“awesome wedding planner”

Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
belle plaine
“awesome wedding planner”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We have a great wedding planner. Our wedding isn't until April of 2012 and she is on top of everything!!!. She goes the extra mile to come in when she is off work to work with our schedule. She is very caring. Thank you samantha and we are looking forward to working with you for the next 7 months. Very nice facility as well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank stephanie t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We booked a room online, which we have done at hotels across the country with great success. When we opened the door to the room they gave us, it had a Murphy bed. (You know the kind that folds up into the wall.) I didn't think they still made those. It was tiny. When we went to the front desk, the woman told us that they give those "bad rooms" to people who get a good rate online. At least she was honest. She was very nice and helpful and the only reason this hotel got rated "poor" instead of "terrible."

Even if you do book through the hotel and pay more, the rooms are completely outdated, small, and dingy. (A family member was also staying at this hotel.) You can get a much nicer room at a much cheaper rate somewhere else.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa F
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
We apologize for the confusion and disappointment that you experienced when booking through a third-party online booking site. Our Murphy Bed or wallbed rooms are preferred by many business travelers who can fold up the bed and use their guestroom for meetings. When booking online, it is the guest that books the room type, but unfortunately this detail about the wallbed was not clearly noted on some of the the third-party sites. We have taken steps to correct this deficiency, and whenever possible we would gladly move a guest to another room type if they are unhappy with the room type that they booked, which is what should have happened in this case. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and helping us improve our service for a better guest experience.
Deltona, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I recently visited the Clarion Hotel in Cedar Rapids, IA. In this case I am 67 years of age and was required to fly for the first time in my life and as a result my family was quite concerned that I arrive safely. When I finally arrived at the hotel (after 2 flights and delays) the Desk Manager greeted me with genuine concern and noted that she had received calls for me. Although I only stayed the one night I can assure you that I was quite taken with their general concern for me and arranged my travel, shuttle service etc. I felt compelled to publicly thank these folks for making me feel very comfortable and truly went above and beyond the call of duty.

My genuine heartfelt thanks

Michael A. Godin
Deltona, Florida

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
West Branch, Iowa
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I am a Creative Memories consultant and we had our National Scrapbook Day event at the Clarion this year. My mother, a friend and I also decided to stay at the hotel the night before and the night of so that we didn't have to leave early Saturday morning or go home late Saturday evening, even though I live about 45 minutes away and Mom lives another half hour from me. From the time we checked in and until we checked out, everyone was friendly and helpful. The staff was always going out of their way to make sure that our needs were met.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Brainerd, Minnesota
Reviewed March 10, 2011

It was 3 am, drip, drip, drip woke me up! The air conditioning/heating unit noise was bad enough but I could block that enough to sleep. Then it started to rain, followed by an obvious leak somewhere. How do block that annoying sound? You don't. Upon investigating I find this is not a new leak, it's been there quite some time! At 3 am I was moving furniture to find the source of the drip. Black colored mold spots on the carpet and wall behind a chair. They were covered by new black colored mold spots. They had obviously been there for quite some time! So I went to the front desk and told the manager on duty about it. What was I told? "We'll make note of it". No room change, no concern, no grabbing a piece of paper and writing it down! Nothing! I can't stay there again. I'll figure something out the next time I have to go near Cedar Rapids!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank cqui2004
ClarionHotel1, General Manager at Clarion Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
We are very concerned about keeping our customers healthy, and would never knowingly rent a room which leaks or shows signs of mold. We regret that the night clerk did not follow procedure by writing a work order immediately identifying the problem to our maintenance staff and also offering this guest another room to sleep in. All front desk staff has since been reminded of these procedures so we don't have a repeat of this. In addition, we have assigned a person from maintenance to be our "room condition engineer", and he is going through every room as they become vacant to fix any problems before we rent the room again.
Waukon, Iowa
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I recently stayed here for a BPA state conference. The location was perfect and I loved using the work out room. But unfortunately I found this hotel needs many updates in and out of the rooms. Plug ins were old, tv old, and also the heater very loud when it did kick on it woke me up. Also I would recommend using real eggs with their continental breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Rebecca B
As this reviewer observes, we have begun the process of updating our hotel in areas such as our fitness center. Some room updates have also been made - our 6th floor Executive Rooms are equipped with 32" LCD TVs, organic foam mattresses, and other improved amenities. By the end of this year, all rooms will have digital TVs and other upgrades will be ongoing. Please note that we are serving real eggs on our free breakfast buffet - the same brand served by 90% of the hotels in our areas. You can also order a fresh omelettte, Eggs Benedict, etc. for a minimal charge.
Lincoln, Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The only thing I DON'T have a complaint for is that fact that housekeeping was very polite and helpful. Other than that, this hotel was awful!
The hotel itself is NOT very nice. It was dingy and outdated for the price to room there, carpets old and stained and just the overall feel and decor, other than in the lobby, was terrible. It had the lobby of a five star hotel and everywhere else looked like that of the Budget Inn.
First things first, the Wi-Fi was out and had been for awhile from what we were told. It worked in the lobby SOMETIMES but no where else in the hotel.
Secondly, only HALF the rooms have a microwave. We were told that by the hotel staff. They did eventually find us one (only after we asked housekeeping), but it was advertized that our room CAME with one. My friends next door HAD one and paid the same price. Favoritism among guests? Bait and switch? I don't know, but either way, the room was not equipped with what was advertized in all rooms.
Third, our toilet broke and ran constantly, which was a mild nuisance. It was fixed quickly, but you could tell that their rooms did not get usual maintenance.
Fourth. the staff was not properly informed on how to do their job. Upon leaving checkout we were told by front desk that it was up to housekeeping if we could have a few minutes to finish clearing the room. Also, we were quoted the wrong price and ended up having to pay an extra 20 dollars we hadn't left in our budget due to staff incompetency. When we called for that, I was treated VERY rudely by the manager herself. She immediately got defensive saying HER staff would never quote me a price of 95 which is a number she came up with herself, never asking me WHAT price they gave me. Once I mentioned that, she asked what the price was, I told her, and she "apologized" but nothing got done even though it WAS her staff's fault entirely (she admitted that herself.)
Fifth, one bathroom at the hotel was disgustingly dirty and the second was so wet on the floor I slid and almost fell, catching myself on the bathroom stall. No wet floor sign had been put up because the maintenance woman right outside the door hadn't gotten to it yet. We watched her sit outside smoking a cigarette, her cart unattended by the bathroom door. We considered putting the sign up for her, it was sitting right there inside the cart, but figured that would ultimately bite us in the butt and instead told the front desk.
Another random thing, to cool down one of the conference rooms, they put a fan in the window connecting the pool and the room. The room was then suffocated by the smell of chlorine, it was literally choking guests and the events in that room had to be cancelled.
The walls were also paper thin, so you could hear everything going on next to you. Also, the scenery around the hotel, was awful, our room giving us a wonderful view of the freeway. There were also no decorations outside the hotel. It was within good walking distance of a tacobell, but thats about it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gabe89
Guest service is our number one priority, and we thank this reviewer for noticing that our staff was, for the most part, polite and quick to respond. We had some Wi-Fi issues at the time of this conference, but never lost Wi-Fi in the public areas or wired internet in the guestrooms, and were providing extra-long cables upon request. We now have extra Wi-Fi routers for backup in case a similar problem arises again, and have also beefed up our bandwidth. We have spare microwaves available upon request. Because of the large number of conference attendees, our custodial staff was a bit overwhelmed, so sorry about the unusual state of our public bathrooms - we will add more staff for the next BPA conference. Another unlucky coincidence was the breakdown of the air exchanger in the pool room just prior to BPA; I apologize that the emergency measures caused you discomfort and we have since addressed the problem.