“Nothing fancy, I would not recommed it for a non smoker.”

Quality Inn at Collins Road
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel has been recently renovated and rooms are fresh with comfortable beds. The breakfast was decent and parking secure, but as mentioned in previous reviews thay have a problem with non smoking rooms. I was booked in a non smoking room but it smelled as someone just spent a night smoking non stop there. I ask for another room and that one was a little better but I could still smell it. Both rooms were marked as non smoking rooms and they were on the first floor (all of their smoking rooms are located on the second floor). Overall just an average or slightly below average experience, and not a great value, unless you are a smoker.

• Stayed: September 2013
CR_ComfortNorth, Manager at Quality Inn at Collins Road, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Booked a non-smoking room and the room was labeled non-smoking. However, it had been a smoking room in the past as the furnishings, carpet and drapes still smelled like smoke. Also, two prominent carpet burns at the vanity. The air conditioner was functional but it clanked whenever it kicked in and was enough to wake you up during the night. Breakfast was typical fare with waffles, breads, eggs, and very hard biscuits. I booked on-line and the price was good, but I will probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Comfort Inn North.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the smoking odor in your room on your recent visit. We do have a small portion of smoking rooms, which we try to keep in one centralized area of the hotel. We are still completing some renovations. I value you bringing this issue forward and we are working on correcting it.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Cedar Rapids.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is very much a typical Comfort Inn. My room was clean and the housekeeping did clean my room ro my satisfaction. I know some properties of a similiar rating have dirty rooms, but mine was clean. The breafast was satisfying. For lunch or dinner there are many choices within walking distance of this property. The front desk staff was friendly and answered questions I had. Like most properties today there is free internet available at this property.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed one night and found the place to be average, but not great. First impressions were not good, saying "we are right next to Rockwell Collins, so we are going to sell rooms based on location, so we just don't care about the details". We got to walk past a bucket full of cigarette butts floating in water just outside the front door and found a distinct smell of stale cigarette smoke in the lobby and hallways. I guess I've just been spoiled by staying at mostly 100% smoke free hotels. Check in was reasonably quick, despite the fact that there appeared to be only one person working and she must have had several calls on hold with more coming in. I was given a little package of snacks and a bottle of water as a Choice Privileges member. Our room was non-smoking, but there was still a hint of an unpleasant smoke odor. Other than that, the room was clean and comfortable. It's an older style room layout with the sink outside and the shower and toilet in a very small separate bathroom space. On the plus side, there was plenty of hot water with good water pressure. My biggest disappointment with the hotel, though, was the unreliable wireless network. It took several tries to get each of our devices connected, it was very slow while we were connected, and connections kept getting dropped, requiring a trip back through the (slow and unreliable) device registration. I mentioned this at the front desk at checkout, and was referred to the support number. I also used the fitness center briefly. The equipment was older but working and served its purpose, but I was kind of put off by the 4 old and partially disassembled heat/ac units that were piled in the fitness room along the wall. In the morning, we found the breakfast to be above average in variety and quality. I also appreciate that we were not rushed out of the breakfast room even though we got down there just 5 minutes before breakfast ended. So it wasn't a horrible experience by any means, but I'd try a different place if I stay in Cedar Rapids again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very clean Comfort Inn. People were friendly. Good breakfast. Really liked the location. Plenty of restaurants and shopping just down the road. Plenty of restaurants and shopping malls just down the road.

Room Tip: Get first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Cedar Rapids Comfort Inn North for 11 nights. It is clean and has no odd odors. The furnishings and bedding could stand updating, but it was not bad at all. This is an older hotel and it is starting to show, but there was nothing specific to complain about --a few updates, newer shower surrounds and new bedding would do a lot to improve this hotel.
It was quiet and I slept like a baby every night. I would stay at this hotel again.
The breakfast was okay, the usual, cooked eggs, hard-boiled eggs, sausage gravy, sausage, yogurt, waffles, cereal, fruit.... the usual free continental breakfast that most hotels offer.
There are tons of restaurants about a mile down the road and lots of shopping nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here 10/2. Hotel is right next to the Rockwell Collins facility and has ample free parking. We found the desk staff to be just fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. Gave us a snack pack and bottled water for being a Choice Diamond member which was a nice touch.

Our 2 queen room had all amenities and was very clean. The hot breakfast was also quite good. We felt the management team showed pride of ownership. Our price with tax was 70..55 which we thought was an excellent value.

Room Tip: Several excellent restaurants within a few blocks.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple