“If you love Thai, COOL BASIL is the place to go!”
Review of Cool Basil

Cool Basil
Ranked #1 of 74 Restaurants in Clive
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Thai food is my favorite kind of food and over the years I have tried various Thai restaurants all over the midwest. Cool Basil is hands down, the best, most fresh and authentically prepared Thai food in Des Moines. The Thom Yum soup is to die for, as are every appetizer on the menu. The pad Thai and Prik King is wonderful and the sushi is great as well. They have a great selection of beer and YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN WINE! There is no corkage fee :) They have an adorable wine bar and a very fresh and comfortable dining area that is perfect for date night or family dinner! The Thai iced coffees are PERFECT and the dessert menu has never once been a disappointment. I have never left food reviews before, but I feel very strongly that after the wonderful food and service I've had at COOL BASIL I had to say something. I am surprised by the other comments saying they had a long wait time, I've ordered the food for delivery as well and the maximum wait time was an hour (not long to wait for the quality of food), I have also been there on busy friday and saturday nights and our food took the appropriate amount of time. Waiting has never been an issue for me here.

GO TO THIS RESTAURANT, you will not regret it!

1  Thank M D

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I love Thai food, and I feel a little deprived in the smaller Iowa town where I live. Cool Basil is a great fix when I find myself in Des Moines. The menu is large, and they have an ample selection of appetizers. I love the Pad See Ew. The ambiance is very nice as well, once you get inside from the weird strip mall.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Very, very ,very long wait. The food was very good however, I have now had better in the East village. The restaurants itself is not set up very well. It is very noisy, crowded seating, and always packed. You will have to wait about an hour to eat here on any given night. The Tom Yam was okay however, I would not get it again.. The red curry was watery and did not have a lot of heat like my hubby asked for. The appetizers were freshly prepared ( they have great fried spring rolls) and not from frozen. My dish Long Pick was very good, but still when I ask for a spice level of three out of five I expect to be sweating a little when I eat it. The sushi bar looked fantastic, but really should not be in a Thai restaurant. They try to do too much for the space they have. They really need a bigger, more intimate setting Now the down side. The service here is awful. My server had to leave to deliver food ( like in a car!) and then I waited a half and hour longer than my six friends did for their food. Nope won't be back

1  Thank dragonfeathr
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Some of the best thai in Des Moines but service, esspecially if ordering delivery, isn't very good. We have waited almost for 2 hours on a delivery before! Dining in is probably the way to go as we don't often have issues with the wait then.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Cool Basil is one of my favorite places to go around here. I'll admit, I haven't explored the menu as much as I should have (considering the amount of times I've gone), but the food I've had I can tell you has been wonderful.
One appetizer I normally get (unless I only have enough money to afford an entree) is the crispy pork pastry pockets. A little peanuty, the flavor of those little things are interesting, to say the least. My only complaint is that they're a little dry, but that is simply because I don't like the dipping sauce. Those I've been with who use the sauce say they're not really dry.
Another delicious thing is the Pad Thai. Let me say that if you don't like spicy things, don't be afraid to eat here because they offer all spice levels, including no spice, which is what I always get. The Pad Thai is always beautifully presented. The complement the spices in it, order it with some extra limes to squeeze over it (I usually add extra peanuts, too, but that's just me). The portions on the entrees at this place are normally enough for you to take half home for another meal, so the portions are a good value.
The food at Cool Basil is what keeps me coming back, but the service there has repeatedly been lacking. Sometimes it takes them far too long to get our drinks or take or orders, even if there's next to no customers. The service is my only complaint, but the delicious food keeps me coming back!

1  Thank darkserenity