“Very nice, staff wonderful and pet friendly!”

Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had been traveling for 10 days and this was our last overnight, was greeted by Steve, a very friendly front desk person! He gave us a great place for dinner and a cold beer. Rooms were nice, big and beds comfy. Nice grass area for dogs. Breakfast was good also, would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MichiganFishlady

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I looked a little while trying to find a hotel on trip advisor. I trust the information that is posted because nine times out of ten the reviews are spot on.

I wanted to find a hotel for one night in either West Des Moines/Clive or surrounding areas. I found the reviews for this hotel. I have not been to a Best Western for a long time because they have usually been a disappointment.

My husband and I decided after the comments on trip advisor we would give them another chance. We received the best rate from the Best Western web site. My husband and I spent one night there.

We were in room number 108-A. I was pleasantly surprised by the room. Everything looked fresh and new. The glasses by the ice bucket were very good quality.

I usually have problems with my allergies when I am at a hotel. My only reasoning for this is due to the fact that the filter for the air conditioner/heating unit may need cleaned. This was NOT the case at BWP. I did not have any trouble. This made it very enjoyable. We will be back very soon.

They have free parking, and free wireless internet. It does have a pool and an exercise room. We did not use either one.

We did not make it until 9:30-9:45 am to breakfast. The items were a little limited at that point. This is our fault because we waited until the last minute. We were asked if we wanted anything. We just asked for apple juice do to the fact it was empty. I had oatmeal, a glass of apple juice, fruit and a croissant. My husband had a waffle, apple juice, and a bowl of cereal. There were pasties, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, bagels and slices of bread.

We were pleasantly surprised by this Best Western and will in the future consider other Best Western Hotels.

Room Tip: First floor room 108-A
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! This small property felt new, clean, and "homey". We received a very affordable rate that included a spacious, well-appointed room that was almost spotless, and I am very picky. The complimentary breakfast was well stocked and exceeded our expectations. Salt water indoor pool and hot tub also very clean. Front desk staff not only efficient, but went out of their way to be pleasant and personable. My only regret was that we couldn't stay more than one night....but we will definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank S S
Reviewed February 2, 2012

A group of 16 of us traveled from Boston to Des Moines and we stayed at this hotel. I was extremely pleased with the service. The hotel staff was very accommodating to our whole group, even weeks before we arrived there. The manager was very helpful, and always very eager to help us out. While we worked out of the conference room there until the early hours of the morning, the staff was kind enough to bake fresh cookies for us every day. There is complimentary hot breakfast service every morning, and the hotel is very clean. I highly recommend this hotel to any one traveling to the Des Moines area. The hotel is also located very close to downtown area, about 20 minutes out so it's very convenient.

Room Tip: I stayed in a queen suite which had 2 queen beds and a pullout couch. It was very spacious and had a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Satenik K
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The owner and staff at this hotel did everything they could to ensure a great stay. I was in Iowa covering the Caucuses with 15 other news personnel. Everyone did their best to accommodate our unique needs and erratic schedule. Late night editing sessions were made less stressful with home-baked cookies and coffee. Every staffer went the extra mile to give us everything we needed! If you're looking for a place to stay near Des Moines, I would definitely recommend this Best Western in Clive!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine R
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Newly remodeled, room was very nice, breakfast was better than most with adequate choices. Pleasantly surprised at check in to be upgraded because what we had asked for was not available on the first floor, but was available with an upgrade. Hotel was quiet, open space to exercise pets and within walking distance to a Cracker Barrel restaurant. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bissbandit
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our group loved the hotel and its owner and staff! Stay here!! We had 16 television news staffers stay at the hotel for 10 days to cover the Iowa Caucuses. The owner Artur and his staff were incredible. They made many accommodations for us. He gave us the large conference room to use. The hotel is clean and safe. The free breakfasts were terrific. A couple of times some staffers were still working at 4 am when the overnight person was setting up for breakfast. He let them eat then even though the breakfast didn't start officially for 2 hours. There are free snacks, pizza, soda, beer, and wine 3 nights. Freshly baked cookies are served every afternoon. When we missed breakfast the day after the Caucuses, the owner made them all day for us and the night desk person did the same all night. The coffee never stopped. The desk personnel was extremely friendly and helpful. The hot tub helped staffers' backs feel better. We felt it was our home away from home. The location was also great since we could easily get on the highway and go wherever we needed. There are many inexpensive places to eat nearby including Cracker Barrell and Kwik Trip. There is a great supermarket called the HyVee and a mall nearby. The rooms were excellent. They had microwaves and refrigerators. The beds were very comfortable. They were clean. The price was very affordable. You got more than your money's worth. The parking was free. It is a hidden gem.

Room Tip: The suites are terrific.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Wildwood Lodge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Hotel Renovo
Hotel Renovo
#3 of 11 in Urbandale

Been to Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!