“Cheyenne, Iowa Wedding Weekend”

Best Western La Grande Hacienda
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cherokee
Fergus Falls, United States
“Cheyenne, Iowa Wedding Weekend”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very pleasant and helpful employees. Breakfast was a plentiful variety and very good. Easy on/off access to the main highway. We were there with a large group (some children) and everyone enjoyed the pool! For such a small town this Best Western was a nice surprise!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Davie, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Wished we could stay longer! Very friendly hotel staff and extremely friendly restaurant staff! The food at the hotel restaurant's steak house was superb! It was my husband's birthday and happened to mention it to our waitress.....she brought out an ice cream sundae with a lit candle and a sincere birthday wish. What a nice touch!! The rooms were very nice and very clean! I dont typically write reviews, but this hotel was exceptional! I totally recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: They did not have a spa, however the indoor pool was fantastic!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed August 8, 2013

For the last ~5 years I've stayed at the la Grande 30-36 nights a year. Until recently, I found the hotel to be convenient, well-run and friendly. A few months ago new management rolled into town. Since then, customer service has fallen off while rates have increased 20%. Earlier this week I stayed at la Grande for the last time. The hotel has refused to honor the previously negotiated rate. Now, a room is over $100 with tax, etc., for an average room in Cherokee, Iowa - I think not!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Waverly, Iowa
Reviewed July 24, 2013

DO NOT GO ONLINE TO BOOK THIS HOTEL! DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE! I had a family reunion in the area and tried to book a room. After I entered all of my information, including my credit card, it told me there were no rooms available. I had to book a room 15 miles away. The next day, I received an email asking me about my "stay" there. I tried to reply, but it was one of those you can't reply to. I checked and they had credited by credit card for $111. I called Best Western to complain. They said it was the responsibility of the property owner. I called the local hotel and they said it was the responsibility of the national branch. They did say they were booked that weekend so they couldn't give a refund. Frankly, they were booked before I tried to reserve a room. I am an attorney and I am offended by consumer fraud. I have contacted the Iowa Attorney General's office about this.

Room Tip: Don't deal with these people!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Karla S
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I have been returning to this property every 2 years for the past decade, and so it's been interesting to see the renovations and/or deferred maintenance from time to time. This experience was a mixed bag. The rooms were cleaner than last time, but the coffee pot was very heavily coffee stained and the hair dryer kept turning itself off. The rooms are large and decent--certainly not as good as some of the BWs I've stayed in, but not as bad as others.

The large indoor swimming pool in the center of the property is very popular. The very small breakfast area can be overtaxed at times.

Staff was very pleasant and friendly, but obviously on edge trying to get used to the leadership of the new owner. It will be interesting to revisit after things have had a chance to sort themselves out.

• Stayed June 2013
Rock Valley, Iowa
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with outstanding personal/staff. The room was very clean and well kept and up to date. New flat screen TV’s and great furnishings. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Great breakfast with hot food and nice variety. I would recommend this hotel to any and everyone. For a small town hotel this is a more then above average place. For pet lovers, our dog was welcomed. This is by far a awesome place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin G
General M, Owner at Best Western La Grande Hacienda, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad that we were able to help you out during that hazardous weather. I'm also glad that you reached your destination safely!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed this past weekend and I would recommend this hotel. It is clean, the beds were comfortable and we had a pleasant stay. This is not a fancy high class hotel, but for the average person that wants a clean comfortable stay, you cannot beat this place. The service was good, staff was friendly and helpful. The hot breakfast was a nice feature. It consisted of biscuits and gravy, eggs, make your own waffles, sausage, cereal, fruit and muffins. The only complaint would be the sausage was cold, everything else I tried was excellent. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. My entire team cares about our guests and works hard to ensure that they enjoy their stay. I am glad that you reached your destination despite the horrible weather we experienced over the weekend. I hope you come and see us again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cherokee
Cherokee Inn
#1 of 1 in Marcus
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#3 of 4 in Storm Lake

Been to Best Western La Grande Hacienda? Share your experiences!