“Stayed here twice in one year and its not recommended”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clive
Reviewed September 8, 2011

The service for towels is unreasonable. They give you half of what is staying in your room for individuals and when asked for some more whether called down or asked at check in or even when they are cleaning your room they either do not bring to you, you have to go down and get face to face extras, or maids give less than. The pool on both occasions and hot tubs were filthy. There were floating bandaids, dirt, hair, etc in both. We had sugar ants crawling all over our bathroom sink and walls when we woke up next day and there was no food or juice etc in the room. Air conditioner smells of mustiness and when you walk in the room you can smell the same odor and the temp is always the same whether up or down--not cold enoug. The complaints were made in person and via email and there was nothing but an I am sorry. Don't expect to receive anything for troubles or fixing of the issues. SORRY-bad choice of a hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank karatewoman00
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I am allergic to dogs and mold, and this hotel was full of both. Lots of mold in the bathroom around the toilet and shower. Dogs in the lobby when I arrived & on the elevator ... and then more dogs walking around the breakfast area in the morning. Not a good hotel if you have allergies.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed here on our trip to and from the Rockies. Located in a convenient on/off from I-80. We were pleasantly surprised at the recent updates - new carpeting and painting, new TV's and furnishings. The pool and hot tub were clean and kept at a warm temperature. although really active with young kids on a weekend night.

We did experience problems - the new TV didn't work in one of our rooms, but the manager attempted to fix and when he couldn't repair it, offered us a discount.

On our return trip we experienced some unexpected car problems. The front desk clerk was either missing, or curt and lacked the attention we needed to get back on the road. The lobby internet was so slow connecting, we gave up after 30 minutes. The lobby breakfast buffet area was dirty, trash over-flowing, and food not replenished. One of our rooms also had a toilet that continued to run water constantly.

A suggestion/complaint was emailed to La Quinta (and no, it wasn't requesting a discount), but after over a week, we've received no reply except that the message was received.

FYI - there was a dog show in town, and we were told this place has no guaranteed room that hasn't had pets stay in at some point in time.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor as it has only one elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank spatts
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Stayed here after driving through many storms. Stopped for a room with 2 dogs and 2 adults. They were very friendly and the rooms were comfortable and very clean. The free breakfast was not the best but then we did get there at the end. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel as both people and pet friendly.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Well after reading some reviews on this hotel, I was a little worried. But once we got to the room, realized it wasn't a bad looking hotel. This was our first time staying at a La Quinta so we had no experience on what to expect. The price was reasonable and the beds we actually pretty comfortable for a low priced chain. We stayed in a king bed room with our 11 month old so they provided a crib for him which was nice. Our king bed had 5 feather pillows on it which is about the only way I can sleep. The shower was nice and warm while also maintaining the same temperature throughout the shower. The only negatives I have from this La Quinta is when I bent down to watch what my son was up to, I noticed that behind the dresser on the floor was a previous customers panties, but we quickly threw them out so he didn't play with them. Also we found either a piece of cat or dog food under the recliner. But overall, this was a great hotel if you are only really needing a nice place to sleep. We did not get up early enough to eat the breakfast so I can't help out on that.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2011

shame on me for expecting a decent room for a little amount of money, I should have known!! If I could prevent one family from staying in this trash hole I will have done my job! save your money and go next door to country Inn and suits!! my family booked a hotel room for four days at La quina and could only tolerate one night, the place smells of animal feces and the staff is very rude. I will never stay at another La quinta ever! the rooms were trashy ( wall paper peeling off) stains on carpet, ripped screens on our window, broken light fixtures, the only thing I have good to say is the pool area looked clean. Please go someplace else!!! t.v had no singnal, and when I called the desk the attendant was rude...la quinta you should be shut down!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We spent two nights and although they upgraded us to what they call a suite it really wasn't much a suite they added a couch. 1) they had a huge round mirror on the wall opposite the bed, someone had taped something to it one time or another and the big tape marks are still there. 2) the carpet was old and there was something stuck to the night stand that needed cleaning. 3) the small bathroom tub needed an arch bar and there was something in the crevasse where the tub met the floor like mold? 4) one of my biggest pet pees was the TV, it had horrible reception (cable) worse than over the air digital. The picture was so dark you could hardly see the picture! The breakfast was all carbohydrates and needed more fruit options, it was OK for the coffee and roll person. The staff was very good, the hotel just needed some upgrades. I will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
#12 of 48 in Des Moines
Sterling Hotel and Suites
Courtyard Des Moines West/Clive

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive? Share your experiences!