“Nice "Splurge" Lunch Spot”

Table 128 Bistro & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Table 128 Bistro & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Clive
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Des Moines, Iowa
“Nice "Splurge" Lunch Spot”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Normally we wouldn't spend $30 plus tip for the two of us for lunch, but this was a nice place to splurge a little to enjoy better quality food and a pleasing atmosphere. It's not a very big place and there are a lot of hard surfaces (concrete floor), so because it was busy it was a little bit loud, but not noisy enough that we had trouble talking.

I appreciated the dish-towel napkins and elegant water bottles on each table - nice touch. And the food was delicious. Definitely try the "ugly donuts" appetizer/small plate, which were like fried donut holes only made out of herb bread (I think) infused with a light cheese and dusted with grated parmesan to be dipped in a light marina sauce. Yum. They are pretty filling, though, so be careful you don't spoil your main dish. I had to limit myself to two of them.

My husband and I both ordered burgers with the kale caesar salad --- his the traditional and mine was the Maytag bleu cheese with carmalized onions. The patty was cooked perfectly to order, and every bite seemed to melt in my mouth. VERY good. He said his traditional cheese burger with white onion, tomato slice and lettuce was delicious as well.

We both agreed that we'd like to try this place for dinner soon. Their drink menu and the wines displayed on the shelves looked interesting.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Dessert alone is worth going”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was sad that Tartine was no more, but Table 128 Bistro is a more than worthy replacement. I went for lunch and had their special—an omelette. Sounds simple, but was exceptionally prepared. A house salad on the side was fine. The real star of the meal was the dessert. A friend and I split the panna cotta and the chocolate caramel tart with sea salt—and edible gold! The panna cotta, which was topped with blueberries, was a nice light alternative to the rich bites from the tart. Both amazing on their own—but wow—the tart! Do yourself a favor and try it!

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great New Restaurant in the Burbs”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had dinner here on a Friday night and liked it so much we went back this Friday. It's nice that you can choose inside or outside seating. You have to remember that outside seating here means you don't have much of a view other than the parking lot but that is true of most places in the Des Moines area. Wine list is great and both bottles we have tried in the "leap of faith" category made us happy; and the prices are oh so reasonable. We wouldn't normally do homemade chips and dip as an appetizer but seeing as we had just done an ambitious bike ride felt we deserved it and we were not disappointed. My husband loved the kale salad and his main chicken dish. Being a vegetarian, I wanted to try the grains and vege dish but they were out. No worries, they let me order the veggie burger. At our first visit the veggie burger was on the menu and is hands down the best veggie burger I have eaten. On the second visit, no longer on the menu but let me order it again. Unfortunately we were too full both times to try dessert. So, the plan for next time is to do salads, the ugly donuts (I can't wait to try these) and dessert! Looks like we will be regulars here.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Fresh, Local, Inspired, Great Food and Drinks”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a very pleasant experience checking out the newly opened place, in the space previously occupied by Tartine. The updated decor was very much appreciated, no more tin roof overhanging the kitchen area from the rib shack that first occupied the space.

From the details on each plate to the interesting wine list, you could tell that someone is in charge who both cares about details and wants to have fun in life! I love the "leap of faith" sections on the wine list...expand your horizons and try something new! We had a great time exploring. We started with the "Ugly Doughnuts"...how could you not be curious? Basically little balls of dough dusted in parmesan that you dip in red sauce, very simple. The Rosemary Potato Soup was very flavorful and rustic in a good way, tasting of skin on roasted potatoes and of course rosemary...we both loved this twist! I was vegetable hungry, so chose the "3 Grains 6 Veg" dish which was amazingly rich and very filling. It was a mixture of 3 cooked grains in the bottom of a dish, with lovely braised vegetables on top and the richest vegetable broth I've ever experienced completing the presentation. YUM! The vegetables change according to what's in season, so I'm anxious to go back and try it again. My spouse really enjoyed the Trout Almandine, which was a stunning whole fish presentation. Part way into it, I heard an exclamation of "it's been filleted already, sweet!" It's great to have a chef that knows how to properly present an item to just put the whole experience over the top! Well, at this point we knew we had to try dessert, and everything sounded good. My spouse settled on the Key Lime Tart in a Jar and I barely got a taste from the not really into sweets person. It was amazing fresh and light, which made it a great finish to the meal on a warm evening. I was pulled to the Chocolate Caramel Tart with Sea Salt, which was oh so rich and yummy...to the point that much of it had to go home, but it was still very good the next afternoon with coffee. We definitely will be back!

• Visited May 2013