“Value property but Clean and Good Service”

Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids
Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I recently spent one night at the Red Roof following a concert. The property is clearly a value property. The rooms exit to the outside. However, the staff allowed us to check in early. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The staff assisted us in contacting a taxi to take us to the concert. The breakfast the next morning was average but it was free. For the price we paid, the room was well worth it and fit our needs.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank THDTJ
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear THDTJ,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Trip Advisor review. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Our goal is to be clean, safe, comfortable, and economical for travelers, such as yourself. We are happy to know from your review we are meeting your needs which is our goal.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to seeing you in future travels.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had viewed the reviews at this site and booked my reservations for July 19,2014. The clerk at the desk was polite when checking us in.we had to wait appromately 15 minutes to check in ! There was some shady characters waiting to check in (several)and they were staying the week to work somewhere. One of these characters had to move out of the room we were reserved and the gave him another key for another Room.That freaked me out to begin with ! Several people had to wait as their room wasn't clean yet ! Some of these workers checking in we're filthy ! that turned me off right away! Anyway we got our room and checked out the room ! The floor was all scuffed up ! The bed spread had a stain on it ! There were flies and gnats in the room ! The walls were dirty and the ceiling had several water spots ! Not to mention the smell was bad ! After already checking in we went downtown to a Double tree Hilton And took another room ! We went back to red roof to tell them we wouldn't be staying there ! The clerk checked me out No questions (like this happened before )I did get charged a night at the red roof inn! I was there less than an hour (anyway I just could not wait to get out of there )I felt the place was unsafe with all these workers that were staying there! One group of people brought a greasy electric frying pan to use while they were there ! The whole experience grossed me out ! I feel I should have gotten my money back! Anyway the doubletree hotel was fabulous ! Learned my lesson never staying at any red roof inns ever again !

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn H
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Lynn H.,

You may not have been made aware but our hotel has contracts with several nationwide contracting and trucking companies. I am sure you saw the numerous work trucks and semi-trucks in the parking lot. Unfortunately, these people work out in the elements. We apologize that you felt uncomfortable that they were dirty from their day of work when they were checking in at the hotel.

I appreciate your comments, I would like to remedy this situation for you. Again, my apologies for the problems you experienced. I would be happy talk to you to resolve the situation. I can be reached at 319-364-2000.

Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Our goal is to be clean, safe, comfortable, and economical for travelers, whether or not they are on a work assignment.

Cheryl D.,

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

These people are incredible!!!
From the moment I arrived it was obvious they cared. Check in was fast and efficient and the lady at the desk was extremely helpful. She took the time and effort to ensure I got a convenient spot to park near my room and that it was near the grass where I could take the dogs.
The room was spacious, clean and comfortable.
And all this plus breakfast at a very reasonable rate.
I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: June 2014
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear CMackay,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

No exhaust fans in bathrooms, floor was some type of vinyl with lots of scratches, pool was not heated, pool area is no smoking but staff can smoke anywhere out side the fenced area, but dont you dare try smoking in the pool area even if you are the only one there!
Motel didnt seem to secure with what seemed like 15 to 20 homeless people just hanging out in front of the place, I guess there are 100s of truck driving students that stay here.

Room Tip: Would not recommend, there are better in the same area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank b1carr
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear b 1 carr,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

The bathrooms do have exhaust vents. You may have noticed the wall vent on the bathroom wall. There is not a separate switch, as the vent runs continious by a turbine on the roof of the building. This is for silent ventilation.

Our pool is heated, at this time of year is not necessary with 87 degree days. Not unlike city municipal pools across the country. As for smoking in the pool area. This is mandated by the department of health, no matter how many people are in the pool area. No smoking signs are posted on all 4 sides of the pool area. There is a convienience ash tray outside the pool area, so that those who want to smoke while at the pool area, can easily step outside the pool area, smoke and quickly and return.

You may not have been made aware but our hotel has a very large contract with several nationwide trucking companies. We do appreciate the fact that they are going outside to smoke, and talk with other drivers. The down side to that is that it appears that people are loitering outside. When in reality, they are smoking and talking with other drivers. The other side of that is when their trucks are in the lot, they tend to walk the parking lot at various hours of the day and night to insure the safety of the truck for which they are responsible. A huge upside to this, is that most hotels across the country have issues with cars being broken into for various things, GPS, radar detectors and such. With the truck drivers always walking the parking lot, and smoking outside, this hotel has not had any of this type of activity. The hotel is safer than most with the drivers paying such close attention to anything in the parking lot. We apologize that this made you feel uncomfortable. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Cheryl Du Charme

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a great place to stay, especially for truckers as it is located just off of I-380.

The hotel's management and staff are among the best in the hospitality industry. Customer service comes first and each customer is treated like family, as opposed to simply another customer. I recommend this hotel if in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear KanielaK,

We realize that with your profession, we don't get to see you as often as we would like. Please know that you are always welcome here at the Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids. Where we have parking for your semi. Thank you for taking the time to complete the Trip Advisor review. I appreciate your comments regarding your stays with us at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof. It is always a pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel.

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

This stay was a stop between cities, while driving. I choose this hotel over others based on reviews... not a good idea. Front desk staff was very friendly, explained how pool was heated, and just how safe it was here, due to them being the preferred hotel for a truck driving school... not sure I needed to know all that information. They offered dining ideas, which was nice. It went downhill from there. room was on the 3rd floor, carpet in halls is very stained and not at all tight, needs stretched or replaced. Room at end of hall, hoped it would be quiet, not so much, the exit door is there and others use the stairs a lot. Room looks newly refreshed, beds are not, there are holes in the sheets, and a mattress pad that kept shifting... air conditioning was cold, which is a plus. Bathroom, had mystery hair in the corners... stayed long enough to rest and then get back on the road. The staff is the only reason this isn't marked as poor

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paula H
Cheryl D, Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Traveldiva,

Thank you for taking the time to complete at Trip Advisor review. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof.

I will make sure to share your comments with our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We needed a hotel for three nights while in town for a wedding. We basically just needed a place to change clothes and sleep since I was in the wedding party and had a full schedule for the three days. The customer service was excellent when I made the reservation and when I arrived. However, I came a day earlier than my husband so before I left the hotel on Friday afternoon to head to the rehearsal, I went to the front desk and left him a key with his name on it. I explained the situation to the two women at the desk. When he arrived two hours later, he waited ten minutes while one woman checked people in and the other spent her time talking with people about how great their ratings are. He was in a hurry to get the dinner on time... When it was his turn, he told the woman his name and explained that there should be a key for him. She said she didn't have one and wouldn't let him check in without me. He explained it all again and even mentioned the fact that his name is on the credit card used for the room. Still wouldn't let him in. He couldn't reach me bc I was at rehearsal, trusting the situation was under control. He was unable to get into the room to get dressed for the dinner. So frustrating. I had the other key and was able to give him that AFTER the dinner. Upon check out I explained what had happened to the exact same woman I had left the key with (and the one who had been busy talking with customers when my husband was trying to check in) she simply said she wasn't sure why that happened because the key was sitting right there. As she 'apologized' she handed me the receipt for our stay. Nothing offered to help fix the huge inconvience and the fact that we didn't even use the room nearly as much as planned on Friday due to the lack of communication. Won't be staying again.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank mollybm
Cheryl D, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Mollybm,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Cedar Rapids Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your husband not receiving a key to your room.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Red Roof, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,