“beware”

Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Lawrence, Kansas
“beware”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

An average Comfort Inn, adequate for our stay. BUT, after reserving with a credit card, we decided to pay with cash. After paying, we were asked to pay a $50 "deposit". When we asked why, we were just told that was their policy. I was later informed that this is for any damage done to the room, but the room wasn't looked at before we left. Fortunately we had the money, but were not expecting an added expense. We could have left our credit card #, but that wasn't the point. We have not had this happen at other Comfort Inns.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Gonic, NH
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This location is about 50 rooms on two floors with no elevator. It is in the process of continuing renovation. The carpets in the first floor and lobby looked new as well as the other flooring services in the area. The breakfast area across from the hall access doorway was hard to tell if it was still in renovation or what was going on. Tacking paper was on a counter to the left under a television and could have been used as fly paper for the number of house flies that landed on my while I tried to eat my breakfast. The food selections were ample for the number of rooms at the location. They included hard boiled eggs and yogurt in a refrigerator. Orange, Apples and Bananas in a basket, though the apples were bruised and possibly attracting the fruit flies. There were hot sausage patties and egg patties in a chaffing dish with biscuits and gravy. There were packaged pastries, bread, cereal and a waffle make. The furniture is too large for the room, so 7 people made the room feel crowded.
The room was generally clean with a lingering nicotine smell present when sitting and doing work at my computer. It was a background smell and the room was a no smoking room. I think it was odor from prior years embedded in the floors or walls. The sink had 3 old cirgarette marks, the tub had about 7 marks. The ceiling about the shower head had large rust stains, but did not appear to have a current leak. The bedding and room seemed older, but maintained and clean. The beds were way too soft. If my wife had been with me the bed would have sunk even further.
This is a close one. I would probably return because the renovations appear to be ongoing and someone does appear to care about the property. The side lot is not that far from the entrance and I would be comfortable parking in either lot. The breakfast was plentiful, but the tack paper and the counter top of pressed board was weird.

Room Tip: This is a two floor facility with no elevator. There did not seem to be an advantage to either side...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Des Moines
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a camping trip go awry this weekend, and in our moment of need, at 11:45 pm on Friday night, we came into this hotel, hoping for some help. The gal at the desk was courteous and gave us a discount on the room, however, this hotel was under renovation. I was very concerned, but she assuaged my concerns by putting us in a room away from the work going on at the time. However, the parking lot only had one available space due to construction equipment, and all the areas outside are very dirty and muddy from the renovation work. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and we weren't awakened by any renovation work, so that was all a positive. I did think with the renovation and the hotel clearly in need of some inside work, the rate would be a bit cheaper/more heavily discounted. But the staff did help us when we needed. Check out was smooth and easy. The breakfast though, seriously lacking. You guys should consult with Heartland inns on how to do a proper breakfast because what you provided was pretty average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this through the corporate website & it never mentioned that it was under construction for renovations. There was scaffolding, work trucks & trailers crowding the front parking lot which meant that guests had to park on the side of the building if you weren't one of the lucky 10 who could park in front.

When I complained I was told I could get $5 credited per night. When I said that wasn't enough, the general manager said that's all I would get. I called the corporate office & complained. The general manager then decided to recharge me $10 + tax!

The corporate office did end up refunding one night but the GM at this location is PETTY!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JoLynda H
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 9 years ago and was pleased with that experience. This time, however, was a different story. I was very disappointed to arrive at this hotel only to find that it was being renovated. The hotel failed to post that information on their site, so we pulled up to find scaffolding surrounding the hotel and painters' plastic taped over the windows. Nothing like waking up in the morning to see guys outside the window putting up stucco and color....NOT!

There was no working elevator either. Granted, it's only 2 floors, but when you've been on the road for 6 hours after being at work all day, the last thing you want to do is haul luggage and a baby's pack-n-play up some stairs.

The second night we returned to find no parking spaces in front of the hotel. Why? There was a semi-trailer with all the renovation supplies taking up at least 5-7 spaces. Ridiculous.

When I spoke with the front desk I was told they could discount the room $5. Really? IF you had posted the renovation on the site, like you are suppose to do, I wouldn't have booked a room there at all. I would have been able to find another room for the amount we were charged. When I said I would contact Guest Relations through the 1-800 # I was told that corporate was aware of the renovations. Well when I called they had no indication that this hotel was being renovated.

Extremely disappointed in the hotel's response and even more frustrated because I had my sister book a room there also. The rooms were decent and we did like having a fridge in there, but I did not like seeing debris on the lobby carpet from renovations, hauling stuff up the stairs due to no elevator, not informing customers of the current state of the hotel, lack of Wi-Fi (it was knocked out due to a storm but took over 24 hours to get back online), and having to park in a nearby parking lot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I'm not typically a fan of mid and lower end chain hotels, but we needed a last minute place to stay on a road trip. Upon entering, the lobby was okay but I wasn't expecting much from the rooms based on the lobby. However our room looked recently refurbished with nice looking furnishings. Very clean as well. We were on the first floor not too far down from the lobby, which was nice as the hallways were a bit dreary, so I'm glad we didn't have to walk too far. Breakfast had a bit to be desired..no fruit at all. Just a bunch of carb loaded food. A little variety would be nice. But if you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay that is clean and rooms are up to date, this would be a good choice. Better than I pictured a Comfort Inn to be.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Older hotel, with double beds instead of the promised queens. There was a sign at the front desk warning that there was to be no one in the halls after 10 PM. Unfortunately, this was not enforced, as there were children playing volleyball in the hall just outside our room until well after that, with no intervention from management. Also, apparently there were elephants or pogo sticks in the room above us. I would not have been surprised to see a foot come thru the ceiling.

Parking is very limited, bathroom is barely big enough to turn around in. Breakfast was completely wiped out by the time we got there at 7:00 AM. Do not recommend.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, try to get a upper floor; it has to be a little quieter up there!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family