des Moines so I could enjoy the Iowa State Fair. A lot of the rooms in town were booked, but I had no problem getting a room here. I now realize why this was so easy.

Upon entering the updated lobby you feel like you are in a chic, hip hotel. The friendly and modern TV lounge and the welcoming tables in the bistro area make this a wonderful welcome and contrast to the dated but tidy 70s era exterior. However, when you get beyond the lobby, you are transported back to 1985. The hallways are dark and fluorescent lit like a hospital in a horror movie. The second floor hallway floors were also sinking in dozens of places making the floor wavy and a trip hazard for seniors, those with mobitlity issues and for women in high heels. As a person with severe arthritis, the divots in the floor made me very unsteady on my feet.

The rooms seemed pleasant on first glance. The wallpaper, carpet and countertops have been redone for a modern look. There are also updated LCD TVs in each rooms that, unfortunately, did not feature any HD programming. The bath has had some updating with a rain shower head, curved shower bar and a granite top sink. The headboards are also quite modern and pleasing.

But.... The rooms are tiny. A king room with sleeper sofa does not leave room for walking. One can turn off the TV and retrieve items from the fridge without leaving the bed. (Really!). The bathroom still had the old 70s era toilet that was perhaps 10 inches off the ground. Those with sore knees or those used to a more modern toilet height will be disappointed. In addition, the mattresses were also not updated. As the worn and stained sheets did not fit well, the ancient mattress pad and ancient mattress were very easy to see. As a result, sleeping was unpleasant and a bit disgusting as I found myself actually sleeping on the mattress pad rather than the sheets which never fit.

Overall, if you can get a rate in the 70s for this place, it may be worth it. However, there are better properties in the area (Wildwood, Chase Suites) that offer more for the money. I was hoping that a Marriott property would live up the Marriott name. Not so in this case.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TomRiedmiller
I am very sorry that your stay with our hotel was less than incredible. I am however thrilled to let you know that the 70's toilets and 1985 interiors are a thing of the past. We are now at the end of a renovation of all of our guest rooms and common areas, right down to the ice machines. The chic hip bistro that you mentioned now has guest rooms to match. We have all new carpet, wallpaper, beds, bedding and even artwork and drapes. Meanwhile our staff continue to be top notch and have stepped up to offer incredible service during a very busy renovation.
I urge you to give our establishment another shot. Let us know how we can make this a hotel you will recommend to friends and family alike. When you make your next reservation, let the desk clerk know if you have any special needs for your stay, such as extra towels or feather pillows. We have an entire menu of special requests for our guests, to include feather free rooms for those with alergies, and handicapp accessible rooms with roll-in showers.
The next time you check in, ask for me and say hello. You can have a starbucks on the house in our bistro. We look forward to seeing you soon.
By the way, our great rates have not changed, even with all of the upgrades.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Wildwood Lodge
#9 of 48 in Des Moines
Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel
#15 of 22 in West Des Moines

Been to Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive? Share your experiences!