“We had such high hopes......”

John & Nick's Prime Rib & Steakhouse
Ranked #11 of 74 Restaurants in Clive
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: John Jaeger opened John & Nick's Steak & Prime Rib, in Clive. Enjoy John & Nick's famous salad bar, bigger and better with over 60 fresh and homemade items, and hand cut Black Angus, USDA Choice steaks, aged 21 days for maximum taste and tenderness. Enjoy an amazing selection of incredible seafood, chops, pasta and John's specialty Prime Rib, USDA Choice rib eye, slow roasted and carved to order, plus many other delicious menu items. John's father, Ron Jaeger, opened a restaurant on the Northeast side of Des Moines in 1978. For over thirty years, it featured prime rib and a salad bar offering thirty items. John was raised in the family business, working under his father's direction. After Ron's passing, John successfully managed the family restaurant, for over six years, completing a major renovation and creating a dramatic increase in business. In 2009, John opened John & Nicks Steak & Prime Rib, in Clive, with the intention of passing this family business down to his son, Nick. In 2013, John & Nicks was a finalist in the Des Moines CityView Best of and Ultimate Steak Challenge contests. In 2014, John & Nicks won four categories of CityView's Best of including Best Steakhouse, Local Family Restaurant, Salad Bar, and Best Local Chef - John Jaeger. In 2014, the DSM Register Datebook reviewed John & Nicks with a Highly Recommended rating.
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Such a beautiful place tucked into a building that also houses a car repair center! With decor that is remnants of an earlier restaurant there, we had high hopes that the excellent food the previous place had served may also be in evidence at John and Nick's.

Our hopes were soon dashed. This food isn't even close. Sure it has a mammoth salad bar with a lots variety: some fresh, some not at all and some that should have been replaced long, long before we got there.

And dinner is served with a freshly baked mini-loaf of bread that's served with little foil-wrapped pats of butter that were a melty mess.

The entrees. My partner had fried shrimp----the flattened-into-circles-like-they-had-been-run-over-by-a-truck-and-really-dry kind. Now if these didn't come right of a box in the freezer it'd be a total surprise. Even if they didn't, which seems highly unlikely, serving these at a place that looks this nice and that price (almost $18), is shameful.

I had a rib-eye steak---which seemed like a hunk of meat freshly cut off a prime rib roast without being aged, it simply wasn't firm like a steak. Cooked fine but blah tasting. It came with a foil-wrapped baked potato. And the salad bar. Big deal. A vegetable side would have been nice.

Our friend had a steak with bacon-wrapped scallops. The steak was okay he said. The scallops varying in size from medium to small were cooked fine but the bacon wrapping was flaccid. Crisped up it would have been fine and the scallops well worth the money. It wasn’t and they weren’t.

And maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine. But something about staff members rolling silverware into napkins in full view of customers seems pretty tacky. Especially in a classy-looking place like this. Especially in the first booth as you enter the dining room.

Despite lackluster food, the service was excellent: very helpful, attentive and unobtrusive. Is good service enough to get us to go back? Doubt it. Sigh......we had such high hopes.

4  Thank 1cutekid

Reviewed February 15, 2012

With all the hype and amazing things I have heard about John and Nicks I was very excited to give it a try! But I was saddened that my experience here was not a good one. The Salad Bar was BIG with lots of variety and probably the only highlight of the dinner. We had 4 dirty pieces of silverware on our table, & one dirty plate. I orded an ice tea with a lime and got a BROWN lime and the waitress said "oh its a lime they just came in like that" I was disgusted and took it off my glass. I had Walyee with I though was ok but the garlic mashed potaties were like paste and I couldnt even eat them (and I LOVE garlic mashed) My husbands Prime rib was ok - but he commented it was the worst one he ever had here (and he frequently eats here with business associates) the other gentlemen we were with said it was just ok. Our Server was not attentive and we had to wait a LONG time with empty glasses. For the price of the meal we were very disapointed. I for one will not go back.

2  Thank libinatorsmom9357