“Well deserved Best Western "Plus" level”

Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Milwaukee
“Well deserved Best Western "Plus" level”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is a newer, nicely decorated, very clean motel with helpful, friendly staff. The room was large with a sofa sleeper, king bed and refrigerator - we appreciated the nice touches of china coffee cups and 12 oz. glass drinkware, The very reasonable rate included a manager's reception with popcorn, cookies, chips and dip, Panera bread, dipping oil and cheese spread in addtion to wine and beer ............and a more than adequate breakfast in the morning. The pool was large - perfect size and temperature for swimming laps.
Almost perfect but could use more soundproofing between rooms and a guest laundry would be nice. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Artur G, Manager at Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear gmadiane, thank you very much for your nice review. As you noted we are the new BEST WESTERN PLUS in line with Best Western's policy of using descriptors to designate the type of properties within the system. Thank you for noticing all our little touches that we added to make your stay more enjoyable and memorable and not just "forgotten and disposable".
We conduct the Managers reception in order to create a warm atmosphere for our guests where they can congregate, interact, have wine, beer and French bread and pizzas, all on the house!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Le Sueur
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed at the Best Western Inn in Clive, IA which is a suburb of Des Moines, due its proximity to all of the things we wanted to do, the state fair, friends and malls. We had reserved a suite, which looked nice. That night as we looked for blankets and pillows for the pull out bed, we couldn't find any, so we called the front desk and asked for some to be brought up to our room, the night clerk said they couldn't do that, but if we wanted to come down, they could get us some, no problem, we went to them.
Next morning, breakfast was disappointing, they only had one waffle machine and it was right in the middle of the other breakfast food, so if you we trying to get juice, or cereal you were in everyone's way. There was no milk for the cereal, so we asked, come to find out, it was out, but it was in containers that looked like coffee containers and they weren't labeled. The breakfast menu was small biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, 3 cereals and one waffle machine, but the did have a nice variety of juice, coffee and teas.
We left our hotel at 11 morning to attend the fair, we came back to the hotel at 4:30 and our room was still not cleaned and had no clean towels. (Even though the maids were in the next room when we left at 11.) My husband called the front desk to ask if we had to request to have our room clean. The response was, " They are still cleaning, OK?"
I waited while my husband and son went to the pool. The maid did show up, dropped off some hand towels, she received a phone call and asked me if it would be ok to come back in a little bit because there were some people on the 3rd floor who wanted their room cleaned right now. I said that would be fine. She again came back about 20 minutes later, came inside the room and asked if I still wanted my room clean, I responded yes, and she said she couldn't clean it while so many people were in the room (it was my husband, my son and myself) not wanting miss out on this opportunity, my husband said, that he would
change out of his trunks and head to the lobby, so our room could be cleaned. After another 20 minutes, we returned to the room and it still wasn't clean and no new towels, A few minutes later, we decided to leave for dinner, and we made a point to stop by the front desk to let them know that we were out of the room and that it still needed to be cleaned. Their response was, "Oh, I will check to see if any of the maids are still here."
When we came back from dinner no clean room or towels, so we again had to go to the front desk for towels. I asked if I could talk with a manager and I was told the manager was out of state. I went through the situation with the clerk and they said that he could only communicate with 2 of his maids due to the language barrier, but they had our problem documented.
I explained how frustrating this was as a customer because I felt that I was trying to help them out and be patient about the room, but in return I never got help from them. I said that felt like they were more like the customer and that I was working for them They just said they were sorry and that there was nothing they could do.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Hynes57LeSueur_Mn
Dear Hynes57LeSueur_Mn, we are sorry that you experienced such problems with our housekeeping service on the one day over your multiple day, multiple room stay at our hotel.
As you noted we did upgrade you to a suite for half the price just to accommodate your needs and during your stay in the middle of the State Fair you experienced a high volume of customer traffic during our breakfast and in the hotel in general. During the fair a lot of our guests request early housekeeping service as well as many would like to check in early making it very difficult to accommodate everyone because of the constantly changing room cleaning assignments. In your case when the maid did come to service your room you were not ready for her ( occupying the room ) and our policy states that for her and your safety cleaning cannot be performed with the guests present in the room. Our mistake was that because of miscommunication with our staff we did not follow up and clean the room after you left. I apologize for that. We did get you the towels and other goods you requested over the front desk but we did miss making your beds and cleaning the room that day.
We value our staff highly and appreciate their efforts in being able to accommodate these high demand times such as they one you experienced. It was unfortunate for both that the fault occurred and your room was missed.
In regards to our breakfast I assure you that our limited service hotel offers a far wider variety of items that is required and offered by my competition. In fact you mention how popular the breakfast was, you had to wait your turn to get to the items and appliances. Unfortunately with a complimentary breakfast we cannot offer table service and customers have to wait their turn to use the appliances.
Lastly I would like to point out that we honored your company affiliation low business rate during your multi room, multi day stay during our busiest time of the year offering you superior value for the money, even if the stay was clearly not business related. That is our policy
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Only stayed one night, but thankfully it was a Wednesday night. Free pizza, chips and salsa, and beer/pop. Supper was taken care of that night. Rooms were a tad small, but very clean. Nice looking pool and hot tub also.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Large, clean room. Great jacuzzi. Comfortable bed. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: AAA rate was the best. One we could find
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Nice place, clean, huge back lot for pets to run and lots of restaurants nearby. Quiet rooms, no complaints. Would stay here again for sure. Average b-fast, nothing special.

• Stayed August 2010
Independence, Missouri
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We were horrifed by this hotel. The pet room wreaked of urine and feces. It was like it had never been clean. My mother stayed in this room and we literally could not enter the room because it made us so sick. Our non smoking room wreaked of smoke. All of the plants on the property were dead! There are stains going down the wall in the hallways, stains on the walls in the rooms. Carpets are filthy. We requested additional blankets, and they had holes in them. They only gave us two towels for a room booked for four. It looks like a double wide in the rooms. This is supposed to be a Best Western Plus. If this is a plus, we will never stay at a Best Western again!

Room Tip: Bring Febreeze!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank mckapke
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here our first night en route to Yellowstone NP after driving about 500 miles. The room was clean and everything was in order. It just was not exceptionally comfortable. Everything seemed old and needed updating. The staff were friendly and efficient, and breakfast was fine. It's a good place to stay, but not exceptional. Lots of choices in the area, and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Hampton Inn Des Moines-West
Hampton Inn Des Moines-West
#2 of 22 in West Des Moines
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Been to Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!