All reviewssocial hourdes moinesmeatballsreal plateshappy hourclean roomsrefrigerator and microwavewould stay here againhot tubeasy accesslobby areacomfortable bedwafflesgreat place to staygreat roomfront desk clerkconvenient location
Reviewed March 3, 2014

First and foremost, this hotel is very clean, the staff is friendly, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was average. So, why only an average rating? Because my first night there the heat unit was not working properly. I wanted the fan to be constant due to traffic noise. Instead what I got was the whole unit noisily turning it's self on and off all night. After a poor night's sleep, during my morning ablutions, I noticed the shower curtain had a good size tear. Both the heating unit and curtain issues were reported to the front desk early in the morning. One of the staff mentioned something about a switch for the furnace in the reception area as well as having a good stock of replacement shower curtains in the store room. When I got back to my hotel room the heater issue had been fixed. However the shower curtain was never replaced during my stay of 3 days. One other issue, the group I was with was using the meeting room at the hotel. The heater for the room did not work. One of the staff brought in a small portable heater bit it was inadequate. I do not believe the room ever got above 67 degrees. The little things really do matter.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Front desk was awesome. They really work to ensure you have a great stay. I appreciate Cathy at the front desk! she is amazing every year. Chocolate chip cookies are the best around and the breakfast is awesome! When you need assistance, someone is always available right away! Great room, awesome overall experience!! Will continue to go back year after year!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our room was reasonably clean. The sofa was a little the worse for wear. If we intended to use the sofa bed, the room would have been entirely too small. The person at the desk at check in was courteous, but that bushy beard just doesn't make a very good first impression. That is just my opinion. The hotel had chocolate chip cookies at check in and they were very good. A nice touch. We could not get the Closed Captioning turned off on the TV set. Since we were already settled in, we decided we could live with it, rather than move to another room, or whatever it took to get it corrected. There was an odor of chlorine in the room, which I attributed to the pool, which was just down the hall. I could probably give a better review, but in the morning we noticed people walking dogs around the property. Shortly after that, there was a dog barking in the room next to us, probably while his owners were going to breakfast. Honestly, if I had known they were pet friendly, I might have at least requested a room as far as possible from the animals. It did affect my opinion of the hotel as a whole. I also have a pet peeve about towels. Hotels just do not give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to how many towels you might need. But and $100+ for a room, an extra towel or two couldn't break the bank. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this hotel, but I would do it with the caveat about pets.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
kaczusia, Owner at Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Margery, thank you very much for your review. We include the sofas in our single bed rooms to provide more comfortable seating for our guests but it also doubles up as a bed if the need for sleeping more people arises and all our double queen rooms are sold. Our business guests appreciate it and during high peak times quite a few families gladly take advantage of the sofa sleeper opening it up for the night and folding it up during daytime.
In regards to my receptionist I am very glad you found him courteous and professional. In my opinion my staff is my biggest asset at the hotel and we encourage them to take initiative and ownership of the customer service experience and do not restrict their appearance in order to reflect our tolerant work environment.
Lastly the pets. We do allow guests with dogs only to stay at our hotel, pointing out at check in that all pets need to be declared and cannot be left alone in the room, since sometimes, as you were unfortunate to find out, they feel anxious about being left alone in the room and bark for their owners. We enforce financial penalties if guests leave their pets unattended and leave the premises, and disclosures to that effect are spelled out at each guest registration. Unfortunately not every pet owner is responsible and have exaggerated opinions on their pets' good behavior...or they just don't care. This, however, is a small minority and I assure you that most pet owners are very caring and responsible and do not expose their pets and other guests to these situations.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Booked here on an Expedia hotel deal. A newer property, rooms were bright, fresh and well appointed,clean bathrooms, well stocked toiletries and towels. Beds and pillows were comfortable.Breakfast was ok. Location is central to all shopping and restaurants...great stay, would do it again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This hotel was very convenient for an overnight stay. It is easy to find, close to the Interstate and shopping. The morning desk person went out of her way to locate and provide maps to specific locations my wife was looking for. The room was very comfortable, with a good breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple