“Good but not best when travelling”
Review of Croissant du Jour - CLOSED

Croissant du Jour
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Mn
“Good but not best when travelling”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Going from St Paul to New Orleans we stopped at Croissant du Jour based on TripAdvisor recommendations. What I hadn’t picked up on was that you order at the counter and then sit down. We didn’t wait too long to get seated once we ordered – but not a perfect process for folks on the road. The grownups in the group that the food was good. I thought the Ham and Swiss quiche was very good – especially with the salad. The kids were less certain. The vegetarian sandwich was selectively eaten. The price was very reasonable – and for me it beat the heck out of burger or other heavier lunch options.

• Visited March 2013

Palm Springs, California
“Paris in Iowa”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

One of my friends introduced me to this little treasure of a cafe in Cedar Rapids, IA! The French Onion Soup is the BEST!!!!! Great pastries/desserts! They only serve lunch (11am - 2pm) & it's always crowded when I go there.

• Visited March 2013
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Go for the homemade sorbet, stay for the great lunch.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Pear sorbet is to die for but only available in the summer. Go early to get a seat at this popular lunchtime venue with great food and patisserie/boulangerie too.

Visited August 2012
Waterloo, Iowa
“Delicious and beautiful food...”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I enjoyed the lobster bisque which was truly delicious and a delightful slice of quiche. The place settings are beautiful and it is just a special place to treat yourself to a decadent meal. The pastries are tremendous and a few of them had to make a trip home with me, allegedly for breakfast the next day. It turned out that the pastries were a perfect snack for later in the day!

There is a casual air of sophistication here...the wait staff is attentive and professional. I wish I lived closer so I could enjoy this lovely restaurant more often.

• Visited August 2012
Des Moines, IA
“Great food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Don't be intimidated by the line at the door. We arrived at ~noon and had to restrain ourselves to follow recommendations of the restaurant and NOT stake out a table for our party of 5. We ordered our lunch in a timely manner; a table for 5 was created; and our food arrived in a few minutes. Many of the people in line were getting food/pastries 'to go'.

Our food was excellent! Quiche, sandwiches and soups were great. My daughter who ordered a salad w/ her quiche was eyeing my bisque throughout the meal--to no avail!

• Visited December 2012