Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Great hotel”
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

The front desk staff were very friendly, the pool was very big and the kids had a blast swimming and the breakfast was good. We know what to expect when staying at a Country Inn and this hotel definitely met our expectations. If ever in the area again, we wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

Stayed December 2013
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hello,
Thank you very much for the great review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time to do so and we are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We all look forward to having you stay again soon!

Tom Murray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I would have given this hotel an Excellent rating had it not been for fermenting blueberries on the breakfast bar. Strawberries and blueberries were offered as fruit to make a yogurt parfait. The strawberries were sitting in juice that was foaming on top, so my husband chose the blueberries instead. He knew immediately on first taste the blueberries were beginning to ferment and were not edible. It would be safer to offer guests individual, pre-packaged yogurt containers rather than risk a food safety issue. I mentioned this issue to the individual working the breakfast bar, but am not sure he removed them. That said, our room on 3rd floor was very clean and quiet. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in easy walking distance to a nice Mexican restaurant, and other restaurants and shopping are close by.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our breakfast attendant did not catch the blueberry problem. I sincerely apologize for our mistake and I appreciate you and your husband bringing that to our attention. I have review this isue as well as other food safety procedures with all of our breakfast staff to ensure that we are providing a delicious and safe breakfast to our guests. I was pleased to read that the rest of your stay was pleasant and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon.

Denver, CO
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We enjoyed our September stay so we stopped again on the return leg in October for a couple more nights in the same suite. Whole Foods is about a mile east if you need supplies. Lots of restaurant choices west about 1/2 mile. Third floor back side is our preference...quiet enough to sleep with the windows open if you get on the back side. Love the separate bedroom with a real door & 2 TVs. Wi-fi a little hitchy at times. Housekeeping does an excellent job. Front desk staff available & friendly. Good breakfast buffet choices with real china & cutlery. Score for offering blueberries & strawberries. Bit of a drive to our work in the capitol area, but downtown prices for this kind of accomodation are out-of-sight. We're likely to return. Country Inns website is annoying.....had to book return leg by phone call due to website glitchiness & layout difficult for smartphone viewing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miss_utility
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hello,
Thank you very much for the great review regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you had 2 nice stays with us and look forward to a third great stay!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We traveled a long way to take our Son to University. To say the least the trip had a lot to deal with but the Hotel and staff were amazing.... Tom Murray the GM was exceptional from booking to departure he and his staff were 5 star.... The normal expectations ,clean room, clean pool , and helpful staff all there but the extras ... The little things helping with forgotten items to packing for a family of 5 they help with whatever we needed.
If looking for a place in the Des Moines it's a 10

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hello,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. We all appreciate the great comments and 5 STAR review. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you come back to visit your son in college.

West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My rating system based on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) friendliness. I give this hotel a 3 out of 5. It is clean and comfortable. The lobby and breakfast area do present MCS challenges, but that is to be expected. The room was both clean and relatively chemical free: meaning, there was no over-bearing sense of chemicals. I am a 4.8/5 reaction MCS, and I found it both tolerable and 'reaction free'. If you 'mask-up' for 'public areas', your stay will likely be one without incident. But, as we all know, all of this could drop to 0/5 with one chemical slip-up. I have been using Country Inn & Suites as my primary out-of-home stay for the last 8 years and have yet to need to find other accommodations.

Room Tip: Call ahead and let them know you have special (MCS) needs. I have CI&S to be most accommodating.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yosakime
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. I am glad that you had a nice stay with us and look forward to serving your lodging needs again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Our stay was wonderful from check-in to check-out. It was so easy to get from off I-80. This is the first time we have stayed in this chain and we will be staying again. We asked for a first floor room and received one. The hot tub was one of the best I have been in. The bed was a little softer than I like but I slept fine. The breakfast had plenty of items to choose from. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor in the middle of the hall and heard nothing all night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello,
Thank you very much for the great review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Do try hard to meet and exceed our guest's expectations in as many areas as possible. We look forward to having you stay here again should your travels bring you back to our area.

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is an average property due for a renovation. Room furnishings are showing their age. The breakfast is as advertised with hot items available. The suite layout is a plus. I've stayed at the La Quinta next door. It's inferior to this hotel. But you're better bet for a nicer place is south or up to the north.

On arrival I came into the lobby area and stood. And stood. Called out. No response. After five minutes I glanced at the manager's card and called the property. The phone rang and rang - about 25 times. No answer. At about 10 minutes an employee came walking into the lobby from the exterior. No eye contact or greeting to me until she came into the front desk area. I could smell the cigarette odor strongly on her.

May you arrive at a time other than the smoke break.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the property have less exposure to Interstate noise from the East.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank skagittraveler
CountryInnlManager, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us. First and foremost I must apologize for the poor service that your received the minute you walked into our hotel lobby. I have no excuses for this situation and I too would have been immediately put off by this. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations though we went through a 1 million dollar renovation in May 2012. I hope that should you choose to give us another opportunity that we may do a much better job in taking care of your lodging needs. I hope that the remainder of your stay with us was pleasant and comfortable.

Tom Murray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Best Western Plus Des Moines West Inn & Suites
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive
Hotel Renovo
Hotel Renovo
#3 of 11 in Urbandale

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West? Share your experiences!