“Don't come at 11 because that is when I go and I like getting a table”
Review of Croissant du Jour - CLOSED

Croissant du Jour
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is such a gem. The food is delicious, particularly the soups and the pastries. The dining area is quaint and clean.
The servers are polite and prompt. The owner is nice in that marvelous French way that is not too nice. For instance, during my last lunch visit, a loud man was going on and on about how he should get to push two tables together blah blah blah. The owner politely informed him that pushing tables together is not allowed because the restaurant has limited space and others wouldn't be able to get through. The man persisted in a way that told me he is used to a "the customer is always right" mentality. The owner remained polite but did not budge and finally said very coolly that the restaurant is busy enough without his patronage. That shut him up and he sat down with his party and ate his food with no further arguments.
I don't care what anyone says; I love the French.
This place is great.

1  Thank ladydoc2006

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I visit every time I'm in Iowa. The food isn't just delicious, it is moderately price and consistent in quality. The wait staff are friendly and attentive. I strongly recommend checking if they are open in advance- they take a two-week vacation every summer and every winter. The restaurant can get very busy between 11 (when lunch starts) and noon, so it can sometimes be difficult to get seating. When this happens I just get my food to go. Before 11 they sell pastry and coffee. If you order a cup of lobster bisque and think the serving is small, wait until you are eating it. The food that comes in small portions is very rich and satisfying. Every day they have a special that changes, typically including a seasonal soup or quiche. Few vegan options, but many meat-free choices.

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We buy every cheesecake available each time, then we save them for an evening treat! The soups are incredible. I have never had a bad meal. Cedar Rapids best lunch spot!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The breakfast and lunch selections are not vast but impeccable. Every bread and pastry is made on site. The salads and entrees are fantastic. I wish they were open for dinner.

1  Thank Melissa F
Reviewed May 21, 2014

What a wonderful treasure...don't let the outside appearance next to the hardware store scare you away!! I had a lovely and delicious lunch here while visiting Cedar Rapids recently. After you order at the counter and they will seat you at a table. A server will bring your food out and refill your drinks if needed.

I ordered the soup of the day, asparagus and it was sooo good! I also ordered the Croque Monsieur...I have had many in Paris and this sandwich was one of the best. There are also croissants and pastries available to purchase and I got some almond croissants to have later that day.

The staff I encountered were friendly and helpful! The restaurant is a very busy place but don't leave if there is a short wait...it is worth it!! You will not be disappointed!!