“Poor management” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Grandview, Missouri
“Poor management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked two rooms at this hotel three weeks in advance, paying in advance also. One of the rooms was supposed to be a 2-Queen room, and the other 1-King. There was a cancellation deadline of 4 pm the day before check-in. When we got there, they gave us two room keys, not mentioning anything had changed, but when we went up to our rooms, they were both 1-King rooms with "sofa sleepers" in them. When I went down to the clerk, he said that was what I had reserved, and they didn't have anything else, as they were full. He also told me there was no manager available, and gave me a number for the corporate office, which turned out to be closed. I was forced to accept the rooms assigned, even though I wasn't sure the sofa sleeper would even open due to being right up against the wall with the air conditioning unit. Well, it did open, barely, but was practically devoid of cushioning, seemed short for a "queen sleeper", and to top it off, the air was blowing directly on me all night. I finally got in touch with Best Western customer service, who found out that the hotel had changed the reservation the day before we arrived. Both the hotel staff and the customer service person kept emphasizing that I had booked it through a third-party, but I don't see how that was relevant, as the reservation was obviously correct when the hotel got it. Turns out they had switched rooms 25 minutes before the cancellation deadline. Hmm. After an extremely poor night's "rest", I continued on my way exhausted and sore from my stay at this hotel. Throughout this experience, the staff seemed not to care in the least about the situation. Upon returning home, I got an "apology" email from someone at the hotel, although he did not identify his status. In this email, he blamed the "third-party booking agent" for the problem. I replied to his email, stating that I knew from his staff and customer service that it was not the third-party, but rather his staff that caused the problem. I have not, as of this writing received a response to this.
As far as the hotel itself, it was nice enough, but the hallways and elevator lobbies were sauna-like in their temperature. The free breakfast was also nothing to write home about. Mass-produced Danish, postage stamp sized biscuits to go with their gravy, generic sweeteners, limited selections. On the whole, I would never step foot inside this hotel again. I have stayed in many lodgings up and down the spectrum, but have never been treated this way in any of them before.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
kaczusia, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest, when you choose to book your reservations through cheapdeals.com or similar parties it is perfectly fine and we welcome those reservations just like any other. The problem is that whenever a third party is involved the communication process between the service provider and the consumer is far more susceptible to misunderstandings and errors. For that reason most guests always call us to confirm their third party reservations and any inconsistencies can be corrected before the guest's arrival. In your case, although you are free to persist in your righteous indignation at our manipulation of your reservation, the reservation came through with a note "bed reserved", one was for a king and the other was for a double queen. We, it now is clear to the world, misunderstood that to mean "bed" not "beds" and gave you a king just like the other room you reserved, clearly the wrong choice it turns out. No other information was given by cheapdeals.com. When you arrived you chose to stay, using the sleeper in your room.
You are perfectly welcome to hold your opinion of my property and management, but short of displacing other guests I was not able to accommodate your two bed request that night.
In our era of virtual deals it sometimes is advisable to rely on actual real contact with the hotel to make sure that your virtual deal is what it truly was represented to you. You chose to rely on your virtual deal and when given the circumstances the hotel was not able to meet your intended choice, then you turn your wrath at the property, not your "virtual" service provider who conveniently was not available for comment or public scrutiny such as the one we are engaging in here, was it?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
West Jordan, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon for our one-night stay. The front desk clerk was extremely helpful, and recommended a nearby Mexican restaurant (great food, by the way).
Two queen beds that were very comfortable, excellent air conditioner, and an evening social hour that included free beer/wine/soft drinks. The breakfast was good, fairly typical of a Best Western. Didn't use the pool but the facility looked clean and inviting.
I'd stay again without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Denver, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel was clean, comfortable, and conveniently located within walking distance of restaurants and a gas station. Check in and out were flawless and the room was nice. The breakfast wasn't fabulous, but it was decent. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dunkirk, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family stayed here on our last day on the road from a trip to Yellowstone. We were just looking for the regular Best Western motel, but what we got was much more. Upon arriving, we were welcomed to the "social time", which included free beer, wine and hors d'oeuvres. Our room was well-appointed and had quality furnishings. The hotel was nice and quiet, even though it was totally booked for the night. Breakfast was good, with the added bonuses of omelets, cappuccino and a free USA Today paper.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kaczusia, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear thegoodguys, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at my property. We provide the social hour in order for our guests to get out of the rooms, socialize, play games and also find out a little bit about each other and about our area. It provides an enjoyable experience enriched by meeting fellow travelers. I hope to see you back next year.
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice freebie amenities and it was advertised as regularly $140 but was on sale for almost half that .. so it looked great on paper!!! When we arrived the Hotel had a distinct odor, the rooms were dated and we found (and got bit by) bedbugs!!! Yuck!!! Regularly $140??? who would pay that for that outdated dirty room??? Don't trust the marketing! not as advertised at all. Pay the extra few dollars and stay in a clean hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank sk8uwithme
Dear Guest. Since you chose to slander my property online you have to forgive me for choosing to defend myself with facts. When you made a reservation for your two rooms at my property you had selected a third party to conduct the transaction. That third party had booked two regular rooms at my property and we held the reservation until your arrival. When you arrived you requested a free upgrade to suites and when those were not available you were clearly not happy. Less than an hour after checking into the rooms you chose to leave my hotel claiming of having found bed bugs in the rooms. We promptly inspected the rooms and found that the beds were not even disturbed! Bedbugs would not be able to bite you during your brief stay in the hotel, they are nocturnal creatures active by night and dormant by day. They do not fly or jump at you so it would be impossible for them to hurt you during that time.
Upon your leaving we checked your room completely and we did not find any bedbugs. In fact your room was not even disturbed, beds, bathroom etc. We took it apart piece by piece and spent a lot of time and effort to prove to ourselves and the online community that your accusation was baseless and slanderous.
If you are not happy with your reservation or if a third party misrepresented what you were getting then we can gladly accommodate a change in the reservation in order to make it up, we will not, however, be blackmailed by such unsubstantiated and slanderous accusations so you can have your suites.
We hold our reputation dear and we hope that a fair representation of our services can be ascertained from truthful reviewers on this site.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night. Had 2 rooms. One room was a 2 queen standard and was just fine. The other was a 2 queen suite (room 203) and the air conditioning was not working. Asked the staff 2 times about any relief and finally got suggestion to try another hotel without a refund. Finally went out and bought our own window fan just to be comfortable. Everything else was great.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank luv2crop71
kaczusia, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear luv2crop71, I am sorry that during your stay you encountered the faulty air conditioner. That night we were completely sold out and unable to move you to another room. We have since replaced the unit and it is now operating faultlessly.
Laguna Woods, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The price was so right, how can you not stay there?

The staff, especially Cathy, who goes the extra mile for the guest, are very friendly. Casey's knowledge of the area is superb! He can tell you where to find the best burger.

There are many amenities at this hotel; automatic doors, pool, hot tub, free hot breakfast; manager's reception which consists of beer, wine, chips/dip, Sarpino's Pizza, Pepsi products, chocolate chip, and sugar cookies. It's a great experience all around.

Room Tip: Corner suite looks over woods.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kaczusia, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for those kind words of praise for my staff, your review will reward my employees with recognition of their efforts in making every stay the best that it can be.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
#10 of 49 in Des Moines
La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive
Sterling Hotel and Suites

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Des Moines West Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!