“Good choise in Charles City”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charles City
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed there one night before making an audit at a suppliers facility. The hotel is a bit outside the city centre of Charles City, which means if you're without a car, you have quite a bit to walk to anything. If you're missing something, there's both a K-mart and a Fareway close by - Fareway has actually a very nice selection of goods and fresh produce. If you're walking, beware of the traffic, as pedestrians are a rare breed there.
The hotel is actually quite fine, with very clean rooms and fine breakfast. the first room I got was on the ground floor and with a door to the adjacent room. Unfortunately this room was used as a meeting room by some other guests, which also had the habit of constantly running to and fro so i felt like watch a cartoon where Elmer Fudd is chasing Bugs Bunny in the haunted house.
As I had some work to do, this was not acceptable and when notifying the fornt desk on the situation, I was promptly given a suite on the first floor, which was nice and quiet - kudos for that!
There is no such thing as room with a view, as this is on the outskirts of the town, and all you can see is the road, a parking lot, and a nearby gas station.
I think the place is value for money, but when you come without a car (most likely I'm the only one doing this, as I normally do not drive around, when doing audits) it's rather off the beaten track.
Provided I come back in a few years, this is a place I would be likely to use again.

Room Tip: Go for a suite and avoid rooms with an interconnecting door.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel was clean and the hot breakfast provided was good.

My only complaint was the staff. I had a question and there wasn't any staff around at the front desk and when I finally made eye contact with one he ignored me and carried on smoking out front of the hotel and his chat on the cell phone.

I'll just chalk it down as perhaps they aren't used to serving persons of other ethnic background and the lack of hospitality training.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ChristineandMaggie
Reviewed August 9, 2012

When my family informed us we would be having a reunion in Charles City, Iowa, I was thinking this could be dismal. I was pleasantly surprised with the Sleep Inn.

In addition to being spotless, the bed was incredibly comfortable. The staff was amazing - friendly, efficient and professional - particularly impressive given our family reunion and a wedding going on at the same time.

Bottomline: A great value and makes for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I stated at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Charles City, Iowa for 6 nights in late June and early July.

I was a bit disappointed that with that long of a stay they didn’t give us one of their suites. They did offer to move us after a day or so but at that point we had already settled in and didn’t want to move.

The room was adequate size. The bed was very comfortable. It was quite hot and humid during our stay and the air conditioner did a great job of keeping our room comfortable. It was also quiet.

The morning breakfast was fairly standard for a place in this budget range. Every morning there was some kind of pre-cooked egg dish, make your own waffles, pastries and bread, a limited offering of fresh fruit, boiled eggs, coffee and juice. It got monotonous after a few days but was convenient.

Don’t worry about a room with a view because there isn’t one. It’s on the edge of town with nothing much to see in any direction other than a car lot and a K-Mart. There is a nice convenience store and gas station right next to it that had a surprisingly good selection of food, drinks and sundries.

Next time we go to Charles City we’ll probably stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Both of our keys needed to be re-programmed the second day, while we had hot food getting cold. Had to wait for a long time for the front desk to finish chatting with the folks ahead of me before I could get my card re-burned and get into my room. Several of the people in our work group had the same problem over 2 days. The clerks are told to tell everybody that it must be their cell phones (which is complete bull - google it), but neither of ours were near our phones, or any possible magnetic field. We travel alot, and stay in Comfort Inn-Best Western-Super 8-LaQuinta-Sleep Inn - type places. Very, VERY rarely does a key card not work, and it happened to just about everyone at this place, with the same lame excuse each time. I'm sure that's the norm here. What is probably actually the problem is their programmer and/or cards, but they won't admit it.

Such a pain for guests, and I should have called or emailed the manager, but I see this has been happening here for awhile, so they probably don't give a rip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NoDakker
Reviewed May 22, 2012

One night stay. The room was very large, the large tv stand held a 32 inch flat screen tv and a hidden fridge. Lots of room to throw your keys, purse etc. King size bed was comfy, pillows were lumpy though. The bathroom was awesome, LARGE counter area to put all of your toiletries and still have space left over! Plenty of hot water for the shower. Free breakfast had lots of choices, waffles, biscuits and gravy, the standard bagels/eng muff/muffins etc. was very good. Free wireless did not work, the server was not working but we did not care since we were just there for one night. Friendly staff at front desk. Would stay again. FYI - get the $1.00 charge for the safe removed :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynDesMoines
Reviewed April 23, 2012

i got upgraded to a suite and it was a very nice, spacious room. it was all good, check in to check out

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Super 8 New Hampton
Super 8 New Hampton
#1 of 3 in New Hampton
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Osage

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!