“Great food and better service”

Cosi Cucina Italian Grill
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in Clive
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2 blocks south of Hickman Rd
Description: (515) 278-8148
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Cosi Cucina is a local favorite that has undergone some great improvements over the past few years. Their menu is expanded and more interesting than the common Des Moines Italian-American restaurants. Eg, snapper and beurre blanc with risotto. They have a good wine list and pay attention to details - like the fresh bread, and quality balsamic vinegar. Our server, Rick, was great!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The food was great. Started with caprise; the fresh mozzerilla was firm and creamy. The bread rolls were light and tasty. I had a chicken, sudried tomatos and penne pasta. My wife had the lobster and bowtie pasta. The only miss was the apple cake, it was recommened by my server. Ive been going here since it's opened, one bad apple will not prevent me from returning.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Someone in our group thought it would be a great idea to bring our own wine. So after calling in and finding out that there was no corkage fee, they decided to bring in their own bottles. Turns out the information was wrong and they charged, $10.00 per bottle!!! My suggestion was to turn around and leave, but the others still wanted to stay. As a general rule of thumb, if it starts poorly, just getup and go, it won't get any better.

As you read through other reviews you will find that Cosi Cucina has a following. Those people will argue about its greatness, no matter what. Well, here is the plain truth. The restaurant is not clean. The dated ceilings, floors and bathroom vanities will prove that quickly. When the bottom of the vanities are falling apart, swollen to 3 times their original size from being mopped, it's time for a facelift. The food isn't great. The sauce tasted like it came from a jar. The roasted chicken were actually thin overcooked slices of dry chicken. When the waiter drops part of your food on the table and puts it back into the dish with his hands, have more wine, dull the senses, try not to think about it or what might be going on in the kitchen when no one is watching.

One of us ordered their Pork Marsala which comes with pork medallions. Pork medallions are awesome and you can get them cooked medium. These arrived flat, almost see-through. For a 'quality' restaurant, they just kept falling short.

So when you get that feeling right at the beginning that it's not going to go well, trust your instincts. If you are a regular, please keep enjoying. If you are not, I think they are an acquired taste that I simply do not want to acquire.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to try this place out because we had heard that it was great from his mom and stepdad. Well, it wasn't quite the experience we thought it would be. It was probably a lot to do with the service, to be honest. It is hard to enjoy a meal out when we don't know the servers name, and he didn't talk to us at all besides the basic ordering of food. The food was okay, but nothing spectacular. Didn't have cheesecake that night, so we ended up heading over to Jordan Creek for a slice at the Cheesecake Factory. Might give it another chance, but that night didn't really impress me.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I love Cosi Cucina. I will admit that I don't stray from my favorite dish, which is the potato ravioli. It is mashed potato filled ravioli in a smoky sauce with pieces of pork, onion, and bacon. My husband has had the calzone (it is wood fire cooked so I would check to make sure the oven has been started first) and the Pork Marsala. We have had the stuffed mushroom caps as an appetizer and they are very rich. We have had the hot apple pie dessert a couple of times and it is perfect to share. The service is always excellent, we have never had to wait for a table or drinks and the presentation of the food is wonderful as well. A perfect spot for a special occasion.