“This hotel sucks!!”

Quality Inn at Collins Road
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I booked this through the corporate website & it never mentioned that it was under construction for renovations. There was scaffolding, work trucks & trailers crowding the front parking lot which meant that guests had to park on the side of the building if you weren't one of the lucky 10 who could park in front.

When I complained I was told I could get $5 credited per night. When I said that wasn't enough, the general manager said that's all I would get. I called the corporate office & complained. The general manager then decided to recharge me $10 + tax!

The corporate office did end up refunding one night but the GM at this location is PETTY!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JoLynda H

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 9 years ago and was pleased with that experience. This time, however, was a different story. I was very disappointed to arrive at this hotel only to find that it was being renovated. The hotel failed to post that information on their site, so we pulled up to find scaffolding surrounding the hotel and painters' plastic taped over the windows. Nothing like waking up in the morning to see guys outside the window putting up stucco and color....NOT!

There was no working elevator either. Granted, it's only 2 floors, but when you've been on the road for 6 hours after being at work all day, the last thing you want to do is haul luggage and a baby's pack-n-play up some stairs.

The second night we returned to find no parking spaces in front of the hotel. Why? There was a semi-trailer with all the renovation supplies taking up at least 5-7 spaces. Ridiculous.

When I spoke with the front desk I was told they could discount the room $5. Really? IF you had posted the renovation on the site, like you are suppose to do, I wouldn't have booked a room there at all. I would have been able to find another room for the amount we were charged. When I said I would contact Guest Relations through the 1-800 # I was told that corporate was aware of the renovations. Well when I called they had no indication that this hotel was being renovated.

Extremely disappointed in the hotel's response and even more frustrated because I had my sister book a room there also. The rooms were decent and we did like having a fridge in there, but I did not like seeing debris on the lobby carpet from renovations, hauling stuff up the stairs due to no elevator, not informing customers of the current state of the hotel, lack of Wi-Fi (it was knocked out due to a storm but took over 24 hours to get back online), and having to park in a nearby parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I'm not typically a fan of mid and lower end chain hotels, but we needed a last minute place to stay on a road trip. Upon entering, the lobby was okay but I wasn't expecting much from the rooms based on the lobby. However our room looked recently refurbished with nice looking furnishings. Very clean as well. We were on the first floor not too far down from the lobby, which was nice as the hallways were a bit dreary, so I'm glad we didn't have to walk too far. Breakfast had a bit to be desired..no fruit at all. Just a bunch of carb loaded food. A little variety would be nice. But if you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay that is clean and rooms are up to date, this would be a good choice. Better than I pictured a Comfort Inn to be.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Older hotel, with double beds instead of the promised queens. There was a sign at the front desk warning that there was to be no one in the halls after 10 PM. Unfortunately, this was not enforced, as there were children playing volleyball in the hall just outside our room until well after that, with no intervention from management. Also, apparently there were elephants or pogo sticks in the room above us. I would not have been surprised to see a foot come thru the ceiling.

Parking is very limited, bathroom is barely big enough to turn around in. Breakfast was completely wiped out by the time we got there at 7:00 AM. Do not recommend.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, try to get a upper floor; it has to be a little quieter up there!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank katrinemo
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This isn't the fanciest Comfort Inn we've stayed in, but our room was comfortable, clean and very quiet. The continental breakfast was routine, but the space was clean and there was plenty of food. Our only concern was that the parking lot was small and when we returned about 9 pm on a Saturday evening, we had to park in the overflow lot which was between the motel and a very busy street, out of eyesight of all the rooms and the lobby. Be sure to ask for your safe usage money back. As with other Comfort Inns, the charge is automatically added to the bill but it will be removed if you remember to ask for it when you check out. There are a number of good restaurants in the area and it's easy to locate east of I-380 in the Rockwell Collins area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank fwork
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Employees were friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and well kept. Didn't much like the cigarette smoke which drifted down from upstairs. Be sure to request a first floor non - smoking room.

Room Tip: Request a non -smoking room on the first floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank familytraveler812
Reviewed September 29, 2011

the rooms were very nice and good sized. very clean and the staff very helpful. but the breakfast was basically a waffle and coffee. i was somewhat disappointed. most comfort inns have a good selection. not here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family