“Could not ask for better!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Great Pool, Wonderful staff, clean and cheerful. Rooms delightful. Near Jordan Creek mall, a great shopping adventure. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 2, 2009

We spent two nights at this hotel while we were moving our daughter to West Des Moines. From the beginning, we were really impressed with our stay. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly. We loved the delcious cookies at check-in. We asked some questions about the area, and were given fast and comprehensive information and a map. Our rooms were clean and had all the amenities we needed, such as hairdryer, iron and ironing board, toiletries, and lots of towels in the bathroom. My parents had a trailer and there was ample parking for the trailer, and from our hotel room we could keep an eye on the trailer right below in the back. There were items for sale downstairs like pop, snack items, and candy, and a convenience store also within walking distance. Right next to the parking lot there was a Cracker Barrel, a Mexican restaurant, and another restaurant. The location was convenient, too... easy access to the highway, but sitting off the highway a bit so there wasn't a lot of noise.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My wife and I stay at this hotel a couple of times a year and absolutely love it! The rates are reasonable, the rooms are clean, the front desk is friendly, and the breakfast is great!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I stayed 4 nights on a business trip. The room was clean and about average, but the overall property is above average and very comfortable. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The continental breakfast is very good. I've had scrambled eggs and pigs in a blanket, omelets with sides of bacon, and ham (on various days). There is a nice waffle bar and a toaster bar with a variety of breads, fruits, cereals, and juices. All very clean and well presented in an attractive dining room. It is right next to a Quik Trip (gas and convenience store), a good Mexican restaurant, and Wendy's. Just a short drive to a good selection of other restaurants. I found a Hy-Vee grocery about a mile away that has a great variety of dine-in meals and a soup and salad bar that are very reasonable for business travelers watching their budgets. The inside pool and hot tub looked very inviting although I didn't get an opportunity to enjoy it. I will gladly stay here again when I'm in the area.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 18, 2008

This was my second stay at the Counrty Inn and Suites and this time I brought my husband and son. The hotel is located right off the University Ave exit on I 35. Very convenient to malls and the I 35. We stayed for 3 nights. I booked through hotwire this time and was so happy to see that I got this hotel! This time I had a different room and I believe it was called a King with a study. It had a pull out sofa and a very open room plan, one TV, a microwave and a mini fridge. This room happened to be handicap accessible which we didn't need, but it was a very nice bathroom. My son loved the pool and my husband was impressed with the free hot breakfasts and cookies and popcorn that they provided at night. I was very happy with their free internet in the lobby with allowed me to look up some directions and the weather for the day so that I could make plans because it was going to rain. There had been lots of severe weather going through and I inquired at the front desk as to what the Tornado Warning plan was the first night and she walked me through it. That made me feel very safe. Luckily we didn't have to use the plan while we were there. The front desk staff was polite and cheery and even left us a message the first night to make sure that our room was to our liking and asking if we needed anything else. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank briansgal
Reviewed April 25, 2008

This is my first wriiten review on TA.com. Have stayed at hotels because of the reviews on this site though.

Honestly, I have stayed at hotels ranging from The Ritz in California, to a simple Days Inn in Oklahoma, as I have traveled a lot.
I have, however, never encountered a hotel quite like this.

My situation: Traveling from Oklahoma to Minnesota for a medical ER. DUE TO WEATHER, we had to get off the highway in Clive. Read the TA reviews, and found the Country Inn, and it was a god-send.

We arrived at 2:00, and they normally start check-in at 3:00, but my keys were in my hand without my even asking when I could check in...which brings up the lengths the staff went to, to help us.
We needed a wheelchair, and the front desk attendant did not even flinch, saying, "Well, we do not have one, but we DO have a chair with wheels?" :-)

Offering us the OFFICE CHAIR for our campanion needing the wheelchair, and a perfect 1st floor room, just made my anguish disappear. Then, a never experienced follow -up call to make sure our room was okay, and we didn't need anything.!
That is what the service industry was like in the old days...who knew that the folks here got it?

As to the room, not only was it exceptionally clean, but the beds and pillows are just what I needed after 10 hours driving though storms...they are soft and firm, perfect for me.

Sorry this is so long, but honestly, even at the Ritz, NO-ONE has ever vocalized during check-in to "call if you have any problems", and never have I had a follw-up call a few hours after check-in, just to make sure everything is okay, (and bringing extra pilows and blankets.)

Okay, if you ever are in the Des Moines area, I reccomend this place for its service. Truly exceptional, IMHO.

annhamlet

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We stayed on the way during a long road trip. What a great rest. The place seemed new and modernly decorated. We booked through hotwire and got 2 double beds after specifying 3 people. There was a refridge and microwave . the beds were a little soft but fine. The shower was a 10 and everything was clean. The breakfast was phenomenal. Fresh made sausage and eggs (you could make a sandwich with english muffins) yogurt, waffles, anything you could want. There were 2 free internet computers for use in the lobby. The pool looked great. I was sorry I didnt bring my suit. The only complaint I could see was there was not much room to move around. However, there was a comfy easy chair to read and a desk chair to use the free internet. (not wifi) There are tons of restaurants and mall around the hotel. This was a real find!

Stayed: March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#13 of 48 in Des Moines
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West? Share your experiences!