“Great place to Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clear Lake
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great place to Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Close to the I35 and a good hot breakfast for a very reasonable price.

Beds very comfortable... King bed we had in early September was wonderful as was the Doubles we had later in month on our return trip. Very helpful staff, rooms are spacious and comfortable. Soft water in Clear lake too; great for the showers. Elevator a bit slow; but not a show stopper.

Hot breakfast is one of the best we have had at BW's but coffee could be improved upon.

Happy to stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
lfaught, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Holiday Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment following your stay at the Best Western Holiday Lodge in Clear Lake, Iowa.

Your comments on our performance were most generous and shall be passed on to the appropriate staff members. It is always gratifying to know that our efforts were effective and appreciated.

Lori Faught

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Maple Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Unless you want to spend high bucks, for just average, with issues, do not go here. We were traveling to Minneapolis, with a stop over in Clear Lake to visit a friend. It was late, it was convenient, we had not had a chance to check with Trip Advisor and it was near the interstate. The room was in the back, did have easy access from parking. It seemed strange that the room next to us and the one directly across the hall from us, both had bar-b-q grills outside their rooms. I assume these are permanently rented by the occupants, though we did not ask. This was high cost for an average room, nothing special. They have no free internet - who does that anymore? They nickel and dime you for everything. The toilet in our room, did not flush properly and you had to hold down the lever to make it work. The ceiling fan was attached to the wrong light fixture. Instead of being with the ceiling light, the fan worked with the vanity light, above the mirror and made a terrible racket. They have a beer bottle opener, on the door jam, as you enter the bathroom (haven't seen those in years anymore!). It is placed, just where you would put your hand, around the wall, in the dark, to find the light switch. When I went to enter the room, in the night, I rammed my fingers, into and under that bottle opener and really hurt and skinned my fingers.. The complimentary breakfast was very lacking. They were understaffed. Tables were not bussed and dirty. They had good selections but everything was cold - cold eggs, cold sausage links, cold sausage & gravy. The toaster didn't work. It took forever, your bread didn't toast even after being put down twice. Orange juice was watered down. We had dinner at an attached Bennigans and that was a bad experience also. See my review of that! There are other places in Clear Lake. Seek them out and skip this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration we strive for with all our guests, the type of service we pride ourselves in.

I have investigated your comments and do not see where we charged you for the FREE internet. If you have a folio that shows different please let me know by contacting me.

We do have guest that have been staying with us for months due to a housing shortage for rental properties and have okayed for them to use grills outside their rooms.

Lori Faught
Emmetsburg, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My experience with this hotel was wonderful from the minute i walked in the door! Staff was very pleasant at the desk. I had booked a king room, and was suprised to be informed that i had been upgraded to a king suite! After a horrible week of dealing with a family crisis, this was absolutly the crowning moment. Room was spotless. Bed was comfortable. All in all just a wonderful place to stay. I would recommend this hotel to everyone! Thank You Best Western!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank armysis727
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

An acceptable hotel. It was clean and staff was pleasant. Internet access in the business center was very poor. Hot breakfast bar, if you don't mind egg disks and salt biscuits. Yogurt and fruit also available. If you're looking for a convenient location on your way to Mpls/St. Paul, this is not a bad place to spend a night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thereareplaces
Branson, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

When I arrived, I had just had a day filled with terrible customer service experiences. I was road weary and was not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised by a very helpful front desk clerk whose cheery manner brightened my day. A few moments later, I ordered room service and was met with great customer service in the happy voice at the other end of the phone. When the meal arrived (quickly, I might add) the young lady was bubbly and seemed to really care that I had everything I needed to enjoy the meal. I was impressed!

The bed was so comfortable that my bad day turned into a great evening. This was a nice, comfortable, friendly place to stay and I would gladly stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SoloTraveler1967
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here three nights starting June 9, 2012, and the place is outstanding! Our room on the fifth floor was very clean, the queen bed comfortable, quiet, and well serviced by the cleaning personnel, but lacked a fridge and microwave which was not a big deal. Desk clerks were friendly and efficient. Breakfasts were great with a variety of food. The indoor pool looked very nice and so did the hot tub but we didn’t use either. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ESD1836
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After many hours of driving through steady rain, I decided to stay at this Best Western. I called the 800# while on the road for a standard King Bed room. When I finally made it to the hotel, the lady at the Front Desk stated that she had not noticed my reservation and already rented my room type out! Fortunately, she was able to upgrade me to a King Suite!!! The suite seemed to have been a recent renovation. Everything was clean and fresh looking! Wi-fi worked well, too. It seem that there was 2 seperate Air/heat thermostats to the suite. The sitting-room temp control worked well. I was not able to figure out the temp control unit for the bedroom. Though the bedroom was cooler than I'd like, the comforter on the bed kept me warm!! Did not partake in the breakfast, so unable to comment about it. In the morning, the another woman working the Front Desk was able to give me good directions to the Buddy Holly Crash Site.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3.0 of 5 stars 217 reviews
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mason City
Hampton Inn & Suites Mason City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City

Been to BEST WESTERN Holiday Lodge? Share your experiences!