“Great restaurant”

Ranked #12 of 71 Restaurants in Clive
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stopped here after biking all day. It was advertised as serving small plates and some of the reviews mentioned that it was a bit expensive. I would have to disagree strongly. The food was great and fairly priced and, if anything, the plates were not that small. One could also get a flight of wine-three glasses for only 8 dollars-and they had a great selection. We pass through Des Moines about twice a year and will definitely stop in again.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We loved Dish when we lived in Des Moines (Clive, actually). We were definitely regulars. We moved away in 2009. Somewhere along the way, we had heard it closed.

We visited Des Moines and family a few months ago, my first time back with my husband since selling our house and moving to Scottsdale, Arizona. He looked it up online, insisted it was open, and decided we were driving there in a snowstorm.

Now, Scottsdale has some of the most ridiculously great dining you'll find anywhere. After 4 1/2 years here, I am spoiled silly.

To my delight, the menu hadn't changed at all at Dish (I think I even recognized some of the stains on mine.) And the food, the atmosphere and the whole experience was everything I remembered. Right down to their award-winning snowball, a drink no straight man should order, but my husband always does anyhow. (Hmmm.)

Anyhow, Dish was still very impressive, and such a nice surprise.

Enjoy Dish, Des Moines. It's a gem.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We arrived late in the evening in Clive, after a day of driving. We headed over to Trostel's, which was open to 10pm, for a quick dinner. We were very pleasantly surprised. The service was very friendly, and our small plates (lamb sliders and tuna) were excellent, as was the pizza. The only criticism I'd offer was that for the price charged, the amount of wine they poured in a glass was on the light side (and I say this as someone who eats in a lot of restaurants). I'd definitely recommend this place to other travelers staying in the Clive/West Des Moines area.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went on a Thursday night solo. Nice bar which is great when alone- lots of chairs, roomy plenty of space. Happy Hour 4-6 has pizza for $5. Think cracker crust.Good choices. Extensive wine list. I had a South American flight for $8- 3 2 oz samples Malbec, Carmenere and a Cab. Carmenere very good.

At 5:00 the tapas menu starts. They have a "Flight" (3-$15, 4-$17) of cheeses. Latin, American, Mediterranean choices everything from lamb, sliders tuna.. The barkeep suggested the duck quesadilla ($8) which I had heard about and so ordered. Very very good.

The place was filling rapidly while I was there, not surprising. I come to West Des Moines twice a year and will make it a habit to frequent this place. Give it a try.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We love the atmosphere and food here. It is all small amounts to be shared so you can try a number of great items on the menu. No place for children really as it is mostly young people there after they get off work. We are seniors however who enjoy that atmosphere once in a while.

Been to Trostel's Dish? Share your experiences!