“not great, not bad”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Clive
chicago, illinois
“not great, not bad”
Reviewed July 4, 2009

the wildwood lodge like i said is not great but not bad either, its just good. first lets start with the room. it was quite large actually and i was able to sleep comfortably on the beds. the hotel was close to a chilis and other great restaurants that i would reccomend trying. there was good and bad at breakfast. the bad was it took time for them to get the batter to make the waffles but after it came out they were really good. overall i loved my stay at the wildwood and would enjoy coming back again

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank fluff10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I always stay here during my business travel. The first time I came to the area I didn't like the hotel I had originally made my reservation at. I took a chance and came here to see if they had rooms available. They did, but not at a room rate that my company expense policy would approve. They were nice enough to drop it to a nightly rate that would be approved to accomodate my stay.

I again decided to stay here during my 3 night business trip and got a great AAA rate.

What I like about this place...
1. Unique decor: its the outdoor cabin back country theme
2. Full hot breakfast, complimentary
3. Indoor fitness center/pool
4. Happy hour 5-10pm and free appetizers, and they give you a token for a free drink
5. There are bikes you can take out on the nearby bike trails
6. Right off highway 35, and close to restaurants
7. Free wireless internet

I haven't had a bad night, and plan to continue to come back here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Buena Vista, Colorado
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We were en route to Colorado from Wisconsin and reserved a room at the Wildwood Lodge based on reviews from Trip Advisor. Upon arriving around 11 PM we were greeted with "we were expecting you." After a prompt check in we were offered much appreciated beverages. Our room was very spacious (we were upgraded) - especially clean and comfortable. Our departure was early the next morning so we hustled down for breakfast. Most everything was ready at 6:30 AM except for the hot breakfast item of the day. That was a disappointment but not enough to prevent us from staying there again. The lodge atmosphere made us comfortable and even more anxious to get back to Colorado.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ankeny,IA
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We stayed only one night, over spring break, to give our children a night away from home someplace with a pool. We chose Wildwood because the lodge-y theme of the hotel would appeal to our children. The pool and hot tub were great and the kids had a lot of fun. The pool was a decent temperature the first night and then a little warmer even the next morning, which was nice. Our room was cozy and comfortable--we opted to not stay in a room near the pool to help lessen the possibility of loud noise. Had no problems with noise at all. The free breakfast the next morning was great, with many options. We made our own belgian waffles (only thing that would have made them better was whipped cream--I don't think I saw any, but they were still great), and also had cereal and very freshly made scrambled eggs. There were almost too many foods to choose from. We had a great night away!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Kansas City
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Nice clean rooms, free breakfast was a plus!
Pool was warm, but pretty dirty. I am amazed that the city codes people allow a pool's water quality to be so low. Nothing new though, nearly every pool I have been to @ hotel's are this way..
Having a pool & hot tub @ home allows me to know what a clean & well taken care of pool is.

I would stay here again. Better than some other places we have stayed in the Des Moines Area.

• Liked — Free Breakfast
  • Disliked — Stinky dirty pool
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wildwoodlodge, General manager at Wildwood Lodge, responded to this review, October 10, 2008
Thank you for your positive review of the Wildwood Lodge. We have addressed the sand issue at the bottom of the pool. A broken lateral in our filter system had broken and caused the pool to look dirty on the bottom. I can assure you that our pool is tested every two hours even though the standard is every 4 hours. Its guests like you and your feedback which makes it easier for us to improve the high level of service and accommodations we strive for at the Wildwood Lodge.
Iowa
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I am a single mom in search of somewhere to stay, during our bad weather, which knocked out electric at my home for over 7 days, I tried to locate a hotel near my work and the cheapest i had been able to find was about 135 a night, i can not afford that. When i called to see if they had any room left he said yes, I asked how much and he gave me a price of about 110 which was better than anywhere else, but when we got there, my daughter was freezing and i think he realized becuase my daughter asked if she was going to be able to take a hot shower today since we have had no heat for 3 days by this time, I dont know if he felt bad but he gave a room by the pool for only 70 dollars a night. I was so greatfull i just wanted to be warm. There the best. While everyone else was taking advantage of all the electrical problems in Southern Iowa by raising their prices which i think is wrong especially in times of hard ship like the whole county having no electric.

Stayed January 2008
Maquoketa
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I've stayed at the Wildwood twice on business. I found the service very accomodating, and the locaion conveinent. The first trip I enjoyed immensely as I was lucky enough to get a King room. The room was fabulous; quiet, and exceptionaly comfortable!! The second time I had a double queen room and while not as nice as the King, still a great room . The staff were right on top of any requests I had, very friendly. I skipped breakfast both times, but the spread looked very inviting and the breakfast area is beautiful. We will continue using the Wildwood for our Des Moines area business travel.

• Liked — The King bed I would have liked to buy and take home..and all the pillows!
  • Disliked — Double Queen room was a little cramped
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clive
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Des Moines West
Hotel Renovo
#2 of 11 in Urbandale
La Quinta Inn & Suites Des Moines-West-Clive
Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines

Been to Wildwood Lodge? Share your experiences!