“I stay here when I go to Cedar Rapids on business”

Residence Inn Cedar Rapids
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I like continuity when I travel and I always know what to expect when I book at a Marriott property. This Residence Inn has a friendly staff and they make a nice meal for social hour each weekday night (plus free Bud Light, after a long day, I will drink anything!). I feel like I am at someones house for dinner!
The rooms are typical Residence Inn, comfortable bed, extra pillows and blankets. This property also provides a shoe shine sponge, which I needed to get rid of the "snow mud" on my shoes.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Hotel not quite up to Marriott standards. A little (a lot, actually) outdated. Plastic plants and thrift store furniture could turn a blind eye to, but.....No HDTV! Ouch. And the word must be out about being a pet friendly hotel. Had no idea that there could be so many people with dogs- barking and non barking, in a hotel on any given weekend. Worse part was actually the smell in parts of hallways. Might want to check elsewhere if anyone has allergies in your group.

That being said....Hotel was clean. Bed was comfortable. Staff was great. Breakfast was very good. Weekend rate was very good. Would return again but being a dog hotel will make us check elsewhere first.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I have used this Hotel at least 12 times in the last 3 years and was never disappointed.
The rooms are pretty comfortable, and large with a living room/kitchen and separate bedroom. The service is friendly and familar-style like.
They provide a continental breakfast and some snacks on business days.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Over the past decade, I've stayed at this hotel on at least 20 occasions so I feel as if I know it well. I wouldn't choose to stay here on my own because of frequent and recurring issues, but the school that I work for has a long-standing agreement for a discounted rate at the hotel, so I'm stuck.
A few redeeming qualities of the hotel:
-Location is near a pretty nice nature trail that offers a place to run, walk or bike from spring through fall.
-Noise in the hotel is generally not a problem, as it's frequented by business travelers.
-Breakfast is typical Residence Inn, which is fine.
-Near lots of restaurants and shopping.

The problems with this hotel are plentiful and disappointing.
-Old televisions that severely need updating.
-Business Center is a relative term, when it's literally stuffed into a closet (No, I'm NOT
exxaggerating,...A CLOSET!) and features ONE computer!
-Selections at evening manager's reception have grown cheaper over the years, especially in drink selections. They're doing the bare minimum to cover the requirement
of a reception
-Rooms are looking old. Furnishings looking old. Fixtures old. ETC!
-The biggest problem with this hotel however, is with a number of the staff. The staff routinely loses deposits, credit card authorizations by my company, and reservation
details. How this is possible in the computer age is beyond me, but this hotel manages to do it on literally 60-80% of my stays. Then, when the problems are pointed out, I'm always made to feel as if the problem was MY fault for inconveniencing them with the issues! The late night staff is especially rude and disgusting, and often foregoes manning the front desk in deference to watching television is the back office. You have to clear your throat and call out loudly to get them to grudgingly come out and provide service.
-On my current stay, I was placed on the 3rd floor, then informed the only elevator was broken!!!
-Fitness room has one treadmill, which has been broken on 2 of my last 4 stays!

Marriott really has some work to do at this location, as I stay at other Residence Inns that are a wonderful delight to stay at. Better employee training, common decency, and a HECK OF A LOT of updating would make this a place far more enjoyable to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank damonandtina
TharaldsonCorporate, Owner at Residence Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel and I want to assure you that these issues are being addressed! We value all of our guests' feedback and use it to evaluate what can be done to improve our hotel as well as what we are doing right. We hope with our continued efforts to improve, you will continue to stay at Cedar Rapids Residence Inn next time you stay in the area.

Reviewed November 27, 2009

I booked this stay because of the awesome experiences we've had at other Residence Inns. NOT THE CASE HERE! This is the worst Residence Inn I've ever stayed at. I reserved a one bedroom room. When we checked in we were assigned to a studio. I have 2 small children, so this was not acceptable. We went back to the front desk and they put us in a 2 bedroom for no additional charge because they had overbooked the 1 bedrooms. I was very excited about staying in the 2 bedroom because that is what I originally wanted, but was not willing to pay the difference for one more bedroom and a fireplace. We found soiled towels in our guest bathroom. When we approached the staff about it, they did not even apologize. The fireplace did not function the entire stay. I asked for someone to fix it, but they never showed up. When I questioned the front desk, she said, "I guess they didn't come." You don't say?!? The mattress in the master bedroom was so uncomfortable I had to sleep in my children's bed. My entire back ached after sleeping on it for two nights and I could barely put my shoes on. (I am an active 30 year old mother of two who runs 5K's.) The kitchen sink barely drains. I will never stay here again. My husband's family lives here and we usually come up for Thanksgiving. I will find somewhere that has staff who take pride in what they do.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Pretty good place to stay. The employees did a great job to accommodate us and make us feel at home. A few minutes down the road are all kinds of restaurants and a mall for shopping. Nice pool area and workout room. The only down side from our stay is you can hear traffic noise from the window. Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Our family stayed at the Cedar Rapids Residence Inn this past weekend. Our party consisted of my husband, toddler, my father, and me. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted with a lobby sign saying I was their "guest of the day". A nice touch that made me feel like a valued customer!

We stayed in a two bedroom suite, which was $189/night. Well worth it! Each bedroom had its own private bath. The beds were incredibly comfortable, and the rooms were of decent size. The entire hotel was in excellent condition; in fact, I mistakenly thought it was only 2-3 years old and later found out it was over 11 years old.

The living room area had a nice fireplace, and the kitchen had enough amenties for a long weekend. Since we were there for a wedding we didn't have much occasion to use the kitchen to its fullest extent. There was definitely enough room for our 1 1/2 year old to ride his little bike and trucks around the room. Very comfy.

The staff always greeted us with a smile and a hello. The breakfast was quite good... there were a number of hot items such as eggs, sausage, biscuits/gravy, waffles along with the standard juice and muffins. The coffee was excellent. We enjoyed the swimming pool quite a bit, which was a good size and never crowded.

I'd recommend this hotel to any family visiting Cedar Rapids who is looking for someplace quiet and comfortable. The only drawback was our room was on the north side of the hotel, which faces the on ramp to a highway. Other than that, we hope to return again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family