“Casual french bistro”

Table 128 Bistro & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Table 128 Bistro & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Clive
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Casual french bistro”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Table 128 is a small, casual french style bistro with a nice selection of wine; many of which are poured by the glass. The menu is not large, but sufficient enough to find several appealing choices. There are always local favorites on the menu, as well as daily specials, focusing on local, fresh ingredients. This being Iowa, there is a wide variety of locally produced foods.The service has always been friendly yet efficient, which adds to the dining experience. Holidays give the chef a chance to offer special, interesting meals. New Year's Eve and Valentine's day offered excellent selections of salmon, duck, pork, and beef. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed both events. I was sorry to have missed the recent dinner, with each course being paired with a fine scotch. Yes, not wine, but scotch.

Chicago, Illinois
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is hands down the best restaurant in Des Moines right now. Having moved away to New York and Chicago, I've been affording the opportunity to grow accustomed to great meals while dining out. When returning home for a visit we were shocked that the best meal we've had this year came from Table 128. The food, service and even atmosphere were great. I strongly encourage you to get the beet salad and fish entree. Our waitress was able to recommend a great wine pairing for my fish. Additionally, the bread pudding with Kahlua was an amazing dessert. I strongly recommend making this a restaurant you frequent in Des Moines!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Nicole S
Ames, Iowa
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Visited here with 3 friends and had a wonderful dining experience on a winter's evening. As soon as we stepped inside, we could smell some wonderful aromas in the air. The dinner was simply excellent.

One of the owners came by and we chatted for a bit -- they seemed truly interested in providing an excellent dining experience, and it showed. Service was fine.

Don't let the strip mall locale fool you -- it is a wonderful place to eat. We'll be back!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Dreambob
Johnston, Iowa
“Not your average strip mall restaurant”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have eaten here twice (once for lunch and once for dinner) but this review is based on our dinner experience last week. My husband and I ate here on a Friday at 6:00. It's your typical strip mall on the outside, but once inside, the feeling is totally different. Dim lighting and very cozy. Our server was very attentive, friendly, and efficient. She had good suggestions and stopped my husband as he was placing his beer order saying that she thought they were out of the beer he wanted. She disappeared to the bar and confirmed they were out, but brought back two others for him to check out that were similar. They have a nice craft beer selection, and also wines and cocktails.

We started with the bread appetizer, which was an assortment of three breads with honey butter. My husband had the heirloom chicken which was served with root vegetables and chili mac and cheese. We both loved the mac and cheese, and the chicken was really good. I had the beef tenderloin, and it was perfectly cooked. We didn't have dessert, but saw someone else's and it looked quite good.

My only criticism, and this is a small thing, is that they really should close the blinds all the way in the front windows in the evenings, as cars pulling in/out of the spots outside had their headlights shining through the cozy, dim space and it was a little annoying.

We will definitely be going back!

Ankeny, Iowa
“Cozy Romantic Atmosphere”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My fiance chose this restaurant for valentines day dinner (the day before). Neither of us have tried this but he chose Table 128 for the reviews. We had a reservation but one was not needed... when we walked in the restaurant was maybe half full but felt perfect. The smaller dining area gives the perfect romantic vibe and was very cozy.

Waitress was amazing (she gave us awesome recommendations!) Since the menu for valentines day was only for the weekend its hard to give recommendations -- but one thing we did try -- the UGLY DONUTS are a must. The waitress said they are on their every day menu. They were so good we almost got another order!

Food portions were large, desert was perfect to split between the two of us. Overall I highly recommend Table 128