“Completely rude and inappropriate service!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of John & Nick's Prime Rib & Steakhouse

John & Nick's Prime Rib & Steakhouse
Ranked #14 of 70 Restaurants in Clive
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Description: John Jaeger opened John & Nick's Steak & Prime Rib, in Clive. Enjoy John & Nick's famous salad bar, bigger and better with over 60 fresh and homemade items, and hand cut Black Angus, USDA Choice steaks, aged 21 days for maximum taste and tenderness. Enjoy an amazing selection of incredible seafood, chops, pasta and John's specialty Prime Rib, USDA Choice rib eye, slow roasted and carved to order, plus many other delicious menu items. John's father, Ron Jaeger, opened a restaurant on the Northeast side of Des Moines in 1978. For over thirty years, it featured prime rib and a salad bar offering thirty items. John was raised in the family business, working under his father's direction. After Ron's passing, John successfully managed the family restaurant, for over six years, completing a major renovation and creating a dramatic increase in business. In 2009, John opened John & Nicks Steak & Prime Rib, in Clive, with the intention of passing this family business down to his son, Nick. In 2013, John & Nicks was a finalist in the Des Moines CityView Best of and Ultimate Steak Challenge contests. In 2014, John & Nicks won four categories of CityView's Best of including Best Steakhouse, Local Family Restaurant, Salad Bar, and Best Local Chef - John Jaeger. In 2014, the DSM Register Datebook reviewed John & Nicks with a Highly Recommended rating.
Waukee, IA
“Completely rude and inappropriate service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

We have been here before, with great food, haven't had 'great' service for about a year. Tonight was surreal! 1. We were told our wait would be 35 min - seated at 1 hour, 15 min. 2. Hair in the salad bar 3. Ordered garlic mashed, were just brought baked potatoes, told they were out of the other, and 'oh, do want something different?' 4. Steak ordered Med well, FIRST time came back rare, SECOND time med rare; asked for Mgr at this point. Mgr suggested she buy us dessert (as our table mates are sitting there with a huge raw steak - no meal yet except salad bar), we explained we didn't want dessert, she said 'well you can take it home'. Asked her to please remedy the bill instead, she removed an amount (she determined) for the steak, left salad bar 'portions', when we finally got the bill we called her back, explained that this was our table mate's first visit to the restaurant, they really didn't think it was appropriate to pay for the salad 'portion' of the steak meal, since they still HADN'T gotten a meal (2 1/2 hours into this). Mgr argued with us for a few minutes and said 'fine then, if you feel that way then I'll just credit your meals' - no apologies whatsoever (there were 4 of us, 2 meals were fine (except for 1 side) we paid those. The meals in question were 1 steak dinner being shared and an extra salad bar.) We left - letting the waitress know on our way out that in no way were we upset with her service. Walked out, and we 2 ladies of the group decided to go back in and ask for the owner. Politely asked a waitress and the bartender if we could speak with him, the (same) Mgr (Anita?) came out to us and told us that HE said he was too busy to speak with us, he had talked with her about the situation and wanted us to leave the premises immediately?! Talk about shocking! We both explained we had never received this kind of service or treatment and had both extensive service experience, that she didn't need to be so rude to us. She told us WE were the ones being rude and we had to leave. Fyi - we were drinking water and Pepsi, and our group consisted of a pastor, his wife, an insurance salesman and city councilperson. NEVER - have I even come close to this kind of an experience, still in disbelief. But you can bet I will let everyone know about it.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank brianshellyh

Des Moines, Iowa
“We had such high hopes......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Such a beautiful place tucked into a building that also houses a car repair center! With decor that is remnants of an earlier restaurant there, we had high hopes that the excellent food the previous place had served may also be in evidence at John and Nick's.

Our hopes were soon dashed. This food isn't even close. Sure it has a mammoth salad bar with a lots variety: some fresh, some not at all and some that should have been replaced long, long before we got there.

And dinner is served with a freshly baked mini-loaf of bread that's served with little foil-wrapped pats of butter that were a melty mess.

The entrees. My partner had fried shrimp----the flattened-into-circles-like-they-had-been-run-over-by-a-truck-and-really-dry kind. Now if these didn't come right of a box in the freezer it'd be a total surprise. Even if they didn't, which seems highly unlikely, serving these at a place that looks this nice and that price (almost $18), is shameful.

I had a rib-eye steak---which seemed like a hunk of meat freshly cut off a prime rib roast without being aged, it simply wasn't firm like a steak. Cooked fine but blah tasting. It came with a foil-wrapped baked potato. And the salad bar. Big deal. A vegetable side would have been nice.

Our friend had a steak with bacon-wrapped scallops. The steak was okay he said. The scallops varying in size from medium to small were cooked fine but the bacon wrapping was flaccid. Crisped up it would have been fine and the scallops well worth the money. It wasn’t and they weren’t.

And maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine. But something about staff members rolling silverware into napkins in full view of customers seems pretty tacky. Especially in a classy-looking place like this. Especially in the first booth as you enter the dining room.

Despite lackluster food, the service was excellent: very helpful, attentive and unobtrusive. Is good service enough to get us to go back? Doubt it. Sigh......we had such high hopes.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 1cutekid
Des Moines, Iowa
“Did not live up to my expectaions”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

With all the hype and amazing things I have heard about John and Nicks I was very excited to give it a try! But I was saddened that my experience here was not a good one. The Salad Bar was BIG with lots of variety and probably the only highlight of the dinner. We had 4 dirty pieces of silverware on our table, & one dirty plate. I orded an ice tea with a lime and got a BROWN lime and the waitress said "oh its a lime they just came in like that" I was disgusted and took it off my glass. I had Walyee with I though was ok but the garlic mashed potaties were like paste and I couldnt even eat them (and I LOVE garlic mashed) My husbands Prime rib was ok - but he commented it was the worst one he ever had here (and he frequently eats here with business associates) the other gentlemen we were with said it was just ok. Our Server was not attentive and we had to wait a LONG time with empty glasses. For the price of the meal we were very disapointed. I for one will not go back.

• Visited January 2012