“Fresh Mexican Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Great service, good food and reasonably priced with a nice atmosphere

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I'm a big fan of chips and salsa - I'll tend to scarf down more than I probably should of even mediocre stuff - but I can't recall having chips and salsa as bad as I have this most recent visit to Monterrey. Maybe it was an anomaly, since I've been there several times and never noticed this before. But the rest of the experience was only average and there are far better comparable restaurants in Des Moines, so I doubt I'll be back.

So what was so bad about these? Put simply, the chips were grossly greasy, and the salsa was blandly watery. It makes me laugh to see the comment that the salsa is so good you could eat it with a spoon; based on what I received you'd pretty much have to. Digging around in that watery sauce to find a few rogue chunks of tomato or pepper with a chip sure didn't work too well. But I think the chips were even worse - they were a greasy, unseasoned variety that left an unpleasant feeling in my stomach through the rest of the meal.

Which was unfortunate, because my entree wasn't too bad. I opted for enchiladas rancheras, which ended up being a trio of corn tortillas filled with gooey cheese and topped with shredded pork and a somewhat flavorful (though not spicy at all) red sauce. It was reasonably satisfying, though not outstanding, and tainted by my chip-induced queasiness. I spent quite a bit of time scouring the menu for something that wasn't your typical beef-and-red-sauce fare, and felt like I had a harder time finding a winner than I usually do. There was nothing bad about the enchiladas, I just think I've found better options at other comparable restaurants in Des Moines.

I kind of hold El Aguila Real as the best so far of the Mexican restaurants I've tried in the area, so they're my point of comparison whenever I try another place. Although the main dish at Monterrey wasn't too bad, across the board - chips/salsa, entree, sides, atmosphere, everything has been better at El Aguila. I hope my chip and salsa experience was a fluke, cuz I felt pretty lousy after dinner, but regardless, there was nothing else here to incite me to come back. I don't think I will.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Monterrey is a place where I and my boyfriend and I have been going on five years. I personally have found no better Mexican food, and for him it's in the top five (if my memory serves correctly). There prices have gone up a bit in recent times, but we still go back because it's one of our favorite places.
When we are seated, the service is always immediate. We are given complimentary chips which are very fresh (and not really salted, which is nice)... you can tell they didn't come from a bag. The chips are served with homemade salsa, which is delicious.
The food itself is tasty, as well. Their tacos are amazing, a must-have, and so is the rice.
I normally order a beef enchilada with two sides of rice and a taco. The sauces of many of their dishes and especially their rice is very good with limes squeezed over them, as it just enhances the flavor, so be sure to ask for some limes.
The staff has always been very friendly with us, and their has been little change in them over the years.
Point being, their food is delicious, their chips fresh, their taco shells fresh, and you should go there is you like Mexican food!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Good hearty Mexican food, friendly attentive staff. Went with 2 co workers, I shared the fajitas for two which was delicious and more than two hungry guys could finish. Other co worker is vegetarian and thought their selections were very good. Staff was there when you needed them to be and kept drinks filled and plates removed, all very professionally. Three of us split five margaritas and the bill at $17 each. Pretty good value!

Reviewed February 25, 2011

When you walk in you can smell the gentle scent of CLEAN. You are immediately greeted and seated. As soon as you are seated, while the first guy asks you if you would like something to drink, there is someone behind him bringing awesome chips and salsa. The salsa is so good I could eat it with a spoon! The chips are fresh, hot, and unsalted. A welcomed thing since the salsa is so good! The food is also excellent, portions are really good sized, and everything tastes amazing! If you haven't tried it, you are missing out!