“The most scenic winery and delicious wine I've had in years!”
Review of Wide River Winery

Wide River Winery
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Clinton
More attraction details
Owner description: Wide River Winery is located in Clinton IA on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River at its widest point. The tasting room offers up to 5 tastes of their locally made award winning wines. Beautiful expanded deck that can be enjoyed Spring, Summer, Fall and some mild Winter days too!
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This was the best stop I've made in AGES. I truly love wine and enjoy a nature hike, and this idyllic setting offered both.

I took a few friends and came to Iowa for the weekend -- it was an easy drive, less than 3 hours from Chicago, and we really loved the place.

I give this stop a strong MUST DO.

1  Thank matthetraveler
"in town"
"bottle"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed April 14, 2011

Love this winery. The owners are inviting, warm, friendly, and knowledgable. It's a great day trip from Chicago, and such a comfortable place to relax on a warm day on the side patio of the winery. The view of the river is spectacular and the entire property feels like an escape from the world. Not to mention, the wine is fabulous! Felony Red is definitely a favorite!

Reviewed January 31, 2011

It was just me and my wife for a friendly wine tasting. Martha, the attendant, was friendly and knowledable about the wines and winery. The winery sets atop a bluff over looking the Mississippi River...beautiful!

1  Thank JamieD1971
Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is a superb place to find! A nice surprise awaits you if you are brave enough to dare the snowy hills, you will find a beautifully located winery atop, looking down from inside the winery you will cast upon magnificent wooded crevices where you can just wait to see wondering critters. There is a walking trail to avail in the warmer weather as well. The winery itself is very interesting, run by a district judge and an attorney. The names of the wines make more sense if you know this. We took my mother to this winery on her birthday, and each sampled about 5 wines. Some of my favorties include: Felony Red, Ms. D'Meanor, Guilty Pleasure and Conviction. There is a wine here for all tastes: sweet, semi-sweet, fruit-forward and dry. They also have a port, which I should have tried.
I'd recommend this winery for a nice get-away/excursion picnic style. There are places to sit on a balcony out back (great overlook view) where you can relax, eat and enjoy. I understand that you can also get some of their wines at local Iowa Hyvee's. So, if you aren't sure you want to invest the time, or if you are afraid to go and find you don't like any of them, you can try them out beforehand.

2  Thank DanStac
See more reviews
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I was visiting a friend in Chicago and wanted to meet up with another friend in Iowa, therefore leading us in the middle to a little place called Clinton, Iowa. I just googled some things to do in the area and found Wide Rivery Winery. The drive was an adventure up these beautiful hills and landscapes and once we arrived, the grounds were beautiful and where you go and taste the wine was in a small house, but decorated with a very country, comfortable, welcoming feel. We were immediately greeted and told about the winery (mostly runned by a family whom work for the justice system) The tasting was free and the wines were incredibly cheap and delicious! I reccomend trying Pursuit of Happiness! After we got out glass of wine, we were told to just take a stroll along the property where they have a beautiful look out of the mississippi river, it was a perfect day.

1  Thank kstarno