“Great staff in North Cedar Rapids”

Residence Inn Cedar Rapids
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Champaign, Illinois
“Great staff in North Cedar Rapids”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in the Cedar Rapids Residence Inn this weekend to watch our daughter graduate from the University of Iowa. The hotel is about 35 minutes from the university, but on graduation weekend is was our only hope in getting two suites. The hotel was well kept and the staff was very pleasant. The free breakfast was good (and available earlier than advertised!) and the internet was reasonably fast. So even though the trips in to Iowa City were longer than we have have liked, the visit was a success for all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have stayed here often while in Cedar Rapids on business over the past several years. It is in a convenient location on the north end of town. The property was renovated recently and the rooms are well designed. The staff is among the most welcoming and helpful of any Marriott property you will find, truly fulfilling the company's spirit to serve. I have only ever had two complaints. First, if you stay on one of the upper floors, there are blindingly bright lights outside the windows to light up the property. If you prefer to sleep in total darkness as I do, you may find yourself stuffing towels over the curtains to keep the glare out. Seriously, one could read a novel with the room light out and the drapes open here. Second, avoid the first floor west wing if you value peace and quite. This is where they permit pets. Each time I've been on that floor, I have been woken at zero dark hundred by howling, barking packs of dogs and their none too friendly and overly entitled owners. For these two reasons, I now stay a bit farther down the road at the Fairfield.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor for the blinding klieg lights. Avoid the first floor west wing for the howling...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Cedar Rapids Resience Inn we greatly appreciate your business. We are glad that you have found our staff very helpful. We take a lot of pride is the service we provide to our guests. I do apologize for the light coming in the windows this is something our maintenance staff is looking into to see if we can find a better solution. As for the pet situation, we are looking for a better answer to that as well. We strive to provide the best service to all Marriott guest. We value your feedback and again; thank you for your business.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my first time staying at a Residence Inn and my daughter and I were really impressed. The staff were very attentive and very nice. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We had a king/1 bedroom suite and we enjoyed having the extra space. The Managers dinner was excellent and so was the breakfast. Clean, good location and quiet! We would definetly stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn - Cedar Rapids on business for two weeks. It was fantastic. The rooms are open and clean. The kitchenette features a FULL SIZE REFRIGERATOR, cupboards with dishes, pots, pans, etc. with a microwave, stove top and kitchen sink. They even stock it with paper towels, cloth towels and some minor snacks. Marble-looking/feeling countertops made me feel special, too.
TWO televisions (one in the bedroom, one in the living room) and a LARGE desk space for my laptop and to spread out. There was a small closet to hang my coat WITH A DOOR (it was nice to have it disappear instead of the open rack hanging in most hotels). There were a lot of little things that I appreciated. Full size closet with sliding mirrored doors. A little table area when you walk right inside the door to drop your keys and bag. Four fluffy pillows (one inevitably found its way to the long L-shaped couch in the living room).
The staff were friendly, especially in the morning as weary travelers were gathering their breakfast and coffee. REAL scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, potatoes with onions and green peppers - breakfast was delicious. You can make waffles for yourself, too (I indulged one morning - fresh strawberries and blueberries besides just syrup available).
I used the guest laundry facility - clean and easy - laundry soap was 50c and a package of two dryer sheets was another 50c. I wasn't worried about theft or damage - everyone seemed well-behaved, and since we were seeing each other at breakfast - people were generally friendly.
I know they served dinner at the hotel, but frankly, I was attending business dinners so I did not partake, so I have no comment. Frankly, there are a lot of great restaurants nearby, so I went there.
I've been staying at a lot of other hotels in other cities that are not even CLOSE to how nice this hotel was... they really did a great job making me feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Recently stayed at the Residence Inn when I was in town to visit family. Booked two rooms. My biggest complaint about this place was my room location. I was in room 101, and right outside our room, and on the sofa was a terrible strong perfume smell. Well, when I opened up the pull out bed, a lighter flew out at me. So i'm guessing a previous guest was smoking in there, and hosed it down with perfume to cover up the smell. Also, we were closest to the exit, therefore, we could hear people at most hours of the night outside our room smoking, and therefore could hear them entering/leaving several times.

and on for the good. The room size was great. King size bed was very comfy and the full kitchen is nice. The breakfast was TERRIFIC both days, very fresh and warm. The hottub and pool area was very clean and warm. The location was perfect for us. And I would absolutely stay in this hotel again, just request a different room.

Room Tip: Request room on 2nd or 3rd floor.
Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Westville, Indiana
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at Residence Inn in Cedar Rapids while I was in town for business, and I was pleasantly surprised at the choice of lodging. The rooms were wonderful - there was a full-size fridge, a big living room and separate bedroom area. There were 2 televisions and even a really nice sofa. The bathroom was just a normal hotel bathroom, but everything was clean. I would definitely stay here again. As a side note, because I didn't pay for the room, I don't know how the rates were.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Clearwater/Tampa Bay Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed at many different places in Cedar Rapids and I think I've found the one I will continue to stay at during my frequent visits to this city. Some real strong good points with the Residence Inn. The room was great - very clean with a nicely appointed kitchen that included full fridge, counter top stove, micro and dishwasher. The bed was extremely comfortable and sitting and desk area spacious and comfortable. The complementary breakfast was above average -nice selection and fresh. The staff was terrific - very friendly and engaging. They even provide a service where you can give them a grocery list and they will stock your suite, adding the grocery charges to your room bill. That is a very nice amenity.

Only two complaints. On the first floor of the hotel there is a faint, but distinct, pet urine odor. I did not pick this up on the second floor (there are three total) where I was located. With a pet friendly policy I'm not sure what they can do about this, so if you don't have pets I would recommend a higher floor.

The second complaint was that while sleep during the night was very quite and restful, unless you are on the same schedule as the person in the room above you, you are likely to be awaken when they get up in the morning. I was in the last room on the 2nd floor and every day of my 4 day stay I was roused from sleep by the person above me at 5 a.m. when they got up. First you hear them walking so that it sounds like they are in the room with you, the running water and pinging pipes are like an annoying alarm. Don't know if it was just the room I was in or not, but it was a pain in the neck.

Overall, great value, nice staff, clean facilities. I will be back, however I will be requesting a room on the top floor to ensure a more restfull morning.

Room Tip: Go with a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ClearwaterJen
residenceinncr, Manager at Residence Inn Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay. I am pleased to find you enjoyed our staff, breakfast, and recent room renovations. However, I apologize we did not provide you with the full experience you expected while staying at our hotel. I would be more than happy to reserve a room for you on the top floor next time you stay with us; guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance and we are always looking for ways to improve. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Sincerely,