“Nice,clean,place”

Quality Inn at Collins Road
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very clean Comfort Inn. People were friendly. Good breakfast. Really liked the location. Plenty of restaurants and shopping just down the road. Plenty of restaurants and shopping malls just down the road.

Room Tip: Get first floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Cedar Rapids Comfort Inn North for 11 nights. It is clean and has no odd odors. The furnishings and bedding could stand updating, but it was not bad at all. This is an older hotel and it is starting to show, but there was nothing specific to complain about --a few updates, newer shower surrounds and new bedding would do a lot to improve this hotel.
It was quiet and I slept like a baby every night. I would stay at this hotel again.
The breakfast was okay, the usual, cooked eggs, hard-boiled eggs, sausage gravy, sausage, yogurt, waffles, cereal, fruit.... the usual free continental breakfast that most hotels offer.
There are tons of restaurants about a mile down the road and lots of shopping nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here 10/2. Hotel is right next to the Rockwell Collins facility and has ample free parking. We found the desk staff to be just fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. Gave us a snack pack and bottled water for being a Choice Diamond member which was a nice touch.

Our 2 queen room had all amenities and was very clean. The hot breakfast was also quite good. We felt the management team showed pride of ownership. Our price with tax was 70..55 which we thought was an excellent value.

Room Tip: Several excellent restaurants within a few blocks.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I always stay at the Baymont but upon walking in ...i found out that they were full. So, after enjoying one of their complimentary cookies, i headed to the Comfort inn around the corner.

Interesting set up. Small parking lot in front of the entrance and plenty of parking in the main area. The desk attendants were very friendly And helpful. They recommended the hot breakfast for the morning. I checked into my room. It faced the wall of the rockwell building next door. MAybe ten feet between them. Talk about "privacy". Weird. But it was getting dark and i just needed a place to stay. The room was comfortable but the mattress sunk in the middle. It reminded me of my personal mattress that i recently threw away when the replacement was delivered. A lousy nights' sleep on that mattress. I guess i should have moved to the second bed in the room but i did not.

About ten oclock that night i caught a strong scent of cigarette smoke. It lasted most of the night. My room was almost all the way down the hall to the end entrance so maybe some smokers were hanging out ? I hate cigarette smoke so i was not really happy about the smell, It is one reason i dont stay at Super 8.

Im glad that i was only going to be here one night.

I was pleased that the breakfast was set up just prior to 6:00 a m. I needed to leave by 6:00 so i was able to enjoy the breakfast .. Which offered bisquits (better microwave them) the eggs and sausage. It was fine.

If i cannot check into the Baymont, i would come back here but i hope they figure out where the cig smoke comes from. I it happens a second time, then i will not return. (another reviewer mentioned this too)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Last minute overnight trip and all of the other hotels nearby were sold out. They referred me to this facility. So without other options, I stayed the night here. The room was a non-smoking, but it reeked of smoke. Nice flatscreen TV and a decent breakfast, but everything else was old and less than appealing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Huberm
Reviewed September 6, 2012

An average Comfort Inn, adequate for our stay. BUT, after reserving with a credit card, we decided to pay with cash. After paying, we were asked to pay a $50 "deposit". When we asked why, we were just told that was their policy. I was later informed that this is for any damage done to the room, but the room wasn't looked at before we left. Fortunately we had the money, but were not expecting an added expense. We could have left our credit card #, but that wasn't the point. We have not had this happen at other Comfort Inns.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This location is about 50 rooms on two floors with no elevator. It is in the process of continuing renovation. The carpets in the first floor and lobby looked new as well as the other flooring services in the area. The breakfast area across from the hall access doorway was hard to tell if it was still in renovation or what was going on. Tacking paper was on a counter to the left under a television and could have been used as fly paper for the number of house flies that landed on my while I tried to eat my breakfast. The food selections were ample for the number of rooms at the location. They included hard boiled eggs and yogurt in a refrigerator. Orange, Apples and Bananas in a basket, though the apples were bruised and possibly attracting the fruit flies. There were hot sausage patties and egg patties in a chaffing dish with biscuits and gravy. There were packaged pastries, bread, cereal and a waffle make. The furniture is too large for the room, so 7 people made the room feel crowded.
The room was generally clean with a lingering nicotine smell present when sitting and doing work at my computer. It was a background smell and the room was a no smoking room. I think it was odor from prior years embedded in the floors or walls. The sink had 3 old cirgarette marks, the tub had about 7 marks. The ceiling about the shower head had large rust stains, but did not appear to have a current leak. The bedding and room seemed older, but maintained and clean. The beds were way too soft. If my wife had been with me the bed would have sunk even further.
This is a close one. I would probably return because the renovations appear to be ongoing and someone does appear to care about the property. The side lot is not that far from the entrance and I would be comfortable parking in either lot. The breakfast was plentiful, but the tack paper and the counter top of pressed board was weird.

Room Tip: This is a two floor facility with no elevator. There did not seem to be an advantage to either side...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business