“Gloomy”

Super 8 Clear Lake
Super 8 Clear Lake
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Clear Lake
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The reviews said over and over that motel was clean, so we overlooked the dimly lit parking lot. Bed was clean but room-tub not very reassuring. Just pretty old. Not one light in parking lot in back. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank Trailmamia
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Clear Lake

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Would have been ok stay, but the room had a bad odor. Couldn't decide if it smelled like bad B.O. or cat pee. Nice breakfast!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank debalew
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We just passed through the area, but found this motel to be very quiet and clean. Friendly staff at check in and check out. Would most definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed at the Super 8 on our way out west. Although we arrived late without a reservation, the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. The room was clean and the breakfast was very good. I loved the homemade waffles. This motel is a good value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My wife and I chose this hotel because of the good ratings on TripAdvisor.com. The staff was very nice. The room was very clean. The A/C worked very well. The bed was clean and comfortable, and the furniture was in good repair. The breakfast was delicious. The biscuit and gravy was very good, and the waffle maker produced very good waffles.

The only downside, was the room had a funky smell like old sweat. I never did figure out where it was coming from. The bed sheets smelled clean and fresh, and I even smelled the furniture. I could not pinpoint a single source of the bad smell. Also, the internet worked fine the night of check-in, but didn't work at all the next morning. I don't think it is the fault of the hotel, though, as there was a bad storm in the area and I think it knocked out the internet in general.

I would stay here again, as I think the bad smell was an isolated problem that probably wouldn't happen again. We would have asked for a different room, except the place was booked up.

One last thing, while in the area, be sure and check out the Buddy Holly memorial about 5 miles away.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Traveling north on I-35 in Iowa at 11;00 pm looking for a place to stay with my son. We took the first exit to Clear Lake and found this Super 8 Motel right on the freeway. Not knowing that the next exit was full of better known chains, we checked in at this motel. I had no idea what to expect, having never heard of Super 8 (Motel 6 ??:) This place was a unexpected surprise, in that it was well situated off the interstate, very clean, good towels for this price range, and the beds were comfortable for two tired travelers. Heading home the next day, I was looking for a place to stay on I-435 South outside of Kansas Cityand I saw a sign for Super 8 at N. Corrington ...exit 54. This motel was all I was expecting, based on my previous nights stay. Priced right

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I was traveling down I-35 on business and decided to spend the night in Clear Lake. Decided to stay at the Super 8 as I had not stayed in this location before. I was pleasantly surprised! Very clean with great service. Nice breakfast! I will stay again when traveling through Iowa.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Scottiez, Manager at Super 8 Clear Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us, your business is so grealty appriciated! Please stop back and see us during your next trip to Clear Lake! We have made a lot of great improvements includeing new carpet, fresh paint, new bedding, new window treatments, updated furnishings, new interior lighting, as well as we have added a complimentary evening social hour and enhanced our breakfast. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clear Lake
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Clear Lake
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mason City
Hampton Inn & Suites Mason City

Been to Super 8 Clear Lake? Share your experiences!