“Great For Our Group”
Review of Hilltop Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clear Lake
Hilltop Motel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Clear Lake
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Our group had been travelling on business with for an extended period of time. This place was refreshing because it had the feel of staying in the guest bedroom your aunt's house, but with the privacy of a hotel.

Each room has a different theme (Coca-Cola Room, Waterski Room, etc.) giving the motel a fun and unique personality. The rooms were all clean and in great condition. The rate was affordable.

The service was fantastic. Terri and Jay, the owners, accommodated our group's every need and were welcoming and helpful.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank tromboned
There are newer reviews for Hilltop Motel

Reviewed August 11, 2010

We chose to stay at the Hilltop as part of a rambling road trip through the U.S. I found it online and was really curious. We were not disappointed. It was such an excellent experience for my daughters, my wife and me! We were drawn by the classic feel of the place (and especially the awesome outdoor pool) and got so much more than we could have hoped for - gorgeous location, incredible hospitality (incl Hershey the wonderpup), great theme room, fun outdoor games, a great supper recommendation, popcorn, movies, and much more. We made a lot of memories on this trip but the Hilltop Motel was easily the star attraction for us all. I absolutely recommend it!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank nairda73
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Stayed only one night with my daughter on a trip to see the Surf Ballroom and the famous plane crash site. I decided on the Hilltop Motel after reading the other reviews. It was as advertised -- a nice, family-owned motel right across the parking lot from the Surf Ballroom.

Reservation was easy and made via phone. Check in and check out were quick. The motel brings back memories of what motels were like in America before all the corporate motels flooded the land. The room was spacious and comfortable. The pool and hot tub were great. Grills were available for people wanting to make their own picnic meals. Wireless internet was fast.

I spoke with a few of the owners upon check in and while using the pool and hot tub. They were very nice people. I was happy to help support this family business. Should I return to Clear Lake I will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank smilingbrownbear
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I have stayed here a few times when attending concerts at the Surf Ballroom. This place is great for the price!!! The main level rooms have a front door and a back door that leads to the garden and pool. They have yards games around the pool to play. In the afternoon my buddies and I enjoy hanging out playing games while drinking a few beers. Then it's a close walk to some very good resturants. Finish the night at the Surf Ballroom for a concert and you can easily stumble home for quiet night of sleep. The owners are great people and will do anything to make sure you enjoy your stay. Can't wait for my next trip

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank dbahnsen
Reviewed July 21, 2009

This small motel is across a parking lot from the Surf Ballroom, a concert venue which is still active today and has fame as being the last show location for Buddy Holly, Big Bopper and Riche Valens. We saw a show there and stayed at the motel one night. The motel is friendly and family oriented. It is like journeying into middle America two decades ago. The whole town is like that, a classic small town midwest America, and if you are out to experience that and see the Surf then this motel is ideal, it personifies a small town friendliness that is totally absent in chains and larger cities in the US. Room, OK, people very friendly, and town kind of cool. Easy walk to the downtown from this location. Way way better then the route 18 chain hotels which I feared we would need to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Fred W
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I travel all over the country for my job and I stayed here over Memorial weekend and regretted having to leave. They put me in the Coca-Cola room,themed with Coca-Cola pictures and matching furniture, it has a ceiling fan microwave and fridge. Very soft beds, I liked how the backdoor to the room goes right out by the pool and hot tub area, there are benches if you want to sit outback in the shade. And last but not least it is in walking distance to downtown or as the locals say "uptown". Many restaurants and lounges are minutes away on foot and all the houses and buildings are a delight to look at on the way, not mention the beautiful lake! Very good prices, Free Movies, DVD Players in all rooms

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MerchantDirectSteve
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed at the Hilltop Motel during the Iowa floods of 2008. Our home in Mason City had no running water so we spent two nights at this motel. We booked a two bed kitchenette and they gave us a great rate due to the flooding. The motel also had sheltered area that had gas grills for us to use plus a pizza oven and commercial pop corn popper. The outdoor pool was great. It was a truly a mini-vacation for us. The owners were very kind and friendly to us. We had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank muyfamily
Super 8 Clear Lake
#4 of 8 in Clear Lake
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mason City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City

Been to Hilltop Motel? Share your experiences!